Continued event updates via fan submitted ideas?

General discussion about the game.
fischbs

Continued event updates via fan submitted ideas?

Postby fischbs » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:23 am

I think this is a great game. It feels like Oregon trail in space. I always name my starting crew after a member of my family or a friend I'm chatting to on steam at the time because it makes it all the more enjoyable. I really feel like a god damned space captain out there making life or death decisions at every turn, and this is honestly an experience that is sorely lacking on a gaming market that is overly saturated with over budgeted rehashes.

I think allowing players to submit events on the front page in an easy format would make keeping this game fresh and updated feeling very very easy. You don't really need to moderate them too harshly either, just give an up/down vote option and allow good ones to float to the top before skimming it off and working it into the game.

New ship mod skins could be adapted and polished off then slipped into the game for a buck apiece or something. I hate DLC as much as the next guy but I don't have any problems paying you guys 1 dollar every blue moon for an updated ship.

This game feels like a labor of love, and it really shows through in the final product. I really hope that it continues to receive that love as opposed to withering with time. This is a game that can age tremendously well very easily.
Grognak

Re: Continued event updates via fan submitted ideas?

Postby Grognak » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:14 am

Events are very easy to mod in now. I'm surprised that there aren't many modifications that add more random events yet.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:24 am

Modding Tools just recently popped up, that's why ^^. but even so the amount of mods increased by 100% since I started modding a couple of days ago. We're sort at the beginning phase right now :P
Greetz,
Alblaka
AtillaBosma

Postby AtillaBosma » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:04 am

Alblaka wrote:Modding Tools just recently popped up, that's why ^^. but even so the amount of mods increased by 100% since I started modding a couple of days ago. We're sort at the beginning phase right now :P

Yeah, don't worry, the modding scene shall start putting out great mods after the many great tutorials, AKA CaptainShooby's event tutorial or my Weapon Tutorial.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:27 am

AtillaBosma wrote:
Alblaka wrote:Modding Tools just recently popped up, that's why ^^. but even so the amount of mods increased by 100% since I started modding a couple of days ago. We're sort at the beginning phase right now :P

Yeah, don't worry, the modding scene shall start putting out great mods after the many great tutorials, AKA CaptainShooby's event tutorial or my Weapon Tutorial.

True. Though it's not hard to figure out how the code structure works by yourself (if you're used to programming (in different languages/scripts) that is).
Overall FTL is a perfect game to 'get into modding', as the tools for modding are easy to use and it's a very simplistic and intuitve script language.

The only thing FTL lacks right now is:
1. a proper Modding sub-forum
2. publicity over time
Greetz,
Alblaka
AtillaBosma

Postby AtillaBosma » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:28 am

Alblaka wrote:
AtillaBosma wrote:

True. Though it's not hard to figure out how the code structure works by yourself (if you're used to programming (in different languages/scripts) that is).
Overall FTL is a perfect game to 'get into modding', as the tools for modding are easy to use and it's a very simplistic and intuitve script language.

The only thing FTL lacks right now is:
1. a proper Modding sub-forum
2. publicity over time

It really is easy if you've modded before, it basically just tells you what everything does.
It's not the same as like, C# coding or Minecraft Modding.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:48 am

AtillaBosma wrote:True. Though it's not hard to figure out how the code structure works by yourself (if you're used to programming (in different languages/scripts) that is).

It really is easy if you've modded before, it basically just tells you what everything does.
It's not the same as like, C# coding or Minecraft Modding.[/quote]

Well, that's because
C++ = Programming Language
Minecraft = Java = Programming Language
FTL's dat-files = SCRIPTING language

Scripts are always easier to understand and write, given they're one layer above programming language's
(the order is somewhat like
Bitstreams - Machine Code - Assembler Code - Programming Language - Script Language - Interface (aka GUIs, programs, games)
with most-'efficient', -encrypted and -mighty left)

PS: Dunno why I felt like mentioning this. But it's probably important to pronounce modding FTL is NOT programming per se.
Greetz,
Alblaka
fischbs

Postby fischbs » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm glad you posted it very interesting.
Icehawk78

Postby Icehawk78 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:53 pm

Alblaka wrote:FTL's dat-files = SCRIPTING language

Technically, XML is a markup syntax, not even a scripting language.

Most modern and commonly used "scripting languages" are really their own full-blown programming languages by now (Python and Ruby being the most common), the primary difference being the lack of needing to be compiled.

If they used actual scripting languages for events and the like, we could do waaay more stuff than is currently possible, but it also is significantly more likely to increase the in-game overhead as well.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Icehawk78 wrote:
Alblaka wrote:FTL's dat-files = SCRIPTING language

Technically, XML is a markup syntax, not even a scripting language.

True, though we can agree the way FTL uses XML can be considered 'a limited scripting language'.
We can of course start calling it a Syntax Markup, but I think the other term is more commonly known :P Or at the very least everyone can associate something with "script".
Greetz,
Alblaka