Destroying Drones

General discussion about the game.
Leonidas

Destroying Drones

Postby Leonidas » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:11 am

Is there any way to try to destroy enemy drones on purpose, or is it always a random byproduct of combat?
Gorlom

Re: Destroying Drones

Postby Gorlom » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:45 am

only way is to fight the boarding, antipersonnel and repair drones inside ships or shooting down the boarding drone with a defense drone afaik.

Someone had a theory bout using a beam weapon with a starting point inside the ship and an exit point outside it, No idea if that does anything or can even be timed properly enough to do it.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:31 am

All projectile weapons can 'accidentally' hit drones. It appears the game is actually calculating every projectile's flight path for real...
Had a ludicrous event recently, when I showed the game to my brother: He bought his first drone system, launched a first drone, which decided to fire at the ship from it's front and rightout catched a laser-shot from the enemy Basic Defense Laser, lifetime < 2 seconds.

I've seen Defense, Anti-Ship and Hull-Repair drones being occasionally shot down. I'm pretty sure same applies to Beam Drones.
You cannot explicitely target drones and I'm not 100% sure whether every projectile coming in contact will cause a drone death. In-code, there's a 'dodge' value associated with drones, indicating there may is only a chance of drone and projectile connecting.

Overall it's a pretty random aspect.
Greetz,
Alblaka
Retro

Postby Retro » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:44 am

Alblaka wrote:All projectile weapons can 'accidentally' hit drones. It appears the game is actually calculating every projectile's flight path for real...
Had a ludicrous event recently, when I showed the game to my brother: He bought his first drone system, launched a first drone, which decided to fire at the ship from it's front and rightout catched a laser-shot from the enemy Basic Defense Laser, lifetime < 2 seconds.

I've seen Defense, Anti-Ship and Hull-Repair drones being occasionally shot down. I'm pretty sure same applies to Beam Drones.
You cannot explicitely target drones and I'm not 100% sure whether every projectile coming in contact will cause a drone death. In-code, there's a 'dodge' value associated with drones, indicating there may is only a chance of drone and projectile connecting.

Overall it's a pretty random aspect.

That's happened to me too. My Anti Ship drone I was appeared right in front of the enemy's weapon, right at the moment it fired. I didn't even see the drone appear, just the explosion. At least it stops the shot from getting through to you.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:50 am

Actually it's a legit strategy... start your AS-drone and disable it when it comes close to in front of an enemy gun. If you time it right, the drone will intercept anything the cannon fires :3
Greetz,
Alblaka
Retro

Postby Retro » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:45 am

Alblaka wrote:Actually it's a legit strategy... start your AS-drone and disable it when it comes close to in front of an enemy gun. If you time it right, the drone will intercept anything the cannon fires :3

Hmm, nice! I'd have never thought of doing that :-)
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:01 am

Retro wrote:
Alblaka wrote:Actually it's a legit strategy... start your AS-drone and disable it when it comes close to in front of an enemy gun. If you time it right, the drone will intercept anything the cannon fires :3

Hmm, nice! I'd have never thought of doing that :-)

Well, the main issue would be timing, given deactivated drones drift around ad infinitum ^^'
Greetz,
Alblaka
Spleenling

Postby Spleenling » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:52 am

Similar thing also happens if a Missile/laser/Ion hits another Missile/laser/Ion
LULZferBAKON

Postby LULZferBAKON » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:02 pm

I once had my defence drone shot down by a missle. How ironic is that?
Leonidas

Postby Leonidas » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:08 am

So could you pull the same timing trick on an enemy drone? That is, hold your fire until the drone is directly in front of your weapon?