How do I power a damaged module? (namely oxygen)

General discussion about the game.
FTNothing

How do I power a damaged module? (namely oxygen)

Postby FTNothing » Sun May 03, 2015 7:52 pm

My oxygen node got hit by a missile, I extinguished the fire, there was no airlock open, oxygen drained from the damaged area then the nodes around it, then to my whole ship where my crew promptly died. This is of course my first time playing. The oxygen module at the bottom right turned red and there was nothing I could do to re-power it, I'm thinking I've gotta get a crew member into the oxygen room and fix it, but don't know if that's correct, it's just a hunch but I'll try it now.

Look forward to any comments, and thanks in advance anyone who can help
stylesrj

Re: How do I power a damaged module? (namely oxygen)

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 03, 2015 7:55 pm

FTNothing wrote:My oxygen node got hit by a missile, I extinguished the fire, there was no airlock open, oxygen drained from the damaged area then the nodes around it, then to my whole ship where my crew promptly died. This is of course my first time playing. The oxygen module at the bottom right turned red and there was nothing I could do to re-power it, I'm thinking I've gotta get a crew member into the oxygen room and fix it, but don't know if that's correct, it's just a hunch but I'll try it now.

Look forward to any comments, and thanks in advance anyone who can help

Yeah when a system turns red, it requires repairs. Your fearless crew are the best people for the job in getting the system fixed.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun May 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Yes, you need to repair it first. This is tough when the room and more of your ship is airless. Even if you're in the midst of a battle, while you don't need to repair O2 right away, you might still need to do it while fighting a ship. If your air gets down to 20%, you really need to send someone in. Sounds like you left it off too long - can you get two crew in there to speed up repairs?

It depends on the ship, but hopefully your Medbay is close enough so you can heal and not suffocate. Just remember that if everyone leaves the damaged room, you lose any repairs in progress, so if you can, and the Medbay is close, you can keep one guy repairing, send one to heal, and if you have another crew, send that guy to repair. (Of course if the Medbay is out of air, this doesn't help too much - unless you have the scrap to upgrade it to L2.)

Engis help in these situations with their 2x repair speed.
FTNothing

Postby FTNothing » Sun May 03, 2015 8:46 pm

Thanks guys I got the hang of it by my second game, I do appreciate your replies though. For now I'm OK, haven't got past 2nd sector yet but I'm learning as I go :)
FTNothing

Postby FTNothing » Sun May 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Thought I'd post here instead of starting a whole new topic, I've got my hands on a combat drone Mk1 and a Sys. rep, but in ship > drones, it says "System not installed", do I need something else before being able to deploy these? I'm aware you need power & drone parts, which I have.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun May 03, 2015 9:42 pm

You need to purchase a drone system at a store, and have an open slot for it (each ship has 8 total system slots, and most ships have 5-7 slots already used).

It costs either 75 or 85, and comes with a "free" drone. 85-scrap drone bays have a better "free" drone than 75-scrap drone bays, but they're otherwise exactly the same thing.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 03, 2015 11:32 pm

I recommend not getting Drone Control though. Sell all the Drone Schematics you get and buy a Hacking system if you can find one.

Hacking is a very powerful tool - not only can it disable an enemy system when activated, when powered the system is also locked out from enemy intrusion until they force the doors open.

You could stop their guns from firing for a few seconds if you Hack weapons, drain their shields if you hit shields or temporarily give your guns 100% accuracy by hacking their engines.

All that and more for only a cheap price of 80 Scrap! That's right, 80 Scrap! Buy one today!

Written and paid for by Steve Slug's System Shack.
Don't buy Eric Engi's Enigmatic Easy-Drones