Where i would like FTL to go

General discussion about the game.
Zergpussy

Where i would like FTL to go

Postby Zergpussy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:18 am

Hi, i really love that little game.

It is definitely worth the money, it is fun and addictive.

I can't help thinking of classics like frontier, privateer and open vast galaxies to explore whithout time pressure and a chasing rebel fleet. I mean the game is great, but somehow limited and linear towards the very determined ending.

Take the awesome fighting part, expand the galaxies and the encounter options and exploration, maybe lessen the time stress, maybe create some other goals to achieve than fighting the end boss, maybe add some trading, some mercenary jobs, maybe add more quests, maybe more randomly generated events, making the game less repetitive and more open and laid back. I dream of some "FTL: Privateer"... BUT KEEP PERMADEATH ;)

Just my two cents.

I therefore would like to know if there are others around who would like to see a sequel developed towards such direction.
Qev

Re: Where i would like FTL to go

Postby Qev » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:57 am

Yeah, a large-environment sandbox continuation of FTL would be epic. It could assume you've beaten the Rebel flagship, and then you have to wander the galaxy, trying to put the Federation back together again. Explore strange worlds, forge new alliances, make new enemies, suffocate opposing crews. All that good stuff. :)
thewbert

Postby thewbert » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:22 am

I would love to see a sequel like that, though I was thinking more along the lines of Star Control 2. Using the basic engine from FTL in a game with the scale of StarCon would be a beautiful sight indeed.
Tzymische

Postby Tzymische » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:22 pm

I'd pay even 50 quid for FTL:Privateer - someone - please take my money!
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:26 pm

+1 seriously.

In the meantime for those wanting their space sandbox fix I recommend:
Space Rangers 2: Reloaded. Turn-based, 2D, and totally epic.
Evochron Mercenary. Closest I've seen to Frontier in a very long time.
ScottWAR

Postby ScottWAR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:04 pm

I too would be willing to pay for a sequel/DLC where you actually explore the universe..........
Trainzack

Postby Trainzack » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:53 pm

This would be so epic. I do want!
Zergpussy

Postby Zergpussy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Kaerius wrote:In the meantime for those wanting their space sandbox fix I recommend:
Space Rangers 2: Reloaded. Turn-based, 2D, and totally epic.

Thanks, gotta give that one a try.

Good to see i am not alone with that thought of FTL mechanics in a somehow more open space game.
fluppagus

Postby fluppagus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:16 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking about this. But I can't help but feel I'm thinking even bigger.

Picture this, you load up the game for the first time and play your way through. If you die, you have to start again, same as normally. But if you make it to the end game there would be two separate scenarios (and death, but that goes without saying).

1. You beat the flagship. From this point in you continue playing in your ship with your current upgrades, but you unlock the larger galaxy. I'm imagining this as you're still part of the Federation Navy and you're going out, exploring new worlds and civilizations and fighting to protect the Federation where necessary (this is all very Star Trek, I know), preferably with some sort of dynamic system that would control the continuous expansion of the galaxy and the interactions of races within it. The other idea for this being if you die, your ship and crew are very much gone, but you can start fresh on a new ship in the existing galaxy. Or if you wanted to you could go back to the very beginning and play through the original story and create a new galaxy.

2. You get to the end sector, but fail to stop the flagship before in gets into range of the Federation base. The federation falls, but you are left alive, in command of a ship. This plot line goes all Firefly. You have the same Galaxy factors as above, but the rebels won. They're the ones calling the shots in the space you used to call home. So you hop from system to system, looking for whatever work you can. Maybe you become a mercenary, maybe just a simple trader. Maybe you start a resistance movement, or even join the Rebel Fleet and aid them in their mission of conquest. Again keep permadeath, but have to option to start a new ship in this existing galaxy rather than from the very beginning again.

Not only would this allow for tons of replay-ability, imagine the stories it would generate. The tales of civilizations rising and falling, the betrayals from shady associates you trusted, the federations resurgence from the resistance, or the collapse of the federation as another alien species over-runs them. Man, I would play the *%&# out of that game.
DoubleD

Postby DoubleD » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:05 pm

3D, dynamic destruction of hull, fire, breaches. Equipable crew (weapons or tech), free explration with beautiful space scenery. Fleet control. All this with a similiar combat system with pause, power rearrengment etc. Make this happen and I will play this game for the rest of my life.