Who are 'you' in the game?

General discussion about the game.
SelphieSelfie

Who are 'you' in the game?

Postby SelphieSelfie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:12 am

I always assumed in my playthroughs that the guy at the bridge was Captain and that makes him/her 'You' in the game but if that guy dies, 'You' can always just replace him with someone else so it makes me wonder who the Captain really is.

You think it's possible that 'You' are the ship's AI feeling through sensors and giving the crew feedback about having power, lacking power, needing to be repaired, giving up when the crew is gone...

Let the discussion begin! ;)
stylesrj

Re: Who are 'you' in the game?

Postby stylesrj » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:26 am

I like to think the same thing. You're an AI who hasn't got full control over the ship, because let's face it, the Federation doesn't trust them 100%.
If you play as an automated ship, your software has improved to avoid the mishaps.

But if you play Captain's Edition, I assume I'm playing as a Human who's never seen on the ship but is tied into the crew's lives. Maybe the ship needs at least two people to fly. If you're the only one left, you can't fly, hence drifting forever.
It also means Engi B isn't forever alone. The little guy has the Captain for company :)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:26 am

I consider "me" to be the collective consciousness of the ship. Not in a metaphysical way, just whatever choice I make is what everybody on the ship decided to do.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
SelphieSelfie

Postby SelphieSelfie » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:13 am

Damn right the Feds don't trust the crew! Those bastards are evil. I once got a 'blue option' with a fire beam to burn citizens' crops to intimidate them. Fucking brutal!! XD
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:25 am

Damn right the Feds don't trust the crew! Those bastards are evil. I once got a 'blue option' with a fire beam to burn citizens' crops to intimidate them. Fucking brutal!! XD

What I mean is that the Feds don't trust AIs 100%. So they're restricted from travelling faster than light without a crew. Unless it's an AI ship. Then the shackles are off.
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:06 am

I tend to think of myself as the captain in a similar way to how Mal is the captain of the Serenity.

Mal can't pilot (that's Wash's job), he dosn't know how an engine works (That's Kaylee's expertise) and whilst capable in a fight he's not much of a warrior (that's why Jayne's around) - but Mal is a fantastic tactician, and can bring people together to do impossible things. He makes the judgments and choices, and as such the crew is as useless without him as he would be without a crew.

So yeah; Vanilla and CE, I play as a captain.
When I've made my own mods, though, I seem to enjoy putting an avatar in the mix. Both Tardis and Sleigher have a crystal crew-member who acts as 'you', although that's partly because both of those ships have a rather famous captain, and it would be weird to not have them there.
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Artror

Postby Artror » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:29 am

I try to be the captain everytime, but sometimes end up being the beta ... :D
philwire

Postby philwire » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:25 pm

I find it weird in captains edition with the Engi B that on a empty beacon you have the choice to chat with the crew... Poor guy, he's getting insaner after each jump! Good thing the medical bay isn't too far.
r543

Postby r543 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:13 pm

I think that you might be one of the Federation leaders and talk to the ship captain/the complete crew in the mission.
recumbentrider

Postby recumbentrider » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:49 am

I have always imagined myself to be the captain of the ship, sitting in a center seat that is not shown in the game's 'plan view' of the ship. I do not think of the one sitting in the pilot's station as the captain; I think of them as the helmsman.