Puzzled about O2

General discussion about the game.
Derakon

Re: Puzzled about O2

Postby Derakon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Maze1125 wrote:
Derakon wrote:Yeah, I'm of the opinion that the O2 system needs to automatically steal power if it comes back on-line and there's spare capacity in the reactor. The number of situations in which you want to intentionally depower life support is really low.

I disagree. I find there are loads of times where I value that power-bar in systems other than the O2.
Most battles you can depower life support for the entirety and just repower it at the end. Giving you an extra power-bar for the whole battle.

You misread me. I said if it comes back on-line and there's spare capacity, implying that it had previously been damaged or disabled. Of course there are occasions where you want to turn it off yourself, but in those situations you presumably have the presence of mind to turn it back on again afterwards. It's when it's turned off by some external influence and then gets fixed that I forget that I have to re-power it too.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:40 pm

Derakon wrote:
Maze1125 wrote:
Derakon wrote:Yeah, I'm of the opinion that the O2 system needs to automatically steal power if it comes back on-line and there's spare capacity in the reactor. The number of situations in which you want to intentionally depower life support is really low.

I disagree. I find there are loads of times where I value that power-bar in systems other than the O2.
Most battles you can depower life support for the entirety and just repower it at the end. Giving you an extra power-bar for the whole battle.

You misread me. I said if it comes back on-line and there's spare capacity, implying that it had previously been damaged or disabled. Of course there are occasions where you want to turn it off yourself, but in those situations you presumably have the presence of mind to turn it back on again afterwards. It's when it's turned off by some external influence and then gets fixed that I forget that I have to re-power it too.

You said "The number of situations in which you want to intentionally depower life support is really low." which is the line I was responding to. Now you may have meant something different but, nevertheless, that is what you said and to what I was responding.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 pm

ice wrote:

Actually, I once (in a slug homeworld nebula) met a slug cruiser which "was on a good mood", so he allowed me to choose what he would shut down; weapons, shields or oxygen. Some quick looks at his ship told me that he had some pretty heavy beams, and only level two shields. So I chose oxygen, because he would really hurt me if I didn't have any shields and I had enough weapons to take him down without taking damage.

He said something like "Wow, I'd never think someone would choose to suffocate.", and then the fight started with me and my turned off oxygen supply. Luckily, I managed to finish him off with my oxygen at 60%, and then I could turn it back on.

That's when you fully power your teleporter and export your crew to his ship. Stay out of his medbay and have your guns ruthlessly fire upon it any time any of his crew retreat into it.
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
BlackAlpha

Postby BlackAlpha » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:29 pm

There should be an easily noticable warning coming up when no Oxygen is being produced, because this is a very big deal that can easily kill you. Like some sort of alarm sound.
HelloLion

Postby HelloLion » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:52 am

The O2 system, like all other systems, will always try to repower to it's previous state once repaired. As far as I know, this also applies to disablement via ion canons, slugs or other events. Ion Storms (and maybe other things though I'm not sure) get around this by taking power away from your reactor as opposed to disabling the system itself, and since the system never technically goes down, it never looks to restore its power. I agree that it would be kind of nice if your system would try to go back to the state that it was in before the ion storm, but it's not that hard to put everything back; you just have to double check everything when you get to your next beacon.