FTL portrait paintings - Fan Art

General discussion about the game.
Ruben

FTL portrait paintings - Fan Art

Postby Ruben » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:58 am

Hi guys! I'm Ruben, an artist in the game industry.
I got insanely addicted to FTL, and a second time with Advanced, (a total of hundreds of hours in and got all the ships) so I thought it was time to give a little back with some fan art :)
These are Photoshop paintings, with the vivid colors I usually see in boardgame art and videogame unit portraits.
I wanted each small portrait to tell a story, either the essence of what the alien does, or certain scenes in action.

Links for the larger view:
DeviantArt http://rubendevela.deviantart.com/art/F ... -458802607
Tumblr http://rubendevela.tumblr.com/post/8792 ... y-ftl-from

Notes:
I was inspired by the sprites to make portraits of the various aliens. With the tiny game sprite size, drawing these was almost like literary fan art. I had some cues but there were so many details I guessed at for my own interpretation.

Lanius:
The new aliens in town! Possibly inspired by Dan Simmons' Shrike creature, (their 2nd ship is even called THE SHRIKE), I was also reminded of the T-1000 from their habit of turning into liquid metal goo. Also, I was reminded of 40k's Necrons from their habit of spending eons in stasis. These living skeletons come from the void and asphyxiate you to death...

Slug:
"Now, most gracioussss captain, you must join me please in a drink to our alliance!"

Zoltan:
I wanted these glowstick people to be human shaped with 4 limbs like the game sprite, but with clearly alien physiology.

Engi:
I love these guys with their green CRT monitor faces and friendly demeanor! I wanted to capture their living "silvery skin" made of trillions of nano-machines as mentioned in the game I imagine it to look like constantly shifting iron filings.

Rockmen:
Fireproof combat is AWESOME!!!!

Mantis:
These implacable green death-dealers seem to be identical like earth Mantodea in their anatomy. In my headcanon, this hints that they might be an "uplift" species, perhaps specifically engineered from Earth insects to be killing machines, but got loose from their masters?

Human:
My inspiration for this Rebel Captain? Let's just say... "Lady Captain Honor Satsuki Harrington Kiryuin"!!!, a specimen of what seems to me to be the most disruptive species in the galaxy!

???????:
"there's a strange stasis pod that catches your eye...."

Background star images from NASA and Hubble
Last edited by Ruben on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snow Job

Re: FTL portrait paintings - Fan Art

Postby Snow Job » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:41 am

These are way nice! :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 am

A double plus would look at again!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
ejhockey

Postby ejhockey » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:49 pm

These are incredible! Thanks for sharing them! :D
DarkPhoenix141

Postby DarkPhoenix141 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:35 am

One thing I don't like is how colorful they are. They seem to clash a little. I can only barely tell what they are from the backgrounds, and it's hard even then.
This is no easy mission...

BUT YOU SON. YOU WERE BORN FOR IT.

And remember:

GODS WILL BE WATCHING
Gencool

Postby Gencool » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:59 pm

Beautiful! I especially love the mantis (brilliant markings and HUD).
ImageImageImage
- Gencool (aka Puppetsquid) -- I make weird stuff
Earth Scum

Postby Earth Scum » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:35 pm

That's truly amazing! I really like the Engi. They are my favorite and the design looks just right.

Did anyone else get the impression that the Mantis were a sort of hybrid reptilian-arthropod species? I always picture them with sort of big teeth and meaty claws and parts.