Advanced Edition Feedback

General discussion about the game.
Balanuir

Advanced Edition Feedback

Postby Balanuir » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:22 pm

As a Kickstarter contributor, I've been playing FTL for a long time, but hadn't played the Advanced Edition yet. I did now, about 10 times.

Short: It's a ton of fun, but horribly unbalanced. The new weapons are almost without exception much better than the old ones, hacking is completely OP and the misbalance between the mothership and everything else is even more pronounced then before. I lost a game today where I basically roflstomped every ship I met, and the mothership just crushed me like a bug. I like it being a challenge, but I don't like it when the difficulty level goes from "newbie" to "impossible" in one step.

FTL is a fantastic game. The new edition definitely needs a 1.6 balance update. With some of these issues fixed, the game could be utterly amazing.
Snow Job

Re: Advanced Edition Feedback

Postby Snow Job » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:24 am

The new weapons are overpowered? I disagree. Let's see, what were they anyway...

Laser Charger S: Almost the same as a Burst Laser 1. Not imbalanced.

Laser Charger L: This is kind of nice, but clearly weaker than Burst Laser 2. It doesn't strip shields as well as the ion blasters, nor does it shred systems + hull the way a beam would. Not imbalanced.

Chain Burst Laser: A Burst Laser 1 that starts loading a little slow, but gets fast. Solid in some setups, but imbalanced? Nah.

Chain Vulcan: This one, yeah maybe. It has to spin up, and Defense Drone 2 really gets in its way. Not sure.

Flak 1: Absolutely overpowered, and way too common. I made a thread complaining about it.

Flak 2: Debatable. I thought this was an unfair weapon until I used it myself and noticed that its projectile spread is extremely wide; this is strictly a shield buster. The load time is slowish, too.

Ion Charger: This is very comparable to the Ion Blaster 2. Less powerful, but needs less energy. Not imbalanced.

Chain Ion: It has an extremely long spin up time and only somewhat outperforms the Ion Blaster 2 once it's at full blast. Kind of a piece of crap from my experience.

Ion Stunner: Is this even good? Seems like a niche weapon at beat.

Swarm Missile: This is pretty solid. The load time is slowish and the missiles have a small amount of spread. I don't think it's imbalanced, but can see why someone might think so.

Repair Bomb: Haven't used it, no idea.

Stun Bomb: Useful, but it pales in comparison to original FTL bombs such as Ion Bomb and Breach Bomb 2. Not imbalanced.
itg

Re: Advanced Edition Feedback

Postby itg » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 am

Balanuir wrote:As a Kickstarter contributor, I've been playing FTL for a long time, but hadn't played the Advanced Edition yet. I did now, about 10 times.

Short: It's a ton of fun, but horribly unbalanced. The new weapons are almost without exception much better than the old ones, hacking is completely OP and the misbalance between the mothership and everything else is even more pronounced then before. I lost a game today where I basically roflstomped every ship I met, and the mothership just crushed me like a bug. I like it being a challenge, but I don't like it when the difficulty level goes from "newbie" to "impossible" in one step.

FTL is a fantastic game. The new edition definitely needs a 1.6 balance update. With some of these issues fixed, the game could be utterly amazing.

So, you've played with the new content 10 times, and you already think you know better than the devs how to balance the game? You don't seem to have much faith in them.

Regarding the new weapons, Flak I is probably the overall best (not counting the Advanced Flak, which is the best weapon in the game, but only Lanius B gets it), and it's weaker than the classic burst laser II on average.

The new flagship is harder than the old one, but far from unfair. You have to know how to handle the phase 1 hacking, which might mean taking countermeasures like hacking the flagship's hacking system, or it might mean jumping away to get the flagship to hack something else. For an experienced AE player, if you make it to the flagship, it's basically a foregone conclusion that you'll beat it.