Too Random.

General discussion about the game.
Maze1125
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Too Random.

Postby Maze1125 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Incendax wrote:
Maze1125 wrote:Remember that you can send more than 2 people to board the enemy ship at once.
Even with four people in their cloak room at once, they can just cycle people through their Medbay.


So. Send 6. Have 2 in the cloak room and send the other 4 as a distraction.
Or even send the full 8, have 4 in the cloak and the other 4 in the med-bay, so that any that get damaged in the cloak room can't go to the med-bay to recover, because it's already full of their crew fighting off your 4 in the med-bay.
GoldenShadowGS
Posts: 122
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:38 am

Re: Too Random.

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 pm

Incendax wrote:
Maze1125 wrote:Okay, so buy drones and teleports. Those are just as viable ways of attacking.

Yes, in this game it is quite possible to end up with no extra weapons. It's rare, but it does happen.
But that's not necessarily a flaw. The randomness of the game is there to force you to adapt to it. If you get no weapons then use something else.
Sometimes that doesn't work. Ion Blast Mark II + Anti Ship II + Anti Ship I + Anti Ship I cannot break through the shields of the boss on Stage 1 before Cloak. Your teleport team cannot destroy the cloak room because of Med Bay Cycling.


Teleport a breach bomb into the medbay. It will knock it out and let out the air. They will stop medbay cycling and won't even try to fix it unless your guys leave the ship first.
Incendax
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 am

Re: Too Random.

Postby Incendax » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 am

Maze1125 wrote:So. Send 6. Have 2 in the cloak room and send the other 4 as a distraction.
Or even send the full 8, have 4 in the cloak and the other 4 in the med-bay, so that any that get damaged in the cloak room can't go to the med-bay to recover, because it's already full of their crew fighting off your 4 in the med-bay.
Most of the time you don't get that many crew.
GoldenShadowGS wrote:Yes, in this game it is quite possible to end up with no extra weapons. It's rare, but it does happen.
Reading through these forums, it happens quite a lot. There are more than 20 threads about people not getting enough weapons. Here is one right here. http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2537
GoldenShadowGS wrote:Teleport a breach bomb into the medbay. It will knock it out and let out the air. They will stop medbay cycling and won't even try to fix it unless your guys leave the ship first.
No weapon stores = no breach bombs unless a random event gives you one. Not likely.
Maze1125
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Too Random.

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:13 am

Incendax wrote:
Maze1125 wrote:So. Send 6. Have 2 in the cloak room and send the other 4 as a distraction.
Or even send the full 8, have 4 in the cloak and the other 4 in the med-bay, so that any that get damaged in the cloak room can't go to the med-bay to recover, because it's already full of their crew fighting off your 4 in the med-bay.
Most of the time you don't get that many crew.


I thought this was the play-through where you didn't get any weapons in any of the shops?
So now you're claiming it's a play-through where not a single shop had any weapons or crew?
Because that sounds totally plausible...
Maze1125
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Too Random.

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 am

Incendax wrote:Reading through these forums, it happens quite a lot. There are more than 20 threads about people not getting enough weapons. Here is one right here. http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2537


Confirmation bias much?

I've done more than 20 playthroughs myself.
I'm guessing you have too.

Given the number of people who back this on Kickstarter, plus the fact this game was number 1 on Steam at release, it's pretty safe to say that 20 accounts of no weapons is a very small proportion of total playthroughs.

Yes, it is possible to have a playthrough with absolutely no weapons, but it is very rare and there are still ways to win even if that happens.
TrashMan
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 am

Re: Too Random.

Postby TrashMan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:21 am

REally? Who in their right mind would send 8 people over?


Why are you even hitting their cloak? Forget the clock, hit their weapons. They can't repair those once the guy manning them dies, and he can't heal.

Hit the missile guy first, then the rest. Once the enemy ship is wihout weapons, then it doesnt' matter if it cloaks or not.
Incendax
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 am

Re: Too Random.

Postby Incendax » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:22 am

Maze1125 wrote:I thought this was the play-through where you didn't get any weapons in any of the shops?
So now you're claiming it's a play-through where not a single shop had any weapons or crew?
Because that sounds totally plausible...
The 6 play-through where I didn't get any weapon shops, but you're right there were crew shops. Next time I get screwed out of weapon shops I will be sure to max out on crew and zerg rush with teleporters.

But that tactic probably won't work, and even if it did then it doesn't mean the game isn't way too random.
Incendax
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 am

Re: Too Random.

Postby Incendax » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 am

TrashMan wrote:Why are you even hitting their cloak? Forget the clock, hit their weapons. They can't repair those once the guy manning them dies, and he can't heal. Hit the missile guy first, then the rest. Once the enemy ship is wihout weapons, then it doesnt' matter if it cloaks or not.
Of course you hit the missile guy first, then you take out every weapon but the triple laser, then you twiddle your thumbs because your drones don't break their shields, your boarding crew can't break their cloak, and you need to break their cloak or your crew dies while they cycle people in the medical bay. Full stop. Do not pass go. You can't lose, and you can't win.
Incendax
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 am

Re: Too Random.

Postby Incendax » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am

Maze1125 wrote:I've done more than 20 playthroughs myself.
I'm guessing you have too.
I've done 40+ and beaten the game on normal twice. I can easily kill the boss with teleporters and missiles/bombs, or any number of other combinations but some of the starting weapon options just don't work no matter what you do, except maybe that 8 man zerg rush. I'm going to try that out right now as an experiment.
Maze1125
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Re: Too Random.

Postby Maze1125 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:37 am

And, ya know, I don't even believe you when you say that the ion-blast and 3 attack drones couldn't break their shields before they cloaked again.

You fire one blast as soon as they decloak, and you should be easily able to do some damage before they recloak, they only have 4 shield points.
Yeah, you'll miss quite a few times, which means you won't successfully damage them before they cloak every time, but it doesn't have to be every time. It could be 1 in 20 times and you'd still eventually win.

And I never said "zerg rush" that sounds like you're just going to throw your crew at them and hope. A 8 man boarding requires careful tactics. You could very well lose to a slip up, but that doesn't mean it wasn't possible.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests