I have but one complaint. (Weapons)

General discussion about the game.
apostateCourier

I have but one complaint. (Weapons)

Postby apostateCourier » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:09 am

Why, oh why, does the Burst Laser 1 have a longer cooldown, require more power, yet does exactly the same thing as Dual Lasers which are described as being kinda pitiful?
Tysonclyde

Re: I have but one complaint. (Weapons)

Postby Tysonclyde » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 am

Because. That is how the devs wanted it. You can mod it and change it if you want.
apostateCourier

Postby apostateCourier » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:11 am

I was looking for an answer that was a little more substantial than "because." It seems really odd, that's all.
Tysonclyde

Postby Tysonclyde » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:16 am

Well maybe it's because the burst laser 1 shoots more shots than the dual one and misses a hell of alot more.
apostateCourier

Postby apostateCourier » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:21 am

It doesn't fire more shots, they both fire twice for one damage, and accuracy isn't decided by weapon type. It's fixed at 100%-Evade.
Zelnick

Postby Zelnick » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:30 am

Maybe, that Dual lasers are an uncommen weapon; i think, i've seen them only once in a shop, but i'm not sure.
apostateCourier

Postby apostateCourier » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:37 am

Zelnick wrote:Maybe, that Dual lasers are an uncommen weapon; i think, i've seen them only once in a shop, but i'm not sure.

That'd be just fine- I just wish the description matched. I don't like that they're mentioned as being essentially bargain-basement stuff for people who can barely afford ship weaponry. Especially because they're so good for their power requirements.

Well, not *quite* fine. Every other weapon in the game does something different than every other weapon. Not so much here.
apostateCourier

Postby apostateCourier » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:04 pm

Still looking for some insight into this.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:16 pm

apostateCourier wrote:Why, oh why, does the Burst Laser 1 have a longer cooldown, require more power, yet does exactly the same thing as Dual Lasers which are described as being kinda pitiful?

As well, why does the "missile designated to cause hull breaches" more damage then the Hermes "powerful missile" whilst requiring less power and loading time?
:P

These two weapons are examplary reasons for me to have rebalanced all weapon stats for my own mod.
Greetz,
Alblaka
froz

Postby froz » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Well, it looks like a mistake to me. Probably something slipped during balancing tests and changes. Burst laser Mk1 is one of the worst weapon in the game, opposite to burst Mk2. It would be ok if they would just exchange the names between burst Mk1 and dual lasers (and make the better one less common then the other one).