[Suggestion] Streamlined ship encounters and combat

General discussion about the game.
Llamageddon

[Suggestion] Streamlined ship encounters and combat

Postby Llamageddon » Mon May 19, 2014 2:24 am

With Advanced Edition bringing more streamlined handling of systems and subsystems(they can all be bought, even when not present, and they take up slots, rather than predefined rooms), I just thought that perhaps, the next logical step would be to streamline ship encounters and combat.

What do I mean by that? Let me highlight the main points.

• Allow (re)initiating combat with neutral/friendly ships, or ones that surrendered. Weapons do not charge before you do this, and opponent's FTL does, usually with the intention of jumping away. Also, this resets your insta-FTL to previous state. Sometimes, initiating combat in this way might result in an event, such as what you did being broadcast, causing a harder encounter, or the ship helping the rebels if it escapes. Maybe a shop will refuse to deal with you.
  • Allow the player to surrender, and choose from small/medium/big amounts of resources to surrender, success being dependent on them. Sometimes enemy ships request a weapon, or a drone that you have. Slavers might want someone from your crew.
  • Looting. Enemy ships have scrap, fuel, missiles, drone parts in cargo, sometimes also weapons or drones. When a ship surrenders, it gives you some, but not all of it. When you destroy a ship, some of it is destroyed, some lost, sometimes weapons or drones are converted into scrap. The only question is how to balance boarding, then?
  • Show merchant ships as well, and similarly, allow attacking them, have them heavily armed(above current sector's tier), and the reverse - allow trading with non-merchant ships, if they agree, make prices worse, sometimes more, sometimes less, no repair, and fuel/missiles/drone depend on stock.

In other words, to put it simply, allow doing anything with any ship, and leave only actual event-ish stuff to events.

Just some random ramblings of mine, now I've got to go sleep x.x
geekZoltan

Re: [Suggestion] Streamlined ship encounters and combat

Postby geekZoltan » Mon May 19, 2014 5:26 am

@Llamageddon I think the Captain's Edition mod actually allready does almost all the things you listed here. I suggest you take a look at it, the mod is a ton of fun. I lost my last run because I got attacked by an op engi ship, and I offered them too small surrender. They simply refused and destroyed my ship. :)
Captain's Edition also adds a lot of new weapons, encounters and drones, battle stations, piracy, trade goods etc.
Llamageddon

Re: [Suggestion] Streamlined ship encounters and combat

Postby Llamageddon » Mon May 19, 2014 7:03 pm

Ohh, that sounds promising. I'm not usually a big fan of mods, because people tend to add unbalanced weapons and whatnot, but I think I'll check it out.