Are there any plans to expand/update FTL?

General discussion about the game.
reliken

Are there any plans to expand/update FTL?

Postby reliken » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:52 pm

It's great, but I'd love to see... more of everything. Or at least, to have more of everything be more of an option.

More crew member slots, more systems that can be manned for added benefit, an even wider variety of ship hardpoints and items that can be equipped to them... basically the added potential of increased complexity in gaming.

Basically, I think that would certainly add to the feel of the "captain a starship" experience, would provide for a significantly wider variety of options, playstyle, possiblities, and so on, and ultimately as a result would add a lot of replay value.

If not, that's cool too, but... I was just curious as to if there are any plans even being considered to be discussed for down the road.

Thanks!
Taskeen

Re: Are there any plans to expand/update FTL?

Postby Taskeen » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Definitely a great game and so many possibilities for additions if they are planned. Personally, I'd like to see the ability to simply commandeer an enemy ship if you choose to use boarding as an action by killing the enemy crew.
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:09 pm

I don't think anything has been announced or definitively answered in any of the other threads like this.

You could search around a little, though.
reliken

Postby reliken » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:11 pm

I gave the topic list a cursory glance and didn't find anything. If this topic has been made before and devs have responded, I'd really appreciate a link to it.
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Yeah I don't know offhand, I just know they've said stuff in chat on streams.
PhilBlunt

Postby PhilBlunt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 pm

You can browse around on the getsatisfaction website. Here is a direct link to the "planned" changes.

https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/ideas/planned
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Some nice idea's there... Have to wait and see I guess. ;)
Cruxador

Postby Cruxador » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 pm

The way I see it, there's three main classes of things that need to be added.

Hotkeys.
Numbers for weapons alone doesn't cut it. Give me some numbers for drones at least. And why can't I hit a key to jump? The current implementation is honestly just rather lazy, and adding this should be considered more on the level of a fix than an addition.

More content.
Right now, you see everything quickly and it gets stale fast.
More enemy ships, more quests and random events, more interactivity in quests, more weapons and gear. Randomly generate more galaxy areas if you beat the first.
I've seen people want more races too, particularly a race that's immune to lack of oxygen issues.

Greater ship customization
Design your own layouts. Increase capacity for augmentations and crew and cargo at least, and strengthen maximum hull. Increasing for drones and weapons would be good too but might be tough to do with actual UI in combat.

Those latter two could potentially be sold as a DLC or expansion, but considering the massive over-funding that the kickstarter achieved even before mainstream sales, many people would probably see that as unduly gouging.
Centaurishin

Postby Centaurishin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 am

Drones -have- hotkeys. 1-4 are weapons, 5-8 are drones.
thenightgaunt

Postby thenightgaunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:16 am

I could get behind this.

I mean I love the game, gladly gave my $10 and don't expect anything else for free from the devs. But I would love to see this expanded. The problem with so many ship based games is that they have you flying it or it goes strategy but you never control the ship. For example every Star Trek game's missed the point. The perfect Star Trek game would be like this. It would be a strategy/base management game like Evil Genius and it would look like FTL.

What FTL gave us is the ship management game we've always really wanted. My request to the devs.
Go forward.
Get bigger.
Expand.
Take my money.
^_^