They've now made the game too hard

General discussion about the game.
Alientank

They've now made the game too hard

Postby Alientank » Sat May 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Seems that before if you found yourself caught up to by the enemy, you could squeak your way out of it. Yes, I know how to play the game. Yes, I know the pause feature. Yes, I've unlocked everything in the game.

It was a wake up when I was first caught up to, seeing this automatic win lock on from the surface for the enemy, taking my hull from full to 0 in a matter of seconds as 8000 lasers/debris/missiles came at me at once.

What the hell is this? I decided to play test on easy. Same deal. I let them catch up to me even after a few upgrades on the engi type A. You're toast. There's not even a fighting chance of escaping like there used to be. Yes, before rebel ships were too easy and people farmed. They've gone too far the other way now in my opinion. Seems regardless of difficulty level, you're almost always fucked if they catch up.

Finally yes I'm aware you try to avoid them. Sometimes you feel you can get that last node but it's too close and they catch up. I've resorted to just restarting without even attempting to fight, if you do survive you're so terribly crippled with hull damage and crew loss.
Ghaleon

Re: They've now made the game too hard

Postby Ghaleon » Sun May 11, 2014 12:08 am

Why do I get the feeling this is a case of "I never upgrade my engines very much and blame the game for killing me for neglecting a vital part of my ship".

I can't be bothered to find every time I did this in my playthru but skip to 1:40 for this video for an exmaple:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU23FOJtAus

Get good engines (just rank 4 is enough so they only get one shot off before you jump until super late) and even without cloak it's not too bad.
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Sun May 11, 2014 1:14 am

It's a whole fleet man. You're not supposed to fight a fleet. That said, a cloak or decent engines and you can get away with only minor (or no) scratches.

When you hear the warning signal that the Anti-Ship Battery is firing, you have about 3 seconds before it comes on screen, so wait 2-3 seconds and cloak. If you have 6 energy in engines you can usually get the jump off before it hits too.
xlandar

Postby xlandar » Sun May 11, 2014 6:00 am

Sigh, yet another thread complaining about the ASB. Everyone who says it's an auto lose almost always has the same problem. The first time i encountered it, i had lvl four engines. It hit me ONCE before i destroyed the enemy ship. It's little more then a nuisance for any ship with high enough engines.
art and coding tutorials wanted, pm if you have some good ones please!Image
Levgre

Postby Levgre » Sun May 11, 2014 10:31 am

Yup 4 engines and you should typically breeze through the fleet, taking maybe one hit. But getting caught in the 1st sector can be pretty precarious.

Get 4 engines and upgraded stealth, and you should have guaranteed no hit by ASB if your goal is to just escape. I'll consider upgrading to lvl 5 engines (the last upgrade that gives +5%) in a later sector if I don't have stealth, then I think you get away before it can even hit you.
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Sun May 11, 2014 5:09 pm

Get 4 engines and still take more than acceptable damage.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
Levgre

Postby Levgre » Sun May 11, 2014 5:14 pm

Are you powering them fully? With 4 engine I take 3 damage (1 hit) from the ASB, max.
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Sun May 11, 2014 6:36 pm

I am. But it isn't just the damage from the ASB. It's the damage from the ASB + the enemy ship shooting at you.

On a average run an elite ship in the earlier sectors can easly put some 5 damage into your ship (average assumes no cloak and no teleporter as well as either starting weaponry or maybe an extra not really good weapon found).

So that's 5 damage + 3damage from the ASB. It's already unacceptable amounts of damage and that means you already wasted scrap earlier on on engine upgrades which serve absolutly no other purpose earlier on than fleeing from the rebel fleet since the dodge value is too low to actually dodge anything consistently.

Add a possibillity of a piloting or engine hit and you'll end up with even more damage or possibly the ship destroyed.

Some people may say ASB is perfectly ok. But it isn't. It's game breaking inbalanced. If you want lore reasons. A planetary weapon shouldn't be mounted on enemy cruisers, otherwise I want one of all of mine too.

If you want to say, but you're fighting the whole fleet... No you aren't. The fleet caught up to you but not the whole fleet, only the ship that was closest actually came into firing range, the rest of them arent which is why they can't fire normal weapons at you.

From a balnace point of view it's pretty simple. Elite ships are more dangerous than regular ships. they only give you 1 fuel as a reward for fighting them and whatever rewards that beacon might have had are already gone too thanks to the rebel fleet. It's already heavly penalising to be caught by the rebel fleet as it was before the introduction of the ASB. There is no need to turn the fight even more unfair.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
Alientank

Postby Alientank » Sun May 11, 2014 7:08 pm

Gotta agree with Elhazzared. I have upgraded engines but when the surface ASB hits you plus the ship firing 4 lasers at you and a missile, it doesn't matter what your dodge is or shields. And if they manage to take out the engines, you're fucked.
Diet Water

Postby Diet Water » Sun May 11, 2014 7:28 pm

I don't understand all these complaints about the fleet being super tough making the game unfair. Before the ASB, if you had a decently upgraded ship, you could farm past the exit, survive the elite fighter, and still make it out fine. With the ASB, you need the defenses to keep safe from the elite fighter as well as 4 engines to take 1 shot (if you don't dodge it, risking an engine/cockpit hit), and adding cloak/2 more engines will let you escape without damage.

Elhazzared wrote:On a average run an elite ship in the earlier sectors can easly put some 5 damage into your ship (average assumes no cloak and no teleporter as well as either starting weaponry or maybe an extra not really good weapon found).

Easy solution: Don't fight elite ships in the early sectors. The scrap rewards for farming past the exit are low anyway, why bother risking that much damage?

Elhazzared wrote:Some people may say ASB is perfectly ok. But it isn't. It's game breaking inbalanced. If you want lore reasons. A planetary weapon shouldn't be mounted on enemy cruisers, otherwise I want one of all of mine too.

The ASB is a 3 damage weapon+breach that can't be shot by drones or stopped by Zoltan Shields, ~20 sec cooldown.
The Breach Missile is a 4 damage weapon+breach/fire, but can be stopped by drones/Zoltan Shields, 22 sec cooldown.
So if you have a defense drone, the ASB is scarier. If you have 6 engines, the Breach Missile is scarier. They're just stopped by different equipment. And it's not a planetary weapon, it's an anti-ship weapon that planets happen to use. Besides, these might be support cruisers with not much other equipment.

Personally, I never fight the fleet until I have 6 engines/4+cloak. If I have a good amount of scrap and am not hurting for other weapon/ship upgrades, I might push my engines to 6 earlier than normal to allow post-exit farming a sector or two early, but otherwise I avoid the fleet like the plague.

A final note: I never see the flagship being called unfair for its weapon power+power surges, which are not optional to fight if you want to win. So why do people call the weaker elites+ASB unfair when you don't even have to fight them?