I have bought the Steam version - can I get it DRM-free?

General discussion about the game.
Hackworth

I have bought the Steam version - can I get it DRM-free?

Postby Hackworth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:16 pm

So I have bought the game on Steam and I was wondering, can I somehow get the DRM-free version too without buying it again?
Maze1125

Re: I have bought the Steam version - can I get it DRM-free?

Postby Maze1125 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:29 pm

The Steam version is DRM free.
Just copy the directory from the Steam folder once you've installed it and run the exe manually.
Leonick

Postby Leonick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Maze1125 wrote:The Steam version is DRM free.
Just copy the directory from the Steam folder once you've installed it and run the exe manually.

1. Steam is DRM.
2. A game bought and downloaded trough steam can't be launched without Steam running, launching the exe will just start Steam (I actually went and downloaded on steam just to make sure that hadn't changed).
icepick

Postby icepick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't know that that is always true, but it usually is.
Maze1125

Postby Maze1125 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:16 pm

Leonick wrote:
Maze1125 wrote:The Steam version is DRM free.

1. Steam is DRM.
2. A game bought and downloaded trough steam can't be launched without Steam running, launching the exe will just start Steam (I actually went and downloaded on steam just to make sure that hadn't changed).

Yes, Steam is DRM. But that does not mean that every game on Steam has DRM in the files.
For example, if you buy Dungeons of Dredmor through Steam you can still play it entirely Steam free, using exactly the method I described. The same is true of the old X-Com games, and many others.

Now, I admit I was wrong about this case. I believed I had tested the situation well enough, but I had not. I will make sure not to make the same mistake in the future.

To the OP, sorry, I was wrong, I do not know of any method of getting the game DRM.
Reemo

Postby Reemo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:56 pm

FTL can be launched without having Steam open. I just did it.
Tamren

Postby Tamren » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:14 pm

It's not really surprising I guess. If a game doesn't already have DRM programmed into it then Valve would have to spend developer time adding it in on purpose. Time is money after all.
Leonick

Postby Leonick » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:49 pm

Reemo wrote:FTL can be launched without having Steam open. I just did it.

Interesting, I might have to try that again, in my case executing FTL installed trough Steam without Steam running just made Steam start again and I had to wait for that before it actually launched.

Either way, to the OP, your best chance is likely to get the Steam install to launch without Steam, probably be too much of a bother for the devs to confirm you got it on Steam and somehow arrange a DRM free installer for you and everyone else who will one want. Could also buy it again, DRM free from the site or GoG was it? Of course, you could go grab a torrent with the DRM free installer, I certainly wouldn't blame you for downloading an installer for a game you actually paid for already, I'm sure some people would though :p
BigD145

Postby BigD145 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:07 pm

You can buy another copy, or torrent it. I'm not saying you should do either one, just that you could.
Reemo

Postby Reemo » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Leonick wrote:
Reemo wrote:FTL can be launched without having Steam open. I just did it.

Interesting, I might have to try that again, in my case executing FTL installed trough Steam without Steam running just made Steam start again and I had to wait for that before it actually launched.

Either way, to the OP, your best chance is likely to get the Steam install to launch without Steam, probably be too much of a bother for the devs to confirm you got it on Steam and somehow arrange a DRM free installer for you and everyone else who will one want. Could also buy it again, DRM free from the site or GoG was it? Of course, you could go grab a torrent with the DRM free installer, I certainly wouldn't blame you for downloading an installer for a game you actually paid for already, I'm sure some people would though :p

Actually just looked into it again, steam was running stealthily in the background so it appeared to work. so following your post I copied and moved the entire folder out of steam and went straight from the executable and it still launched steam.

So there is that....