Rain of missiles?

General discussion about the game.
expostfacto

Rain of missiles?

Postby expostfacto » Sun May 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Trying to unlock rain of missiles ("destroy an enemy ship with a defense drone deployed using only missiles") but defense drones are apparently in short supply when I am hunting them. So I think, "at least the second form of the boss is guaranteed to have a defense drone." I kill it with only missiles, and ... nothing.

Does it not count because the boss "escapes?" Or did my scrambler mean that the drone wasn't effectively "deployed?"

Or is it a bug?
shadowcrust

Re: Rain of missiles?

Postby shadowcrust » Mon May 05, 2014 12:36 am

I think the flagship doesn't count as ship for some reason, also the Mantis achievement where your last crew member kills their last crew member doesn't unlock on the flagship, which I realised after killing seven of my crew :P
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon May 05, 2014 12:53 am

The achievement is Defense Drones Don't Do D'anything actually, and it's harder to get in a game that you didn't dedicate to getting that achievement than the Kestrel one for healing back up after being at one hull, Tough Little Ship.

For both of those, I suggest dialing it down to easy and finding a ship that works for the achievement. Then just do it, get the achievement, and quit that game. Or play anyway and remember how easy Easy mode is.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Bloody_Lemon

Postby Bloody_Lemon » Mon May 05, 2014 9:02 am

It's actually called Rain of Missiles now (at least on my Ipad version). Not sure what's the reason for the change.
itg

Postby itg » Mon May 05, 2014 12:25 pm

Probably because "Defense Drones don't do D'anything!" takes up too much screen real estate.
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Mon May 05, 2014 2:40 pm

I guess you could try going at it with the rock A since it starts only with missile weapons. With any luck you'll get someone with a defense drone.

That archievement is infinitely easier to get now since the swarm missiles are great anti defense drone missile launchers.

A really hard one is. Some people just like to watch them burn. I did managed to get that one and the funny part was that i wasn't even after it. I was just droping fire bombs to kill the crew and get more rewards than just destroying the enemy ship. Still, with just 2 bombs everything was burning before too long. Luckly they had a level 2 O2 which means rooms never get without air. the last room to catch fire was the O2 where the last guy was hiding and fire came from both doors nearly at the same time.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
Jai

Postby Jai » Wed May 07, 2014 6:31 am

If you have two missile weapons you can destroy almost any ship with a defense drone. Rock A is your best bet. Just play normally, except don't sell your missile weapons, so you've got them when the opportunity comes up.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed May 07, 2014 9:32 am

Jai wrote:play normally, except don't sell your missile weapons

That clause speaks volumes about the Rock A, and missile weapons in general.

However I totally agree with you. Play the Rock A on easy a few times and you'll eventually come across a ship with a defense drone. Double tap his drone bay and you'll get the achievement with no problems.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Jai

Postby Jai » Thu May 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Well, now that the Explosive Replicator is a thing, I'd like to think that an all-missile ship is...at least *possible*, if not ideal. I haven't tried it yet but will next time I get the chance.