Do you think that the community is demanding too much?

General discussion about the game.
Warhawx

Do you think that the community is demanding too much?

Postby Warhawx » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:50 pm

Do you think that the community is demanding too much from the developers? Since release day, there has been a surge of "suggestion" threads that "suggests" about 20 major additions to the game (multiplayer co-op, pvp, multi ship battle etc). The point is, how do you expect a 2 man dev team to do such a thing on such short notice? Those things will require a major overhaul of the whole game, and they haven't even integrate steam cloud save file synching yet.

Personally, I think the community needs to give the developers some time to take a break or develop new content, not stuff them with dozens of impossible objectives at a time, as they don't sit in front of the PC all day working on the game.
JimBadger

Re: Do you think that the community is demanding too much?

Postby JimBadger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:53 pm

Posting an idea isn't a demand. (Nor is it an expectation of that idea being implemented).
jeme223

Postby jeme223 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:56 pm

i dont think its ridiculous, i mean they chose to have a 2 man team and i think they could hire more people if they wanted to, but we dont all expect everything we want to appear and we dont expect it to happen right now, but i think we can almost all agree, we want more, i mean even i feel like it needs more, it feels, half finished.... events have been repeating itself, the play through get more and more similar as you play because the enemy ships are mostly the same and your ship is always the same until you unlock new ones... point is, we just want more, whether our ideas get used or not.
Guswut

Postby Guswut » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:56 pm

This is fairly standard, as is a thread regarding people thinking that it is not standard.
JimBadger

Postby JimBadger » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:00 pm

Personally, I'd find a glut of feedback - good, bad, or mixed - to be most welcome. Better than releasing a game and never hearing anything. Bad feedback means you can improve. A glut of "demands" (lol) means people are mentally invested in the game enough to want to see it improved/expanded, which, surely, has to be gratifying for the devs.
Vigilant

Postby Vigilant » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:01 pm

Warhawx wrote:Do you think that the community is demanding too much from the developers?

May be. But more i guess they just see the enormous potential beyond this "first strike".
Eyjio

Postby Eyjio » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:38 pm

To be honest, I just keep playing this game because I want more. I know that eventually I'll get sick of doing the same thing over and over with only the battles being different though. I want the game to be longer. I want a more open world using these mechanics. I just want to play this game more and not be worried about when I'll finally stop finding it fun for ages - I suspect others on this site feel the same. Almost EVERY request thread has "open world" or "no chase, longer game" in it. So yeah, people are very excited but it's due to how fun the game is, not just to be demanding. Maybe it is too much, but I really hope that these guys go on past FTL and make more roguelike-like games, especially DLC/sequels to this one.
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:06 pm

People post suggestions because they see potential.

I would love to see content updates or an expansion. With such a small team, it will take time and only a combination of the very best and very easiest changes will be made...

If the game sells well (as it seems to be?), the team will either:
a.) improve and continue it: multiplying their success by the tried and true method.
b.) hire someone else to continue it while they move on to other things: putting their newly minted IP and profits to work to create more of both.
c.) none of the above: which would be a horrible tragedy.

I post suggestions in the hope of possibly making some small contribution toward avoiding path c.
adrix89

Postby adrix89 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:49 pm

The problem I see is that this game is not very expandable,its mechanics and balance can only take so much until it breaks.

They could add some more events,a few new weapons maybe the ability to create a custom ship but that's about it.

You are capped with upgrades so you can't really have an endless mode without extensive reworking of the engine so its not going to happen in this game,maybe in the sequel.
Kestral B

Postby Kestral B » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Yeah, I agree that the progression of a single ship doesn't scale well beyond the scope of a single mission.
There are still many ways to add content, progression, and longevity without disrupting the scope and progression arc that currently happens over a single mission.

1.) Crew that persist from mission to mission (if they survive!) and can receive promotions/special abilities for their accomplishments. In this way you could play the same character for as long as you can keep him/her alive in true classic roguelike style.
2.) More mission types. Each mission still has the same scope, but different goals/requirements. The work of protecting the federation is never done!