Do you think that the community is demanding too much?

General discussion about the game.
Jalida

Re: Do you think that the community is demanding too much?

Postby Jalida » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:13 pm

JimBadger wrote:Posting an idea isn't a demand. (Nor is it an expectation of that idea being implemented).

^^Agree^^

Granted there are some people who when they post it comes out like they are demanding something. I'm sure in some cases these people really are demanding something, for these people I just assume they've not yet learned any social skills yet. Then there are people that just don't speak English as their native language and it comes across as being demanding.

Personally, I look at most suggestions as just something somebody wishes were in the game and that they feel would make the game better, but I think that most people don't actually expect their suggestions to be implemented, a forum is just a good way for them to get it off their chests and let the developer know what they think would make the game better.
rawls

Postby rawls » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:28 pm

Warhawx wrote:Do you think that the community is demanding too much from the developers? Since release day, there has been a surge of "suggestion" threads that "suggests" about 20 major additions to the game (multiplayer co-op, pvp, multi ship battle etc). The point is, how do you expect a 2 man dev team to do such a thing on such short notice? Those things will require a major overhaul of the whole game, and they haven't even integrate steam cloud save file synching yet.

Personally, I think the community needs to give the developers some time to take a break or develop new content, not stuff them with dozens of impossible objectives at a time, as they don't sit in front of the PC all day working on the game.

For me FTL is an important contribution for the RTS genre and for space sims in general. This kind of space ship simulation is unique and has lots of potential beyond FTL itself. I'm very fond of this game and that's why I start thinking about things that I would like to see in FTL or what different kind of games could be made out of it. (Probably by now everyone has got his own FTL-like game in his mind.) It's not about demanding something, it's just about the wish of experiencing "more".

Dealing with all this feedback and wishes is probably overwhelming for them and they deserve a break. But all this feedback shows that people are excited about the game. The developers made a great product and people just desire more of it.
Eyjio

Postby Eyjio » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:57 pm

The multiple ship same crew thing is genius! The game gets longer (more missions), we get more of the same AND we can actually start to care for our crew. I mean, we're on the brink of losing the Federation, right? So the game as it stands could be level one. Maybe afterwards you could change ships in the Hanger and have "upgrade points" to improve ships on future missions - maybe extra hull, more weapon slots, better cloaking, whatever. I think there's potential to scale the game here.
MajorCoolD

Postby MajorCoolD » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:17 pm

I agree, the game has so much potential, it'd be a shame to let this go to waste... and even if they are 'just' a two man developer team, you guys shouldnt forget they made A LOT of profit for a relatively small sum and the number is still rising.
Of course none expects them to do anything over night now, merely harvesting the fruits of their hard work for now, but some sort of 'thank you' like free DLC somewhen in the course of the next weeks or months would sure be appreciated.
I am sure the developers can count on a lot of support from the community now and even sme unpaid help for sure.
OrangeBottle

Postby OrangeBottle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Warhawx wrote:Do you think that the community is demanding too much from the developers? Since release day, there has been a surge of "suggestion" threads that "suggests" about 20 major additions to the game (multiplayer co-op, pvp, multi ship battle etc). The point is, how do you expect a 2 man dev team to do such a thing on such short notice? Those things will require a major overhaul of the whole game, and they haven't even integrate steam cloud save file synching yet.

Personally, I think the community needs to give the developers some time to take a break or develop new content, not stuff them with dozens of impossible objectives at a time, as they don't sit in front of the PC all day working on the game.

This. I've already posted something akin to this on a discussion on steam, I think I'll quote it here for good measure:

I think that, while many of your suggestions would make the game better, you(and many other people making such suggestions) are being entirely unreasonable. Let's make this perfectly clear. This is a game made by two guys. It doesn't matter how much money you throw at two guys, in the end they'll still be two guys. Subset games is not a large company like EA or Blizzard, where you can expect these kinds of features; they're a group of indie game developers. Yes, they had a huge budget for an indie game; but by the time the Kickstarter came around, most of the game had already been developed. Many of these suggestions would require the devs to strip out huge tracts of code and replace them with something completely(or mostly) new.
Marbozir

Postby Marbozir » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 pm

JimBadger wrote:Posting an idea isn't a demand. (Nor is it an expectation of that idea being implemented).

Agreed as well. I've not seen many people making actual demands (maybe I'm not looking hard enough? lol). There are way too many exaggerations being thrown around these days, I'm under impression that any person who posts a few suggestions that aren't in line with the "popular" opinions, immediately gets labeled as entitled, whiny and demanding, when in reality he was just making a suggestion or posting his own personal "wish list". I'm sure there are some people who do actually try to make demands, but I like to think they do not represent the majority, or in some cases they're simply trolls who get a kick out of stirring up internet drama. That's my take on it at least.
I'm just a regular guy who does gaming stuff on YouTube.
My YouTube ChannelFTL Let's Play Playlist
Tridus

Postby Tridus » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:29 pm

jeme223 wrote:i dont think its ridiculous, i mean they chose to have a 2 man team and i think they could hire more people if they wanted to

Sure, it's not like hiring people costs tens of thousands of dollars or anything.

Personally I hope they're not listening. They seem to know what the game needs on their own and a lot of the ideas here are trying to take this game and turning it into something else, which would be terrible.
thenightgaunt

Postby thenightgaunt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Well, you can view the comments here as either demands or ideas for future content. It all depends on how you look at it. Either way this is a really good thing.

If a forum is filled with fan ideas that's great. It shows that your customers have become fans and are really excited about the game. With these threads, what most people are really saying is:
"I love/like this game alot. What would make it even better would be if it had ______ as well. Is that possible?"

The only time the developers should ever worry is if the forum is filled with bug comments and complaints. Historically though, the best developers tend to read through these threads and then include the best ideas into content patches, dlc or sequels.
omphaloskepsis

Postby omphaloskepsis » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:40 pm

I've only seen a few demands, but I've seen a lot of suggestions and requests. And I've seen a lot of posts from people who can't tell the difference. It's an interesting phenomenon in game forums to see people who apparently tie their personal identities into a game--made by other people--and can't bear to see anyone make a post that implies that the game is anything less than perfect.

The majority of people who post on a game forum are fans. I love this game, as do the majority of posters. There are some features I'd like to see implemented in an FTL2, and other changes I'd like see in the current game. I don't expect any or all of my personal requests to be implemented, but artists and developers need to pay attention to feedback if they want to grow in their craft. IMO, hyper-sensitive types are just lowering the signal to noise ratio, and holding back the game.
Chronosv2

Postby Chronosv2 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:08 pm

I'd like to hope that my suggestion far earlier didn't sound demanding at all, but it's been a little while and I forget how I originally worded my message, so...

Even still, I'm pretty sure that my suggestion (audio cues of some kind as each weapon charges, say 1 beep or a computerized "One" when weapon slot 1 charges, 2 beeps or "Two" for 2, etc) wouldn't take terribly much effort to implement. If they choose to, I would be very grateful as a visually-impaired gamer. If not, I'll keep using AutoFire and play the game anyway.

Either way, people throwing ideas out there shows that they're playing and enjoying the game and want it to grow. Some of the ideas sound pretty outlandish (I think people underestimate how much effort goes into multiplayer coding, and I could see there being more rage than satisfied players if they even tried) but the ideas still show interest all the same.