The role of missiles

General discussion about the game.
Elhazzared

Re: The role of missiles

Postby Elhazzared » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Dodge applies to everything though yes, it's more critical when we're talking about a weapon with limited ammo supply, kinda why I said, would be nice if they drop in slightly higher quantities.

At any rate. Yes, weapon pre-igniter is great but you are wrong in saying it's because of that. Though it helps, again, hermes missile is 3 damage and high hull breach in a 14 reload time. It's a rather low recharge time, even less with somone skilled in your weapon's system... The only real drawback of it is costing 3 power however it's not like it's unfair considering everything.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
Jai

Postby Jai » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Missiles are an imperfect but invaluable addition to the arsenal of any ship. Yes, let's be fair, a bomb will be better in 95% of situations and that is unfortunate, but we'll ignore that for now.

If you're getting to sector 5, sector 6, sector 7, you're much better off with a good missile than an extra Burst I. You've probably build up to 20+ missiles by now, so using them isn't that big a deal. You also likely don't have enough power to use all of your weapons at once. Missiles aren't meant to be your only weapon. They're meant to make up the difference between your other weapons and the enemy shields. Sure, there are some exceptions, like hull missiles, but generally it's all about the shield busting so your other weapons can be useful.

When a missile hits a shield room for 3 damage, that's the equivalent of 12 lasers in a high sector fight. 4 for the shields, 3 for the damage, and you may as well nearly double it to account for their high dodge. That's the role of missiles.
Herr Terror

Postby Herr Terror » Sat May 10, 2014 6:18 pm

The concessions to missile-centric strategy that Advanced Edition brought have really missed the point as well (and kinda touch on why I think the Advanced Edition wasn't the best implementation of this great new content, more like gluing it on rather than weaving it in).

Sure, there are now augs that give you a chance not to spend the missile and to disable defense drones. Except that these take up aug space and now become your aug priorities. In the extremely rare case you could find both and kept the ship-specific aug (and did so early enough in a run to be able to actually enjoy having them), you'll be eschewing Pre-Igniter, Scrap Recovery, etc. On top of that, adding them in dilutes the aug pool, making them ALL rarer to find. A decent missile run shouldn't require eating up your aug space quite that much.

I think the best answer is to make bombs a less attractive option. You should either need a teleporter to be able to use bombs, or enemy ships with teleporters should have additional chance to deflect them. That, or maybe give missiles a small percent chance to evade defensive drone fire.