Your "I'm too stupid to play this game" moments.

General discussion about the game.
5thHorseman

Your "I'm too stupid to play this game" moments.

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:02 am

Sometimes FTL screws you over. Sometimes, you do it yourself.

Just now I had a crew of 8 in the Nesasio. I'd gotten a L2 cloak, vulcan, mind control, and the only problem I had was I didn't have enough power to run it all. So I powered down my cloak to mind control a guy after a lucky fire started, and low and behold all their guys got burnt down to about 5 health before running away. The fire took out the weapons, so I was totally safe.

I sat there, watching their ship slowly get engulfed in flames. "Haha" I thought. "This'll be easy."

"Beep beep. Beep beep."

Confused, I look over at my ship (which I'd all but forgotten about). The rooms were all devoid of O2 and my guys were all quickly becoming devoid of HP. I hit pause. 10 health each. I selected the 3 closest to the Medbay and ran them there. 2 made it.

6 guys dead, and all I got when I won the battle was 50 scrap.

I'm too stupid, sometimes, to play this game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
5thHorseman

Re: Your "I'm too stupid to play this game" moments.

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:54 am

And I seriously bet nobody would believe me if I said that later in the same run, I did EXACTLY THE SAME THING.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:02 pm

I just had one whilst READING THIS THREAD.

Jumped into Sector 2, first encounter was with an absurdly powerful Auto-Drone (Normal difficulty). Beam drone, missile launcher, Ion Charge thingy. First rocket hit my shields, things went downhill from there.
I was about to just call it a day and shut off all systems, down to 3 hp with all major systems damage or down, when the drone just jumps away to 'call reinforcements'. Well, day saved. I send my engineer to fix the O² system, then decide to throw a quick look at the forum whilst he finishes the repairs.

Needless to say, this thread got my interest caught well enough for me to tab back in onto the "Your crew has died" screen.

Note to self: Don't tab out unless the oxygen is green. And keep in mind that the O² system does NOT auto-repower when being repaired (unlike shields).
Greetz,
Alblaka
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:20 pm

Was playing the game the Friday after AE came out, with my friend Bob. We were using the Lanius ship, type B, and were in a battle with an enemy ship. Everything was going well, when the enemy teleported over to my ship. My guys were low on health, but I figured I could kill the enemy boarders first, since they had low health too. Plus I could just clone my dudes again if they died. So the fist fight went reasonably well, with my one guy still standing, and both boarders dead.

Me: "Stupid rebels, trying to board our ship. We showed them! Hey, what's that beeping...?"
Bob: "Did you just kill our alien guy?!?"
Me: "No, you distracted me and I forgot to turn the clone bay back on!"
Reptile

Postby Reptile » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:25 pm

I had one recently. I got a really good boarding crew 3 mantis and 1 rockmen almost all of them fully skilled. So I was fighting this really easy ship so I decided to have a litle fun. I destroyed his shields and weapons and hacked his pilot seat. I boarded and killed everyone except the pilot. Every system on his ship was destroyed and he started to die from fire so I decide to watch him burn to his death. Fire was spreading all over the place engines exploded and stuff. Pilot had few HP left and then BOOM his ship exploded from fire damage. I laughed maniacally :twisted: and then came a horrible realisation. I didn't send my boarding crew back and all of them died there. FUUUUUUUUUU
I didnt rage so much in a long time and immediatly closed the game.
Nukeknockout

Postby Nukeknockout » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 pm

I'm in Slug A. I have three HP left. I come across the "automated station" event. I note the drone has a Hermes or Breach missile.

I attack anyway. It's the fourth sector, and I'm carrying enough weapons to beat the boss if I could power them all. Net result? The ignominious end of a lucky run.
throwscats

Postby throwscats » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 am

I frequently forget to power off the artillery beam as the federation cruiser when I'm aboard the enemy ship and their hull is low. I always TELL myself that I'm going to remember, this time, and that I'm only powering it on to help me out with taking out systems, and then I asplode.
obliviondoll

Postby obliviondoll » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:50 am

I... uhhh... may have forgotten to use my fully-powered level 2 hacking system after the first time hacking the missile control room on the Flagship once.

I may have remembered that I had it hacked right after it fired the volley of missiles which killed my ship.

To make this even better, the flagship was at 3 HP when it killed me, with no shields, and a destroyed helm, and I had a BL2 almost ready to fire.

:cry:
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:29 am

throwscats wrote:I frequently forget to power off the artillery beam as the federation cruiser when I'm aboard the enemy ship and their hull is low. I always TELL myself that I'm going to remember, this time, and that I'm only powering it on to help me out with taking out systems, and then I asplode.

I'm pretty sure I've killed at least 100 of my boarders with the Artillery Beam. At least.
PrinceStolos

Postby PrinceStolos » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:46 am

Alblaka wrote:Needless to say, this thread got my interest caught well enough for me to tab back in onto the "Your crew has died" screen.

Note to self: Don't tab out unless the oxygen is green. And keep in mind that the O² system does NOT auto-repower when being repaired (unlike shields).

Go to the options menu, select the "Windows Focus Auto-Pause" feature or something like that. Automatically pauses whenever you tab out of FTL. I bet you feel REALLY stupid now knowing that this is a feature since AE.

I haven't had a lot of notably stupid moments for a while in FTL, especially since AE released, so I'll just list off a lot of common fatal mistakes:
- Being caught in an ion storm that disabled oxygen, and not turning it back on as you continued into the nebula.
- Forgetting to pull back your boarding party as you blast a ship to pieces. Extra painful with the Federation Crusier.
- Realizing you have a system/weapon/drone that could've made that last fight easier/possible, after the fight is already finished.
- Getting into a large melee with Zoltan and forgetting that they now explode on death.
- Risking your ship being blown apart because you were focusing too hard on the boarders attacking your crew and forgetting that your weapons are charged and you have to shoot the enemy ship too.
- Having 1-3 HP left and deciding that getting into a fight is an excellent idea, only to find a ship that can reliably hit you.
- Getting a Stasis Pod, and forgetting it exists in your inventory even though you are given the opportunity to attempt to follow though on the quest.
- Setting Missile Weapons to Autofire when your primary armament(s) use Missiles.