Advanced Edition: First impressions thread

General discussion about the game.
tututu

Re: Advanced Edition: First impressions thread

Postby tututu » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:11 am

I laugh at people who think they're skilled when playing ftl advanced edition instead, i don't know why you think you're better than me or something to laugh at me ?
I just had another playthrough on hard , last sector and well the base is literally in the upper right corner and i have to cross the entire field which is filled with 4shield rebel ships that don't give you anything when you kill em and the repair stations were in the edges and if i were to repair myeslf i wouldn't reach the base in time, even if i did reach all stations they were so far from the base id have to fight few times before i get there.. and the rebel ship spawned near the base and there was no way i could get there before it so it waited me when i was there

explain to me what did i do wrong here? I enter sector 8 and im faced with impossible odds which you *cannot* beat becuase impossible means impossible not near impossible. The only way i could win in this case would be if i beat atleast 5 rebel ships without losing more than 2 hp which might be possible but wasn't for me since out of the 4weapons i had 1 was the starter one (on kestrel B) because i never saw a better one throughout the entire game because luck/rng factor. My ship was actually quite strong but if i get a miss on my ion bomb (with pre igniter) then im bound to take damage even if hack the weapons

so you're calling me a troll because im stating the obvious? the game is undertested and like i said very little thought put in it, sort of like a russian roulette but if you actually survive you'll have to outrun a mad dog that they release just after you pressed the trigger and there are also spikes and people throw javelins at you throughout the entire course. So the problem isnt the outrunning the dog , javelins and spikes, the problem is that in russian roulette you end up dying after few tries and this is a game .. if theres an option in which you lose regardless of what you do then its a badly designed one
end of the story
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:33 am

tututu wrote:so you're calling me a troll because im stating the obvious?

He called you a troll because in the same paragraph you said you were a good player, but had 200 scrap and only 1 shield. You GREATLY overestimate your skill if you think you are not supposed to upgrade to a 2nd shield FIRST, before ANYTHING else.

And if you can't traverse the 8th sector safely (farm it, even) then you're not doing well enough in the previous 7 to have a ship good enough to take on the boss. There are 2 reasons for this, and both may be true. One is that you played a particularly hard run and just didn't catch any (or many) breaks. It happens. Oh well, the game only takes 2 hours, play again. The other possibility is that you need to calmly assess your strategies and determine what you are doing (and not doing) that is making your arrival at sector 8 so ill prepared.

Hard mode kicks my ass. I reach the final sector maybe one out of every 5 times and die there half the time in hard mode. Unlike you, I don't consider this a problem. I consider it a challenge and a great relief after the frankly BORING final sector of the previous game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
stvip

Postby stvip » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 am

We have this:

tututu wrote:I laugh at people who think they're skilled when playing ftl advanced edition instead, i don't know why you think you're better than me or something to laugh at me ?

Preceded by this:

tututu wrote:so brb on my 20th death in which i visited 4 shops with 200 scrap without finding absolutely anything worthy and then i met an enemy with 3 shield (vs my 1) in an asteroid field and well even if i had 4 shield the ship was filled with rockets + hacked my weapons from the start (which doesnt seem to happen on normal, just on hard)

Visiting four shops implies you were at least in Sector 2, hanging on to 200 scrap, without upgrading your shields (and I'd just love to see exactly which items you deemed absolutely worthless in all those shops), and you're quick to jump to conclusions on the game mechanics, such as with the choice of a hacking target. I think our skepticism about the validity of your claims are warranted.

tututu wrote:edit 2min later: just started a new game, missed 9 out of 9 shots against a ship with missiles on my first sector jump, oh yeah restart button here i come

But look, you don't have to like the game. There's a certain proability of such an event occuring - if such occurences fill you with anguish, rather than excitement, play something else (not Nethack!). We can take it.
Bloody_Lemon

Postby Bloody_Lemon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:21 pm

I thought someone mentioned not to feed the trolls :D
Ciurrioc

Postby Ciurrioc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:12 am

This is a harsh environment for trolls, we have to be compassionate and feed them from time to time. :mrgreen:
project_mercy

Postby project_mercy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:46 am

I'm enjoying the AE changes. I especially like the new music. Reminds me of the mods from Star Control. New modules are fun, and the new weapons are fun, beyond I feel the flak guns are a bit too good. Adding hacking & mind control really makes the boss fight more interesting and spices up the other phases.

Problems or Things I wish were different

• I have a bug where sometimes the weapon hot keys disable the weapon instead of targetting. I have to save+quit and come back, then they work fine. EDIT: This appears to be a Steam Overlay incompatability. Just hitting shift seems to stop it. I believe this is due to my steam overlay hotkey being shift-f1.
  • All shops need 2 panes. The additional items makes certain ships harder to be viable than they should and puts even more weight on your initial selection and on randomness, which is not really ideal.
  • I wish the achievements/tracking thingies updated when you did them on hard. I had to basically wipe my .prof and start fresh to track hard-mode progress.
Last edited by project_mercy on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cretin

Postby cretin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

hey guys, just tried the new expansion on hard/AE

great addon as far as i can tell

but imo u really should think about an additional difficulty, people from other roguelikes dont even take this game seriously :P

got 2 wins out of 7 while 2 fails where sector 1 with mantis b, and i didnt play the game quite some time.

hard mode now feels like a normal difficulty for me, but u know there is always more extreme gamers who want the real challenge (where u can win 1 out of 100 games if ure really good)

flak mk1 definitely too low cooldown, with automated reloader its just another no brainer weapon like burst mk2, and now u get pretty high chances of aquiring 2+ of those weapons combined. it really weakens the other weapon options(which shine in creativity), and as u can read no one really bothers to use missile weapons at the end of the game. i won a flagship fight with only 2flaks/burst mk2/dual laser and had no single other subsystem, just 4layer shields and 45 dodge.
on normal/normal mode this was much harder as u couldnt achieve such a strong weapon loadout that frequently.
same goes for ion weapons which work best stacked, theyre now easier to get 2+ of

but i feel like the mid game got a little harder and the reduced scrap is some challenge, but once u got one of those op weapon combos - compared to sector - its a cakewalk.
boss could need more buffing too or just create an additional UBER-boss which is optional

off to play another round ;) wanna try that shielding drone as i never had the funds to buy one
tremor3258

Postby tremor3258 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 pm

Got a couple ships through in the new expansion.

First - liking the new look of things like rewards, easier to see, and liking the save positions. The new systems have added a lot of flexibility (though the flagship's hacking consistently desperately forces me to change my completely strategy). The new weapons just make everything more frantic and I'm enjoying that.

That said - and talk about sacred cows, and I can't believe they did this, but...

Who let the slugs actually have a decent interceptor!!!! :lol:
Bloody_Lemon

Postby Bloody_Lemon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Did I say I've wanted to test hacking + fire bomb? I did :D

http://imgur.com/C2TieMT

The best part is that enemy AI is really strange on this - if they started breaking one door open and another one opens, they do not escape immediately and die. All the better :D
tututu

Postby tututu » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:53 pm

5thHorseman wrote:
tututu wrote:so you're calling me a troll because im stating the obvious?

He called you a troll because in the same paragraph you said you were a good player, but had 200 scrap and only 1 shield. You GREATLY overestimate your skill if you think you are not supposed to upgrade to a 2nd shield FIRST, before ANYTHING else.

I greatly overestimate my skill? Oh so heres my "proof"

http://i.imgur.com/KIDmL3F.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RKxvVDn.jpg

so there you have it, not only i beat this silly game on hard +advanced but i did so with full hp ... well one is missing but i have thrity seven drone parts and hull repair so thats um 111-185 ? more hp on my ship

So now that its clear that i actually do have a clue what im talking about, im gonna come here and repeat
R N G

i played ftl inbetween of playing another game so i wasnt that focused or paid so much attention and well i did die a lot and a lot and a lot until i finally got lucky with nice encounters and nice shops and thats the result
look at my weapons actually.. i didn't get any weapons in any encounter (which is actually bad luck huh) i only bought a ion blast mark 2 of a store and the rest are starter weapons

am i skilled now? or what, i mean after all i did beat the flagship and anything else at full hp throughout this entire playthrough (I did get hit few times but oh well hull repair drone and i had defense mark 2 drone so thats that as well.. + the zoltan shield)
I don't really care , what i said still stands, if you get favorable encounters you can win if you dont get favorable encounters then you're supposed to restart the game because there are encounters which you cannot win (nobody can win even the most advanced AI in teh world or whatever) becuase the game like i said can be actually impossible

and well atleast it only takes 1-2 hours to finish it so i guess i can forgive the fact that there are playthroughs which are doomed to fail entirely due to rng but its still frustrating nonetheless