General discussion about the game.
JonasTheRoman

Re: Advanced Edition: First impressions thread

Postby JonasTheRoman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:20 am

I wanted to point out that the new music is just epic. :shock:
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:01 am

Seems like the last sector is different, there´s no number of jumps counter... instead the game is lost if the boss is in base sector for 3 turns apparently. So a bit more time to grind there if need be.
IWillBeYourDeath

Postby IWillBeYourDeath » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:21 pm

I absouleteley LOVE Advanced edition! It is amazing! The new weapon diversification is extraordianry but missiles and beams could use some love too. I haven't found mind control very reliable, but hacking is very very useful! But there's been a massive problem. Just massive. So there I am with and Engi ship layout B. Me Vs Rebel flagship. I've got a teleporter which I used to disable their weaponry. Ok now, let me just slowly shoot at them aaaaaaaand my weapons are hacked. I literally can't shoot. I can't do anything. The teleporter is just useless. So I'm just sitting there looking, then I say to myself "Now what?" I would like to see something against hacking, because seriously!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Mendel wrote:Seems like the last sector is different, there´s no number of jumps counter... instead the game is lost if the boss is in base sector for 3 turns apparently. So a bit more time to grind there if need be.

This was a HUGE thing in Beta testing. The Devs hated the old way, and I must admit I never liked it that much either. They instituted a new way that most of us testers didn't like, and what you have now is what you could I guess call attempt #3.

The new way was closer to the previous 7 sectors. There was no base (well, it was on the left side but it meant nothing), the flagship wandered around on the right side, and the rebels were still pursuing you. It was interesting but I didn't like that your base was now a non-issue and there was no clear reason to destroy the flagship.

Of the 3 options, I much prefer the one we ended up with here.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Diet Water

Postby Diet Water » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:56 pm

I must say AE is tremendously fun. The sheer number of new items leads to a general increase in difficulty, as there are so many new combinations you must be prepared for. The new systems can be devastating when used against you, but I haven't found much use for them myself (at least on Hard), they're just too expensive to be worth their effect. Speaking of which, Hard mode is hard. Only have achieved one win (in the Nesasio), out of 14 total runs. One thing I have noticed is that Breach Missiles are a lot more common, and if you don't have cloak or a D Drone, you can get screwed really quickly. (Many poor Kestrels died this way).

IWillBeYourDeath wrote:...I would like to see something against hacking, because seriously!

Both Defense Drones and Anti-Drone Drones can shoot down hacking drones. (they might miss, but it's a start)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Diet Water wrote:Both Defense Drones and Anti-Drone Drones can shoot down hacking drones. (they might miss, but it's a start)

Also, if they hack a system you don't like, you can hack their hacking room :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:26 am

Let's see, first impressions:

Repair Arm still unacceptably awful. Appears to still repair for only 1-2 for a massive 15% scrap rounded against you; unsure if it still robs you when you're at full hull. Unfortunate that there's still an augment that's actively bad to use.

Lots of good Quality of Life Tweaks. Handful of good balance tweaks - RIF fixed (hopefully works for pulsars?), Ion Bomb nerfed and still OP. Good price reductions for a variety of things.

There's now three different Burst Laser 1s. I guess this is fine - gives consistency with weapon finds (plus some slight variety).

Chain Ion is almost an Ion Blast II that only requires 2 power.

Heavy Ion is still garbage. Engi B is saddened by this.

Hard Mode is very rough but manageable. Current estimate: winnable 95% of the time.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:38 am

FTL: about ten dollars
Advanced Edition: Free
Losing three crew members to a hacked medbay: Priceless.
IXXIAIXXI

Postby IXXIAIXXI » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:41 am

Well, I am loving Advanced Edition!

I'll start with describing one of the funniest runs I've ever had. I was using Kestrel B (to unlock type C). I was playing on Easy, since I'm not that good, and I guessed my fail chance would increase with the AE stuff enabled. And maybe it was too easy, because I decimated most enemies with my X2 Flak I and X2 Basic Laser (not to mention my X2 automated reloader). Even beat the boss (since it was on Easy, I don't count that run in my wins though).

In that run I realised something amazing. Level 2 or 3 hacking + Level 2 or 3 Cloaking (Preferably 3, at least for hacking) = Pure win in terms of defense. Let me tell you why.

Example: Enemy has a dangerous missile. Hack its weapons. Cloak the first shot. The enemy will get the next shot in because the cloak hasn't charged yet. But what's this? A hacking drone removing the charge of the missile? Looks like the cloak will get time to charge after all. Repeat for infinite missile dodge (The setback here is that you can't hack anything other than weapons, but hey, I'll gladly pay that price). And with the defense drone scrambler augment, the hacking drone will always get to the system.

And to top it off, you could have a shield drone and defense drone as a double layer of foolproofing. And imagine full dodge and shields with all this. It would almost make you invincible!

But beware... The VULCAN. I met a ship with this thing (a rebel ship in sector 8), waited to see how deadly it would actually be. Luckily I had good engines, so I dodged it every now and then, but ended up having to escape. I would really like to try this weapon myself. But the most epic thing of all, you can have 2 of them.
Mendel

Postby Mendel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:49 pm

So... any chance there will be c layouts for crystal and lanius ships later on, maybe as a small update?