Blue story options for Humans?

General discussion about the game.
mcandre

Blue story options for Humans?

Postby mcandre » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Reddit had an interesting thought for FTL: Why no blue story options for Humans? True, they're boring and uninteresting, but there must be some things only a human can do?

Maybe there's a xenophobic trader who only trades with other humans? Droids? We don't serve their kind here. Something like that.
Jamesc359

Re: Blue story options for Humans?

Postby Jamesc359 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:59 pm

I'd love to see some blue story lines for humans, however there's a few issues with that; one is that humans are pretty much a given on the majority of ships. So any such story lines would probably need to be limited to specific non-human ships. The xenophobic trader would be a good choice, but then what? As the description states "humans are common and uninteresting." Without giving humans a unique skill set it'd be pretty hard to develop special blue stories for them.

I suppose one option would be to make humans skilled pilots. That would open up several options; like a narrow miss with an Alien ship or asteroid. Another would be allowing the human pilot to find and navigate through a treacherous worm hole that leads to some kind of special reward.
KeronCyst

Postby KeronCyst » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:53 pm

So, following that line of thought, we should have blue story options that depend on not only race, but skill level in a certain manned field. Rookie Human. Experienced Rockman. Veteran Engi. Ooh-la-la.
LastDay

Postby LastDay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:03 pm

The rebels seem to be some sort of human-only racists, so maybe you could meet a rebel ship with wrecked scanners and have a human crewmember message them, masquerading as a rebel to gain additional intel.
Jamesc359

Postby Jamesc359 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:05 am

LastDay wrote:The rebels seem to be some sort of human-only racists

I never got the impression the Rebels were racist in the game. Insular perhaps, but I'd rather think the lack of Alien crew is more likely because their struggle with the Federation doesn't really involve most Alien species. Why would anybody join another species rebellion against their Government? A few might, but they'd likely be the exception to the norm.
LastDay wrote:so maybe you could meet a rebel ship with wrecked scanners and have a human crewmember message them, masquerading as a rebel to gain additional intel.

This would make sense given that there are no Alien's in the Rebellion fleet.
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:15 am

Sorry if this is a thread "necro", but since this is only a week later, I don't think it counts. :)
Anyways, there is at least one blue option for humans in the advanced edition now.
Basically, I think it's a joke option, since:
1. It's the only blue option for humans I've encountered.
2. The blue option involves talking to an insane person who wants to join your crew...
Last edited by AileTheAlien on Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:25 am

AileTheAlien wrote:Sorry if this is a thread "necro", but since this is only a week later, I don't think it counts. :)
Anyways, there is at least one blue option for humans in the advanced edition now.
2. The blue option involves talking to an insane person who wants to join your crew...

That's a great option to take. :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Jaggedmallard

Postby Jaggedmallard » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:03 pm

AileTheAlien wrote:Sorry if this is a thread "necro", but since this is only a week later, I don't think it counts. :)

Hes not insane hes just a confused Mantis. The human is needed because he thinks hes a human and can only talk to humans.
AileTheAlien

Postby AileTheAlien » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 pm

I'm pretty sure that it counts as insane, if you think that you are another species. :P
Holoyuri

Postby Holoyuri » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:54 pm

Jaggedmallard wrote:

Hes not insane hes just a confused Mantis. The human is needed because he thinks hes a human and can only talk to humans.

Weird. When I did so, I got another human! Must be a random species.