What happened in your last run?

General discussion about the game.
wolfboyft

Re: What happened in your last run?

Postby wolfboyft » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 am

zeek wrote:Kestrel B it was a fairly easy run, but there was a point where I was getting a little nervous. I was down to 5 hull points left and hadn't been able to find a store for a really long time. I had maxed shields and a defense drone. So, I was fairly well protected, but there's always a chance of a missile getting by. Luckily I had a great boards (3 mantis and a crystal). Along with my weapon layout of 2 heavy ions and whatever else I could power at the time, sometimes it was the basic lasers but later it was a halberd beam, I was fairly good at tearing through enemies. Luckily I found a shop and got patched up. Sadly I couldn't find cloaking until the last store I found in sector 7. That was annoying, but I think I got about the best crew I could ever want. 3 mantis, 1 rock, 1 engi, 2 zoltan, 1 crystal. I probably would have been happy with a second crystal but that's asking a lot.

So... did you win :?:
Gaming

Postby Gaming » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:39 pm

My Zoltan B was out of luck after her first few jumps, meeting a beam drone, an asteroid field and her fate, in that order.
zeek

Postby zeek » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:39 pm

wolfboyft wrote:
zeek wrote:Kestrel B it was a fairly easy run, but there was a point where I was getting a little nervous. I was down to 5 hull points left and hadn't been able to find a store for a really long time. I had maxed shields and a defense drone. So, I was fairly well protected, but there's always a chance of a missile getting by. Luckily I had a great boards (3 mantis and a crystal). Along with my weapon layout of 2 heavy ions and whatever else I could power at the time, sometimes it was the basic lasers but later it was a halberd beam, I was fairly good at tearing through enemies. Luckily I found a shop and got patched up. Sadly I couldn't find cloaking until the last store I found in sector 7. That was annoying, but I think I got about the best crew I could ever want. 3 mantis, 1 rock, 1 engi, 2 zoltan, 1 crystal. I probably would have been happy with a second crystal but that's asking a lot.

So... did you win :?:

Yep easy peasy.

Next run was the Stealth A (I'm going in the order from the hanger until I lose then I go back and start over). That run was pretty uneventful. I got shields ASAP and I got a heavy laser drop. Grabbed a teleporter and it was pretty downhill from there. Eventually I picked up an Ion Blast mk II from killing a ship's crew then later I found a store with another Ion Blast mk II. I ran those with the heavy laser as my weapon layout. I had an automated reloader and a maxed gunner so I pretty much used them to fully suppress shields and weapons on the enemy ships and then use the heavy laser to take out the med bay. I also grabbed a fire bomb and found a breach bomb II. So, I used those along with the heavy laser on the first phase of the flagship so I could kill the crew. Went pretty well. Now on to the Stealth B ugh.
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Got blowed up in the Stealth B. Again. T_T
Gaming

Postby Gaming » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:39 am

I write this as I play it. I find it very difficult to remember later the exact details that makes a tale so involving.

Zoltan B. Three bright dudes man the ship. I salute the dock and depart.

Jump. Aaaaand an asteroid field. Why it has to begin like this? I can take only five hits before I start to feel the pain. A happy pirate has a missile and a gun. My ions get his shields down, immediately after that an asteroid makes sure they stay this way. Meanwhile I took two hits from the rocky environment. The pirate fires a salvo and my shields dissapear. I evade an asteroid, he does not. I commence a long cut with my beam, he offers surrender. I get scrap, fuel and a beam drone. Suddently no asteroids come anymore. Except the one that made my shield subsystem red. But the ship is ready to jump. Unbelievably I emerge victorious, and with only one point of damage!

Next I meet unknown species and try to communicate peacefully. They show me a site crash and I reacivate an Engi. The new crew member skillfully takes care of the red shileds. Then I assign him as a pilot while the former one joins the engine room to contribute his powers.

The journey continues uneventfully. I sell the beam drone in a store, buy fuel and patch all damage. I meet a slaver with a missile and Laser Mk II. Before he can fire the third time and breach my Zoltan shield I have him surrender. I get a Mantis in my crew! The future looks wide open. I only need shields, guns and a teleporter.

Some dull fights, some quests and I finish the sector without further trouble. By the time I jump I have 105 scrap and upgrade my shields. The two shiny guys from the engine room get reassigned as shiled officers. This way I'm protected from ion guns too. If I get better weapons by the time Shield 2 ships appear I will be safe.

Sector 2 begins. A quest marker turns out to be a trap, too bad for them. I continue to chew ships. But I get low on fuel with only 5 units remaining.

Next place is an asteroid field with an automated scout sporting two heavy lasers and a cloak. I get a few lucky evasions but by the time the enemy is destroyed my shields are down thanks to an asteroid hit straight to the shields room. Then I get one hit in the weapons. Then one in the cockpit. Shields get repaired, phew! All guys pay a quick visit to the medbay. It's all fine now except the ship has 9 HP damage, 21 to go. I should have upgraded my shields, I have 94 scrap already. I am tempted to stay in this place for a while so the shield guy, the pilot and the Mantis in the engine room master their skills but I don't think that's the spirit of the game. Jump.

A settlement loyal to the Federation gifts me a Halberd Beam. Would you like fries with that?

Things look pretty uninteresting at this time. I will continue later.
zeek

Postby zeek » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Dirka wrote:Got blowed up in the Stealth B. Again. T_T

Me too. :lol:

Got to sector 2 with the standard setup plus I got greedy and bought a teleporter at the first store because I got a mantis when I agreed to spare some slavers. First encounter in sector two was a zoltan ship with a beam drone. It took out my weapons, then their heavy laser took down my cloak (even though I was cloaked), and soon enough my engines were knocked out and I was a sitting duck. gg
itg

Postby itg » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:06 am

I just won my first shieldless run! I used the Stealth B. Bought a pre-igniter later on in the 2nd sector, an auto-reloader in sector 3, and a burst II in the 3rd or 4th. in sector 5 or 6, I got a free burst I, and that's the loadout I stuck with. I never found a defense II drone. I only found one defense I the entire game, and I had to buy it separately at that. Despite all that, my ship's overwhelming offense took down the flagship before I could be totally blown to bits, although it was close.

I made a backup of the save at the end of sector 7 in order to go back and try farming rebels a bit. I think the ship might actually be capable of a farmed highscore, even though I really should have done the farming back in sector 5 or 6.

Oh yeah, I took a couple screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/YFS0h

Edit: Yeah, this ship can kill rebels indefinitely. It even better in the ion storms, since it has so much excess power.

I'm not exactly a fan of endless grinding, but it would be something to have the record high score on a shieldless run. Who knows, maybe I'll grind it out a bit at a time...
zeek

Postby zeek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Kestrel B ship I'd been trying to get a crystal crew member the entire game (which I pretty much do every run). I had the stasis pod in sector 3 and had a few possible sectors to open it but couldn't get an event to save me. The very last beacon before going to the last stand I finally opened that darn pod. I even had to let the rebel fleet overtake the exit beacon. Crystal crewman ftw! Love how easy they make taking out the flagship crew.
Leylite

Postby Leylite » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Well, I was playing a round with the Engi B on Normal (named it the "Cardboard Tube"). I've already won with this ship on Normal (and am somewhat familiar with what you have to do with it to win), so I pursued the normal strategy - upgrade shields to level 2, engines up to around 3, and then save up scrap to get a weapon. I didn't see a shop with a weapon until the end of sector 2, so at that point I decided I absolutely had to buy a weapon so I could kill ships with 2 shields.

The shop was offering a Healing Burst, a Fire Beam, and a Heavy Laser II. Thinking that the main thing I needed to do was increase the number of projectiles I could fire, I got the Heavy Laser II, and bought an extra weapons level (so I could fire the Heavy Laser II and Heavy Laser I.)

I ended up having some severe problems penetrating 2-shield ships mostly because I had to rely on all three projectiles hitting - but once they did, they did great damage, oftentimes causing the wonderful "hull breach noise". It's too bad this ship doesn't start with Sensors 2; I'd love to see the enemy crew panicking about those.

Eventually I managed to get a Defense Drone, and some more weaponry - but always with low numbers of projectiles - so my final loadout going into Sector 7 was Heavy Laser II, Hull Laser I and Burst Laser I, for a total of six projectiles.

As far as crew was concerned, I lucked out and got a Rockman from a slaver surrender in sector 3, but unfortunately lost him by getting greedy - I happened upon the "cave madman event" without a level 2 medbay, and decided to try my luck as I only had three crew at the time. The Rockman died and I was left with 2 engi on-board. I ended up buying a Human at the start of a Mantis Homeworlds, and later picked up another human and Engi.

In Sector 7, I upgraded my weapons enough to have all three weapons online at once, and leveled up shields to 4. At the end of the sector, I saw a store and had 149 scrap. I was hoping to buy a teleporter, but despite the store having systems, the only two systems available were Sensors and Cloaking. The Rebels were two jumps away from the store, so I didn't have time to go to another encounter, get 1 more scrap, and jump back. So I went directly to the Last Stand, with nothing but shields and engines 7 to protect me.

I had a couple of battles in Sector 8 against an Auto-Scout and a Rebel Rigger; both of them were really stalemate-y - they couldn't hurt me because their weapons timings were off, but I had to keep firing until 5 out of 6 of my projectiles hit (and I damaged shields by 2 - at this point I was no longer targetting piloting since level 3 piloting was common). I eventually managed to win those battles without taking a scratch.

Finally, I was at the Flagship. I didn't have a teleporter or a cloak, so I knew ahead of time that I was going to be taking damage from the triple missile launcher until I could take it offline. I focused all my fire on the missile launcher, trying to kill the manner with the Heavy Lasers. I finally succeeded, after taking about 6 damage. After that, I just barely managed to kill the guy manning the triple lasers - I figured that would be the most important since in phase 2 the lasers can contribute to dropping the player's shields.

Phase 2 was pretty rough - despite having killed the two relevant crewmembers in phase 1, it took me quite a while to actually hit the missile launcher, and in the meantime I was taking missile damage. I was fine for the first drone surge, but the second drone surge generated 4 normal anti-ship and 2 beam, so I took about five damage for that one despite putting all my power into engines. Finally I managed to destroy the missile launcher, then the lasers, and from there I was mostly safe - shot down the shields and defeated that phase without any more issues. I checked to see if there were any repair stations left, but there were not - so I entered Phase 3 with about half hull.

It was phase 3 where things really came to a head. In theory, a Heavy Laser II, a Hull Laser I and a Burst Laser I should have been able to take down the Zoltan Shield relatively quickly. In practice, I was getting a lot of misses. It was at this point, more than any other, that I rued not having an attack drone of any kind. Missile after missile kept hitting me - some missed, and some were shot down by the Defense Drone, but I was definitely taking some damage. The first power surge completely missed me, but the missiles took me down to about half hull.

After I took the Zoltan Shield down, I finally managed to damage the missile launcher by 2, but then whiffed the next volley, and the Flagship elected to regenerate its super shields. After about three or four volleys I was able to take down the shields again.

Just as I was trying to kill the missile launcher for good, the Flagship fired three more rockets. All three of them hit, and destroyed the Engi B.

So yeah, I wasn't even particularly angry about that, just kind of bemused that, due to not really having enough projectiles in the air, I ended up taking about 20 hull damage worth of missiles due to also not having a cloak or a teleporter. Something to keep in mind for the next time!