What happened in your last run?

General discussion about the game.
itg

What happened in your last run?

Postby itg » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:41 pm

This is a thread for sharing what happened on your last run. It doesn't have to be anything special, or even a full-game summary. Just share what you want to share.

I'll start. I picked the Red-Tail with the intention of finally getting the United Federation achievement (get 6 different types of crewman), but the real theme of the run was getting tons free junk I couldn't use while finding very little of the stuff I really wanted. In the first 3 sectors, I got four anti-personnel drones, a missile weapon (Hermes, I think), a burst I and a burst III, and a glaive beam. I was pretty tempted to try for a burst III + glaive combo for the endgame, but I ended up selling the glaive. Maybe I should have kept it, since I ended using the burst III, a halberd beam I bought, and a basic laser on the flagship.

In the first 2 sectors, I got a free Zoltan from some event and bought an Engi. I got another human pretty quickly, too, I think from an event in sector 3.

I bought drone control in sector 3, but I got stuck with a free repair drone. Eventually, I found a defense drone II to buy, but at least I got some use out of one of those anti-personnel drones in the meantime.

In sector 4, I assassinated a couple zoltans using improved sensors and carefully aimed basic lasers. I got a Rockman for my trouble. Now all I needed was a slug to get that achievement.

The transition out of basic lasers was a little rough, since the burst I wasn't a huge upgrade, and the burst III wouldn't be useful for a few more sectors. I got by by finding a teleporter, but it was a challenge taking out medbays with only 5 lasers to pierce 3 shields. I actually bought a boarding drone to help out, and it was probably even worth the 70 scrap. Things got much easier when I bought the halberd beam.

In sector 6, a slug-controlled nebula, I bought a slug from a shop. Achievement unlocked!

I went into the flagship battle with the burst III, halberd beam, basic laser, defense drone II, boarding drone, cloaking, full shields, and nearly all possible upgrades. No augments, unfortunately. I've certainly had better weapons loadouts, but my defenses were nearly maxed, so I beat the flagship taking just a point or two of damage.

Overall, it was a challenging run, and one of the most fun runs I've played recently. I had a ton of scrap on hand, but I also had to spend a ton of scrap to stay competitive while completing the achievement. I got a lot of use out of some little-used hardware, and I got a pretty good score, too; it was my best with the Red-Tail and narrowly missed my top 5 list.
leopardenthusiast

Re: What happened in your last run?

Postby leopardenthusiast » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:42 pm

I was flying Stealth A because I adore it, and on Easy because I'm a wimp. First jump, Auto Assault with Heavy Laser and Mini Beam. I lost a guy and took 13 hull damage.

Second jump, Rebel Rigger with Beam Drone and Mini Beam.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm

And third jump?

;-)
leopardenthusiast

Postby leopardenthusiast » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:59 pm

shadowcrust wrote:And third jump?

;-)

There was no third jump. I was already completely trashed, and since my level 1 cloak didn't do a damn thing to help me, I couldn't keep my weapons online long enough to take out a system, nor could I keep my engines online long enough to escape.
tremor3258

Postby tremor3258 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Stealth A - normal - seeking brave new Crystal worlds (the brave Nesario just got pounded by asteroids, though) - also realized I hadn't gotten tactical approach.

Sector 3, had plenty of firepower thanks to some luck with offerings, but basically got cut to pieces by a beam drone on a rigger because bad luck with stores. I limped a few more jumps after that, but I was basically sliced and diced.
Gecimen

Postby Gecimen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:49 am

I picked Zoltan B for my 5th run after the rock cruiser, my last ship to unlock. On the way I picked up an engi and 2 rocks to deal with the fire. On sector 5 I was almost dying in a solar flame event. Then I was panicked and raised my doors to level 3. Sector 6 was rock homeworlds. I met a merc and got him scan the area. The last node before exit was the event and contrary to the last time I found them, they gave me the quest marker in next sector. I upgraded as much defense as I could but the event lasted lot shorter tgan I thought (first time I did this fight I accidentally destroyed them). Then I pulled back to the node I came from to put the fires out safely and stormed to get "my own fleet" achievement.
Iranon

Postby Iranon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:11 pm

Slug B. 6 Shops, no Medbay, no non-missile weapon.
itg

Postby itg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Hehe, I've been there. My first win (after at least a dozen losses) with the Slug B was a no-medbay run, simply because I couldn't find one until sector 7.
wolfboyft

Re: bad sectors. Quit when I saw how impossibly hostile that

Postby wolfboyft » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Well, this is a new computer, first time playing FTL on it.

When I finished sector 1, and saw the choices, the galaxy was so hostile I basically quit :roll:

Nothing interesting at all happened along the way... except, I took all but 1 fuel cell from the shop event in which people needed to sell their remaining supplies to get home! Basically I just stopped their chances and they let me... which isn't interesting either.
zeek

Postby zeek » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Kestrel B it was a fairly easy run, but there was a point where I was getting a little nervous. I was down to 5 hull points left and hadn't been able to find a store for a really long time. I had maxed shields and a defense drone. So, I was fairly well protected, but there's always a chance of a missile getting by. Luckily I had a great boards (3 mantis and a crystal). Along with my weapon layout of 2 heavy ions and whatever else I could power at the time, sometimes it was the basic lasers but later it was a halberd beam, I was fairly good at tearing through enemies. Luckily I found a shop and got patched up. Sadly I couldn't find cloaking until the last store I found in sector 7. That was annoying, but I think I got about the best crew I could ever want. 3 mantis, 1 rock, 1 engi, 2 zoltan, 1 crystal. I probably would have been happy with a second crystal but that's asking a lot.