Normal Win Streak With Every Ship Completed!

General discussion about the game.
5thHorseman

Re: FTL Normal Win Streaks Continue Tonight On Stream!

Postby 5thHorseman » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:12 am

I don't watch much Twitch but I wholly support your cause.

I personally am surprised and shocked on those occasions where I lose.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Ghaleon

Postby Ghaleon » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:45 pm

The only two ships i felt like you need luck to win are man b and stealth a though.

I mean seriously, what do you do with manb if you bump into like 10 unmanned ships in the first 2 sectors?
And fir the stealth a. Ever bump into a ship with two beam drones? Yeahhhh.
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:34 pm

Ghaleon wrote:The only two ships i felt like you need luck to win are man b and stealth a though.

Odd picks. The Mantis B has a Boarding Drone - that can trivially take out any Auto-Scout, and it can take out Auto-Assaults if you pick up a Level 2 Teleporter.

The Stealth A is quite reliable, but it means you need to know how to use your Cloaking and Beam to their utmost. The Stealth B is much more fragile, as it requires a lot of things to function well early, and doesn't have the backup escape option from the Level 4 Engines the Stealth A has.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Twinge

Re: Normal Win Streaks Conclude Tonight (the 25th) - 9:30PM

Postby Twinge » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:32 am

We grabbed victories with the Fed. A, Slug A, and Mantis B last night, so we only have 3 ships left. I intend to play all 3 tonight and finish out the streak and would love to see everyone join me =) We purposely left one of the absolute worst ships in the game for the final night, so tension can remain high as we play the dreaded Engi B...

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
5thHorseman

Re: Normal Win Streak With Every Ship Completed!

Postby 5thHorseman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:08 pm

In-con-ceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Well done. I had no doubts. Well, the RNG gods can be fierce but I had very FEW doubts :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
karadoc

Postby karadoc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Congrats on the wins.

I'm watching the Engi B VOD now.

In that video, you talk about how the defence drones aren't quite as effective on big ships because missiles targeting the right side of the ship can hit before the drone's laser can get to the missile from the left side of the ship. It occurs to me that you could avoid that problem by depowering the defence drone when it is close to the right side of the ship - so that it is always in position when you need it. Is that correct?

In my opinion, defence 1 drones are way too effective in general. I reckon they should have a far slower reload time or something like that, so that if a ship fires two missiles even vaguely close to each other then the drone can't shoot them both. Or really any kind of nerf. I reckon one of the main reason missiles aren't very good as a weapons is that defence 1 is too effective at stopping them. (and of course the missile ammo is quite very expensive to buy...)

You mentioned a balance mod a few times during the video. Is that mod something you've released already, or just something you're considering?
zeek

Postby zeek » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:53 pm

Wow I'm working on this type of challenge myself. I have been for a long time now actually. I'm playing them in the order that they come up in the hanger. So, Kestrel A then B, then I believe it's Stealth A then B, etc. I'm on my best run so far right now. Up to the Federation B and unless something catastrophic happens it's looking like a win. Luckily I have Stealth B and Engi B out of the way. They are the usual stumbling blocks. I recall back in the day I was not a fan of Zoltan ships or Rock A. So, still a few potential pitfalls ahead. Still it's a fun reason to play ships other than my favorites.
Twinge

Postby Twinge » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 pm

karadoc wrote:In that video, you talk about how the defence drones aren't quite as effective on big ships because missiles targeting the right side of the ship can hit before the drone's laser can get to the missile from the left side of the ship. It occurs to me that you could avoid that problem by depowering the defence drone when it is close to the right side of the ship - so that it is always in position when you need it. Is that correct?

I believe this helps but isn't foolproof; I haven't tested it much, though.

karadoc wrote:You mentioned a balance mod a few times during the video. Is that mod something you've released already, or just something you're considering?

It exists and is in good shape: http://www.it-is-law.com/ftl-balance/index.php. A few missing things I'd like to add (lower overall scrap gains especially from Engi/Civ sectors for example), but I'm happy with it for now. I might update it again after AE comes out.