plz let us sell our missiles, drone parts, fuel

General discussion about the game.
DarkenDragon

Re: plz let us sell our missiles, drone parts, fuel

Postby DarkenDragon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:23 am

at the very least, let us choose the amount we can sell with those that do wish to buy our goods.
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:00 am

It'd be nice if you could sell them for 1 scrap each, this is severely limiting the amount of benefit you would get from selling them, but you could maybe find yourself padding out your scrap just enough to afford an extra crew or that one system you were just 3 scrap from with the rebels ready to jump into this location on the next move.
beef42

Postby beef42 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:31 am

I completely disagree. A core element in roguelike gameplay is managing randomized resources. In playing the cards you're dealt. Sitting on a pile of 30 missiles? Well, get a missile launcher.
Tzurah

Postby Tzurah » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 am

beef42 wrote:I completely disagree. A core element in roguelike gameplay is managing randomized resources. In playing the cards you're dealt. Sitting on a pile of 30 missiles? Well, get a missile launcher.

But how do you buy that missile launcher if you don't have enough scrap? You can't just say "oh, you have too many missiles? Well, we won't let you sell them but there's nothing to stop you from buying a missile launcher and shooting them off." if by not being able to sell them I can't afford to buy that shiney new missile launcher.
PirateCat

Postby PirateCat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 am

Zuriki wrote:It'd be nice if you could sell them for 1 scrap each, this is severely limiting the amount of benefit you would get from selling them, but you could maybe find yourself padding out your scrap just enough to afford an extra crew or that one system you were just 3 scrap from with the rebels ready to jump into this location on the next move.

This seems a decent compromise. Or trade them amongst each other, like 2 drone parts for one missile or something so that way you can change your ammo for your chosen style of play.
DarkenDragon

Postby DarkenDragon » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 am

yea the problem with people saying to adjust with what you got, its not so easy

the cost in order to switch is very expensive.

if you have tons of missiles, and you need to switch to a missile launcher/bomb well you gotta pay for the weapon slots, pay for the weapon itself, and pay for the power to be able to use it, and thats a lot of scraps to pay for. especially if your already using weapons then your looking at 50-100 scrap per system upgrade. and thats assuming you are given the option to buy or find that missile launcher which is another random thing that just might not happen.

same with drone parts, you gotta buy the drone system, then the drone itself, then the drone system upgrades, then the power to use them. again very expensive and scrap is a very limited resource already
bakedlama

Postby bakedlama » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:33 pm

The New Romance wrote:The devs have stated they don't want missiles, drones and fuel to became de-facto secondary currencies. There are merchants for this sort of trade, and while they are random, I don't think we'll get more than that.

Thanks for the quick explanation. I'm only on my third run but was starting to wonder what to do with all my missiles since I don't have a missile launcher. I had the bright idea that I could sell them for scrap and was disappointed when I got to the next store. I guess I'll look for a weapon that can make use of them instead.

I actually agree with the decision to limit sales to weapons, drones, and augments. Those are all things you have limited space for, and I appreciate having a universal currency... Demon's Souls showed me what a great design decision that is. No matter what you're buying, you could be buying something else with that scrap.

As far as lore / continuity issues go, it's relatively easy to wave away the idea that all vendors would want to buy and sell missiles and drone parts. Missiles are dangerous and re-selling them probably goes against Federation regulations. Same goes for drone parts, it's never good to re-sell untrusted software in an age of rogue AIs. As for fuel... well, when's the last time you went to a gas station to sell your car's gas back to them? So these things end up on the black market as random vendor encounters.
ftl_raptor

Postby ftl_raptor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 pm

I don't like being stocked with too many missiles or drones when I don't use 'm but I think being able to sell them off would make the game far too easy as you'd get excess scrap .. On the other hand, it might be darn handy when you haven't been able to find any scrap or just keep losing fights.

Perhaps exchange one for the other where the ratio is always unfavourable for the product being exchanged? Say if you want fuel, it'll cost you 3 missiles or 3 drones but you won't be able to convert said fuel back until the next store.