Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
5thHorseman

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 pm

MrLinux wrote:When playing version 1.5.1, going through the Zoltan ship unlock quest...
Then I finish it.
Nothing happens. :?

Did you get a shield or a zoltan named Envoy? Or did you fight the other ship?
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Two Viruses board a spaceship ...

It still gets blown up in Sector 5 (on volley after pic).

I needed Hacking to get through Shields, but it got hit - and set on fire. And the batteries powering it got hit, too - and again, when Virus1 went to repair it. Fuck you, FTL.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 pm

The Captain wrote:Two Viruses board a spaceship ...

It still gets blown up in Sector 5 (on volley after pic).

I needed Hacking to get through Shields, but it got hit - and set on fire. And the batteries powering it got hit, too - and again, when Virus1 went to repair it. Fuck you, FTL.

While Virus is cool to have on your ship, they're not exactly a game-changer. Not even two of them. Sounds like you had a run of bad luck there.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:04 am

Yeah, Virus ain't no KazaaakplethKilik.

It was the unStealth C on Hard, and I felt I was a little bit behind. I did another run right after, no Viruses, got blown up again.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:28 am

The Captain wrote:Yeah, Virus ain't no KazaaakplethKilik.

By the time I get him, normally I've already got the Dream Mantis Team :D
Nyinyo

Postby Nyinyo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:44 am

So I unlock crystal cruiser type B, the Bravais. Constantly praised as being OP, I had a little test run with it. First jump, ASB Volley coming for my face. I lose a crystal while fighting off the pirate stationed there, and lose another trying to repair my engines and get my sorry ass out of there. Next jump, intruders? Ok, just vent the ship out. Wait, why are they just walking through my doors? Oh yeah, level one doors don't do shit to block them. Die in the first sector. Fuck you, FTL. Fuck You, ABS. Fuck you, Boarders.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:44 am

Nyinyo wrote:So I unlock crystal cruiser type B, the Bravais. Constantly praised as being OP, I had a little test run with it. First jump, ASB Volley coming for my face. I lose a crystal while fighting off the pirate stationed there, and lose another trying to repair my engines and get my sorry ass out of there. Next jump, intruders? Ok, just vent the ship out. Wait, why are they just walking through my doors? Oh yeah, level one doors don't do shit to block them. Die in the first sector. Fuck you, FTL. Fuck You, ABS. Fuck you, Boarders.

The Bravais isn't the OP ship. In fact, I think the Bravais just sucks as a ship. It's the Carnelian that's praised for being the most OP ship in the game.

By the way, Crystals can do Lockdowns, so if the enemy goes through your doors, lock them down outside of the room where your Crystal is. They'll not get through until the lockdown is over (and hopefully they'll be half-dead from the lack of air)
Dirka

Postby Dirka » Wed May 13, 2015 4:00 pm

Fight in a pulsar sector against enemy who uses ion weapons: easy win, but the shields keep getting zapped. Finally I jump with the Ion countdown on the last quarter - how bad can it be? After all, I should be able to recharge shields before the next enemy gets off their first shot.

Next encounter: Asteroid field. Enemy has a flame drone.

:o
Diet Water

Postby Diet Water » Wed May 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Quick tip so that doesn't happen again: If you turn off a system, it won't get ironed by the pulsar. So you can just cut power to your shields and weapons and wait until the pulsar hits 2 unimportant systems before turning your shields and weapons back on, since the shields will easily generate before the next pulse.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Diet Water wrote:Quick tip so that doesn't happen again: If you turn off a system, it won't get ironed by the pulsar. So you can just cut power to your shields and weapons and wait until the pulsar hits 2 unimportant systems before turning your shields and weapons back on, since the shields will easily generate before the next pulse.

The Pulsar hits two random systems. It doesn't matter if they're powered or not.

Or at least I think I've tried that strategy before (Although it wasn't an important system like Shields or Weapons) and when the Pulsar hit, and I needed that system online, I couldn't power it back up until the ion had cleared.

Powering down shields just means the pulsar has a chance to hit something else rather than just 1 random system and your shields.