Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
FeMaiden

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby FeMaiden » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 am

Nukeknockout wrote:On the day of the Advanced Edition coming out, I got a victory! Rock Type B with 5300 points. One of my strongest runs ever, concluding in a focus on firebomb boarding.

First run with advanced edition with the Slug A it gave me? Encountered a Rebel Rigger. Rigger took down my shields with an Ion weapon then pummeled the generator with a laser and released an odd-looking drone. What did the drone turn out to be? A fire beam drone, duh! ...I'll actually admit I let the drone burn me alive just to watch that glory in action. Although it would have been incredibly difficult to recover from that, if it is even possible.

Every run I've tried with the Lanius cruiser, however, has been cursed! I play on Normal, and every single ship in the first four sectors of my last run spawned with a Hermes, Breach, or Pegasus missile mounted in tandem with a Flak I or Flak II. Only two of those runs got past the second sector. It got to the point where an Auto-Scout armed with two Breach Bombs and a BL2 was a relief.

"Oh look, two Breach Bombs and a BL2! I only need to dodge all those weapons long enough to spin up my laser and keep it targeted on the enemy weapons no matter what and hit every shot! This is so much better than dodging Breach Missiles!" And so it was better. The next ship, with two Breach Missiles, ended that Lanius A run.

are you playing on hard?! i've never encountered breach missiles in the first 2 sectors on normal mode, its always bee artemis or leto for me. but i know the feeling of getting an enemy way too strong way too early before i've had ample time to upgrade and people like twinge claim it should never happen if i just play properly, but i've encountered ships with 3 shields in sector 3, ships with 2 combat drones and ion weapons in sector 1. ships with 4 heavy lasers in sector 2,on normal mode... and then we have guys complaining that hard mode is too easy...
Nukeknockout

Postby Nukeknockout » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:56 pm

FeMaiden wrote:
Nukeknockout wrote:On the day of the Advanced Edition coming out, I got a victory! Rock Type B with 5300 points. One of my strongest runs ever, concluding in a focus on firebomb boarding.

First run with advanced edition with the Slug A it gave me? Encountered a Rebel Rigger. Rigger took down my shields with an Ion weapon then pummeled the generator with a laser and released an odd-looking drone. What did the drone turn out to be? A fire beam drone, duh! ...I'll actually admit I let the drone burn me alive just to watch that glory in action. Although it would have been incredibly difficult to recover from that, if it is even possible.

Every run I've tried with the Lanius cruiser, however, has been cursed! I play on Normal, and every single ship in the first four sectors of my last run spawned with a Hermes, Breach, or Pegasus missile mounted in tandem with a Flak I or Flak II. Only two of those runs got past the second sector. It got to the point where an Auto-Scout armed with two Breach Bombs and a BL2 was a relief.

"Oh look, two Breach Bombs and a BL2! I only need to dodge all those weapons long enough to spin up my laser and keep it targeted on the enemy weapons no matter what and hit every shot! This is so much better than dodging Breach Missiles!" And so it was better. The next ship, with two Breach Missiles, ended that Lanius A run.

are you playing on hard?! i've never encountered breach missiles in the first 2 sectors on normal mode, its always bee artemis or leto for me. but i know the feeling of getting an enemy way too strong way too early before i've had ample time to upgrade and people like twinge claim it should never happen if i just play properly, but i've encountered ships with 3 shields in sector 3, ships with 2 combat drones and ion weapons in sector 1. ships with 4 heavy lasers in sector 2,on normal mode... and then we have guys complaining that hard mode is too easy...

Like I said, I'm playing on Normal. The breaches might have been coming from Sector 3 on, but there were definitely 3-damage missiles in Sector 1 that Lanius run and at least one 4-damage missile (But that could have been a Hull Missile and not a Breach). I know I took multiple Breach missiles to the Engines on that run, however.

I will say, however, that it was exhilarating to scrape through multiple engagements through clever use of hacking! Did you know that hacking weapon systems doesn't help much if you only have level 1 Hacking? It's better to hack their pilot (Reducing their evade by 5% because hacked stations cannot be manned) and activate the hack so your Ion Stunner definitely takes out the shield and your two-shot laser definitely pummels their weapons bay? Or when fighting a cloaked ship, a level 1 Hack recharges about as fast as a cloak does, thus allowing you to force the ship out of cloak permanently regardless of their shields or evade? Or that hacking eliminates the need to buy a teleporter for other than Blue Events, as a level 3 Hack + Breach Bomb can suffocate an entire ship with ease? Or when boarding, Hacking the medbay with a level 3 Hack eliminates the need to destroy it if its only level 1? Or that hacking the pilot or engines interrupts FTL charging? That Hacking shields is usually (but not always) a waste of an awesomely versatile ability? And so forth. Definitely picking up a Hacking module for my next ship.

In defense of Twinge's argument (Which I am familiar with), I can pinpoint the moment I lost that run for sure. Near the end of Sector 2, I found a store selling Drone Control with a Defense Drone. I didn't get it because I wanted to see what Lanius boarders looked like. I should have followed my pre-AE instincts (Defense Drone = MANDATORY) and deployed the drone.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:37 pm

Nukeknockout wrote:...Did you know that hacking weapon systems doesn't help much if you only have level 1 Hacking? It's better to hack their pilot (Reducing their evade by 5% because hacked stations cannot be manned) and activate the hack so your Ion Stunner definitely takes out the shield and your two-shot laser definitely pummels their weapons bay? Or when fighting a cloaked ship, a level 1 Hack recharges about as fast as a cloak does, thus allowing you to force the ship out of cloak permanently regardless of their shields or evade? Or that hacking eliminates the need to buy a teleporter for other than Blue Events, as a level 3 Hack + Breach Bomb can suffocate an entire ship with ease? Or when boarding, Hacking the medbay with a level 3 Hack eliminates the need to destroy it if its only level 1? Or that hacking the pilot or engines interrupts FTL charging? That Hacking shields is usually (but not always) a waste of an awesomely versatile ability? And so forth. Definitely picking up a Hacking module for my next ship....

Slight disagreement: if L1 Hacking weapons means you can get off the first volley and damage their weapons enough so that they can't damage you, it's worth it. Also if hacking shields means you now have a chance of damaging their ship, it's worth it.
Nukeknockout

Postby Nukeknockout » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:23 pm

The Captain wrote:Slight disagreement: if L1 Hacking weapons means you can get off the first volley and damage their weapons enough so that they can't damage you, it's worth it. Also if hacking shields means you now have a chance of damaging their ship, it's worth it.

I acknowledge the point you are attempting to make, but I usually find killing the enemy's dodge chance makes disabling their weapons more certain than temporarily draining their shields (Exception if shields are stronger than current weapon loadout) although some exceedingly unpleasant weapons like Breach Missiles and Vulcan Lasers REALLY need a hack delay. It's all very situational, but when I'm not sure I go for the pilot.

Also, today I lost an awesome Mantis B run to the Crystal Stasis Pod event. I was a fool for rolling the dice and heading into the asteroid field anyway at low HP without Rock Plating, but FYFTL for fucking me while I was picking up the soap.
r543

Postby r543 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Tweevle wrote:So I was doing a run with the Lanius cruiser. I was going for the oxygen achievement, so I vented most of the ship and left my human in the piloting. Relatively early on I got a crew teleporter (Lanius are brutal boarders), Reconstructive Teleport (they always go in at full health), DNA bank (virtually no possibility of them dying), Mind Control system (icing on the cake) and finally a Zoltan Shield Bypass (no super shield protection for you). Then an Abandoned Sector came up and I got two more Lanius, and replaced my pilot with a couple of Engis. All there was to do now was to upgrade my shields and engines, and I was set.

Then came this one Auto-Assault. All was going fine, I sent my Lanius crew over to break the systems so I could avoid any damage and more easily get my laser through the shields. I was still using starter weapons - with a set up like this, who needs more? Then I realised I'd forgotten to turn the oxygen on since the last fight, and my engi pilots died before I could fill the room again. No problem, I thought, I'll just clone them again later, but for now I need the power - I had the DNA bank after all.

Then I noticed the ship had auto-repaired itself while my Lanius were in the drone room and the weapons were back on, and a single missile managed to get off before I could break the system again. It hit the clone bay, which I thought was pretty funny, but not a problem - I'll just repair it afterwards. While this was happening my weapons were on auto-fire, since I thought I wasn't too concerned about them dying what with my clone bay and all. Then my laser hit the ship one last time, and it blew up, with all my Lanius in it.

So, I'm left with an empty, undamaged ship, except for one broken clone bay, with six people ready to be revived as soon as it's repaired. Only there's no one there to repair it. I hate myself.

Repair Drones ! They aren't useless.
Holoyuri

Postby Holoyuri » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Second Sector.

Three Sheild Random Encounter.

'Nuff Said
Holoyuri

Postby Holoyuri » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:51 pm

Second Sector.

Three Sheild Random Encounter.

'Nuff Said
Nukeknockout

Postby Nukeknockout » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:09 am

This situation. If I make the jump, that's five out of thirty Nebulae towards a Slug achievement. If I make the jump, I might get a beacon's worth of scrap. But if I make the jump...

I guess the ultimate question is: Do I fear the Rebel Fleet?
Levgre

Postby Levgre » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:26 am

About 2 seconds after my mastery in all skills Zoltan Envoy died fighting boarders, a 3 damage missile hits my level 3 clone bay... poof Envoy gone.
Alblaka

Postby Alblaka » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Sector 5. Shield 3, Defense Drone Mark II. Add in a Burst II and a Burst III laser.
Hell yeah, unstoppable destruction.

Oh look, I found a rebel shipyard. Investigate? Hell yeah, it's probably a mission to unlock the Artillery Cruiser.
SUDDENLY BOSSFIGHT SHIP ROCKETLAUNCHER INSTASHOTTING YOUR DRONEBAY TO THE FACE.
Greetz,
Alblaka