Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
DrZomboss

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby DrZomboss » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:02 am

So I was trying to get the crystal cruiser and I got the crystal man. I was quite happy then and I had a choice of going to abandoned sector or a green (I forgot what it was ) sector. Then, I went to the abandoned sector and guess what was the next sector?
Rock Controlled Sector
This was my millionth time trying to get the cruiser and I cursed the game for doing this to me.
Screw you FTL!
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:31 am

Mantis C, third jump. It's near a pulsar. I should have tried to run - or tried to - but it's only the third jump, right? So I board.

Bloody pirate scout has a Mantis, who beats up on my Lanius. I switch positions, but a Human comes in to finish it off. Well, that's what the Clone Bay is for, right?

The pirate also has a Burst Laser Mk II. And, as if that weren't enough, a Small Bomb.

*tk tk tk tk BOOM* My Clone Bay gets taken out. Send the Engi to go fix, but one can't fix fast enough - Lanius is not recloned. Engi stays in to fix fully, as Mantis is getting 2v1'd. Then it's off to fix the engines.

Mantis gets killed, in the Clone Bay when another bomb takes it out. Fuck you, FTL.

Engi manages to get things fixed enough to jump away. But the next ship blows it up, as the Shields are down, and there's no evasion when the Engi has to go fix things.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 pm

Stealth B: I Hate You, Sector 1

Made jumps to avoid the two ships & hazards. But good thing I checked jump paths before going too far east - that jump from the ion storm is the only way north to the exit, which is really far west, without a lot of beacons around it. If that empty beacon to the northeast connected to the ion storm (don't remember), that's only 9 jumps to the exit. Fuck you, FTL.

Edit: On my laptop I've played only Hard Mode. Unlocked the Crystal cruiser by winning games, not by quest. On a recent Rock C run, I finally got to the Rock Homeworlds, but with hull in the red. 6 jumps to the quest marker. I get to the penultimate jump with only 3 HP. Enemy has a missile and a flak and other stuff, and I have no Cloak, no Drone Control, so I get blown up. One jump away! Fuck you, FTL!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:14 am

The Captain wrote:That jump from the ion storm is the only way north to the exit, which is really far west, without a lot of beacons around it.

That reminds me of something I never posted here. I was going for the Tactical Approach achievement and the exit from sector SEVEN had one possible approach: A beacon with an environmental danger.

Not that that achievement's all that hard to get, but COME ON.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:32 am

Location, Location, Location

Badly in need of repairs, I jumped to the store, only to find out it's a trap!

I don't think I made it out of the sector. Fuck you, FTL.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:42 am

The Captain wrote:Badly in need of repairs, I jumped to the store, only to find out it's a trap!

Haha they gave you those lines for a reason, Captain!
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:54 am

Yes, to show you afterwards that hasty decisions cause mission failure. :oops:
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:47 am

The Captain wrote:Yes, to show you afterwards that hasty decisions cause mission failure. :oops:

I know nothing about that. :D
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 am

The Pincer - Tale of a Mantis B, or "Repairs R Us"

First jump, some energy ship, with a Zoltan Shield (!), Burst Laser Mk I and a bomb. Fuck you, FTL. I can't board, and their laser can't hurt me - except for that frackin' bomb. At first I thought it was a Fire Bomb, as it set a fire in the empty room next to my doors. (Ack! Open the airlocks!) But it was only a Small Bomb. Still, this being Hard Mode, eventually my Shields got bombed down to L2 - and the Burst Laser went to work. A very tense time, as one Mantis tried to repair two bars of Shields, oh ... so ... slowwwwly.

And of course, this being Hard, the laser hit Shields, damaging the Mantis and undoing its repairs, and then the bomb hit, hurting the Mantis more and leaving me with no Shields. Zoiks!! Sent in the other Mantis, laser be damned, for double the repair speed (which, of course, is equal to 1 Human - ugh!)

I just had to hope that the laser wouldn't do too much damage - and not set fires - while my Mantis crew tried to claw the Shields back to life. I figured the enemy would eventually run out of bombs, so I could fix things and GTFO. Tktktktk - BOOM! And also that the first Mantis on repairs wouldn't get killed, because that would be DOOM. Meanwhile, Sensors got lasered, as did the Medbay, Drones and O2 - the latter potentially quite bad.

Oh, speaking of fires, the fire had spread into Doors, so I vented that room, too. Fortunately, it went out before taking out Doors, because that would make things really bad.

I finally got Shields repaired, and they were out of bombs, so I could fix things at my leisure. I got the Medbay repaired, healed up, and went to fix O2. Fortunately, while air was running out, Doors had been spared, and the doors to O2 were fine. Once fixed, back to the Medbay to heal, then fix everything else.

I don't remember how much hull damage I had taken - seemed like at least 10, but maybe less? I sure felt like I had taken more of a beating. The mission started to go better, albeit slowly, as boarding drone vs autoship is even slower than watching Mantises repair. Eventually I upgraded the TP, so the Mantises could help. I killed some slavers and took an Engi to mind the ship while the boarders were away.

Second sector, Rock Controlled. And early on, I encountered a stray mine. No! Wait! I meant blue! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! And the Engi was gone. Fuck you, FTL.

I made it through the sector and went to Mantis Homeworlds next, because I was going to get KazaaakplethKilik.

Or not.

Almost done with the sector, no KazaaakplethKilik. But one Mantis has achieved 1* Repairs.

And the other is a couple points away.

I did not find KazaaakplethKilik, even taking a chance on an extra beacon past the exit. Fuck you, FTL.

But, Holy Crap! (link)
MrLinux

Postby MrLinux » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:28 pm

When playing version 1.5.1, going through the Zoltan ship unlock quest...
Then I finish it.
Nothing happens. :?