Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
Ozei

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby Ozei » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:00 pm

First, no ship-unlock events. EVER. Stealth and zoltan took forever, still trying to unlock more...

Second, Stealth B. First jump in first sector and SURPRISE - zoltan shield! Nearly died. Then, beam drone. Still hanging on - barely. Finally, jump into the third sector and have only one beacon to go - asteroid field! Hurr durr flipthetable.

Random number generator really rapes me sometimes.

Then I get these stupidly OP runs, farm rebels and wipe floor with the flagship - but no unlock events...
My fleet so far:
Kestrel A, Kestrel B, Engi A, Engi B, Rock A, Rock B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Fed A, Fed B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Mantis A, Mantis B, Slug A, Slug B, Crystal A, Crystal B
Green is victory, on normal
Smauler

Postby Smauler » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Unlucky Scarecrow wrote:I spent all day unlocking Layout B for the Rock Cruiser, only to find out it completely sucks (IMO).

Playing with this ship (Either layout) must be for masochists.

Rock B becomes full awesome when you get a crew teleporter. Rock men don't suffer fire damage, and enemy crew will fight you in a burning room. You can walk a lot of the game by just firebombing and teleporting.
spinelesscoward

Postby spinelesscoward » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:42 pm

Zoltan ships with one or several attack drones.
ESPECIALLY when flying the stealth cruiser.
Nimbostratus

Postby Nimbostratus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:43 am

>start a new game with Stealth ship
>first enemy is armed with beams

He couldn't have done much if I'd had shields. But because I didn't yet, I got sliced and diced.
FTL is such a troll sometimes.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:01 pm

It sometimes doesn't matter if you have shields, because you probably start with only one layer, which can be knocked down temporarily, and then the ninja beam drone cuts you to shreds.
mr silencer

Postby mr silencer » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:48 am

once i got 5 suns in a row. another time i just started a new game and i jump once and i hit a sun, and waiting there is a ship with 2 rockets :cry: I didnt survive either which is pathetic but 5 freaking suns, sometimes i think certain sectors are ship tanning beds FML
Last edited by mr silencer on Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Signature loading...
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:21 am

/start game Oh, there's a store ... and another store. FUFTL

A few sectors later, more early stores.

I forgot to take a screenshot where I had an encounter that turned into a third store right near those two. At least I had a little scrap for repairs.
SgtFrog

Postby SgtFrog » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:40 am

First time piloting Engi Ship A had some VERY close calls.

I think "Sweet, enemy drones kicked my ass last time, so now it's my turn!" It's going along pretty well (stunlock enemy shields and weapons with Ion-spam, let the drone do the dirty work), until some boarders attack my ship. No problem, I just attack them best I can and defeat them. Only problem is, the ship continues to attack, setting fire to several rooms. I power up my Sys-Repair drone and let it do its thing. The fire spreads, killing two of my five Engi, who were weakened by the boarders. Crap. I eventually herd the survivors into the pilot-room and just flush the airlocks, which thankfully kills the fire. Okay, crisis averted.

A sector or so later, I have a dry spell with no stores in sight. I run out of fuel and am stranded. *headdesk* I don't have time to freaking Wait For Help! Luckily, a passing traveler takes pity on me and gives me 6 Fuel. I am literally on the edge of Rebel Territory, so I got the hell out of Dodge.

I'm about halfway through Sector 6 and am feeling pretty confident. This is the farthest I've ever gotten (since I just bought this game for 50% off the other day on the Steam Summer Sale), so it feels good. I got a Sys-Repair Drone, Anti-Ship Drone AND an Anti-Personnel Drone, plus a Repair Arm Augment. and the Engi Nano-heal Augment you get at the start. I also have Breach missiles, Heal-bombs, and an upgraded Ion. Feeling pretty good, WHEN SUDDENLY MORE BOARDERS! FOUR OF THEM! VERSUS MY THREE ENGI! FUUUUUUU-! Anti-Personnel Drone kills two, my Engi gang up on another one. Okay, that wasn't too bad. And then the enemy Fire Beams my doors and oxygen. Okay, Engi are all about repair, no biggie. Another Engi valiantly sacrifices himself to put out the door fires, but an unnoticed hull breach (Sensors got missiled in the chaos) causes them all to die of asphyxiation.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:56 am

SgtFrog wrote:First time piloting Engi Ship A had some VERY close calls.

*snip*

'round here, we call that Thursday.

Welcome to the forums! :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
marsmission

Postby marsmission » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 am

Once, I got to the final stage at about 7 hp bars. There was only one repair station and it got taken over in like 2 jumps (was 4 jumps away). As soon as I saw that I knew I wasn't going to make it. The thing that made me so mad though was i literally got to the third stage of the boss and got it down to around half health until it finally killed me. If fucking FTL didn't screwed me over I could have finally beat the game. Another time happened when I was playing the stealth ship, and the very first enemy i encountered was a god damn rebel rigger with laser drones and lasers. I couldn't even avoid that encounter because it was the only path I could take at the very start.