Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
greetingsfromoslo

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:39 pm

hermanJnr. wrote:Felt so robbed. I moused-over all the system jumps, but somehow I still got epically screwed by the really unorthodox way a few were linked together, the 3-4 encounters I had in that system not yielding any fuel was just icing on the cake :\

Two comments:

1. Big guns are not a guarantee for fuel since you destroy the fuel tank with the ship. Teleport will in a lot of cases let you empty the enemy ships fuel tanks, worth 5-6 fuel. With the teleport aboad I never have fuel shortage and need to buy it, and by the time of The Last Stand I have an excess of 30-40 fuel.

2. Turn on beacon paths to avoid dead ends.

To me it seems you had done both these things, which means, you were really, really FYFTL'd. Still rouge when you're rollin'!
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:42 pm

most of my FYFTL moments lately were the game crashing ALL THE BLOODY TIME during mod development... but, you work through it and fix it in the end :D
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
ThePieman

Postby ThePieman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:42 am

With the crystal ship I got REALLY lucky. I unlocked the Rock Cruiser the game before, decided to use it. Got the pod, next sector-Zoltan Controlled. Found a station, presto, Crystal crewmember. Next sector-Rock Homeworlds. At this point, I'm saying to myself: "I GOT THIS!" I find the portal, fight my way through, and acquire the crystal ship, along with some fancy crystal weapons for my Rock ship. All in all, a good run.
However, after that one, I was using the Fed Cruiser, and at the final Flagship stage, got blown up just before my Artillery Beam fired. Guess we can't get lucky every time.
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:31 pm

ThePieman wrote:With the crystal ship I got REALLY lucky.(...)at the final Flagship stage, got blown up just before my Artillery Beam fired. Guess we can't get lucky every time.

TYFTL is the exception; FYFTL is the golden rule.

I've yet to unlock the Crystal cruiser, after 30 or so trials. The most difficult part is actually to find the Rock Homeworlds, a fact that has prompted me become the savescum of the universe. Despite this the task seem more impossible than ever. The golden rule stays golden, even when you try to cheat it!
Law

Postby Law » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 am

When you're playing on easy mode with the best ship you've got, upgraded everything to maximum...

and you still die to the Rebel Flagship.

DryEagle wrote:most of my FYFTL moments lately were the game crashing ALL THE BLOODY TIME during mod development... but, you work through it and fix it in the end :D

Mod development on OS X is a hazardous exercise. That's how I managed to brick the RAM on my computer. Thankfully, all I needed to do was reseat it, but I'm never doing mod development on OS X ever again. Another moment when I rage at my computer, rather than FTL itself.
Forum mods, for your convenience!
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:35 pm

Law wrote:When you're playing on easy mode with the best ship you've got, upgraded everything to maximum...

and you still die to the Rebel Flagship.

Which phase? I suspect you hit jackpot in the missile lottery.
Last edited by greetingsfromoslo on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
heatseeker747

Postby heatseeker747 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm

I was trying to unlock the kestral cruiser layout 2, trying to get tough little ship.
then, as i was at 1 health, iwas doomed by an asteroid. :evil:
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm

heatseeker747 wrote:I was trying to unlock the kestral cruiser layout 2, trying to get tough little ship.
then, as i was at 1 health, iwas doomed by an asteroid. :evil:

Did you drive into an asteroid field with only a single hull point left or did you try to get your hull down to one point by farming damage while in the asteroid field?
BKT

Postby BKT » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 pm

Not exactly an FUFTL moments, but...

Last time I sent a mantis out an airlock. Now I sent yet another mantis out into space— apparently through a boarding drone launch bay! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFv2URAFW0

And gosh, I love my boarding drone— especially when I got it for free! :mrgreen:
Graega

Postby Graega » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:15 pm

My latest FYFTL moment was when I started a game on Normal as the Crystal B cruiser and...

Beacon 1: Auto Scout
Beacon 2: Auto Assault
Beacon 3: Auto Scout
Beacon 4: Nothing
Beacon 5: Zoltan ship?!
Beacon 6: Giant Spiders

I was literally 2/3 of the way across the sector with not a single piece of scrap, and realized that I would never leave Sector 1 with 2 shield bars. A couple more jumps and I decided to just scrub that game altogether.

My favorite FYFTL moment, though, is getting a boarding event with 4 Mantis and fighting a Mantis ship that has a teleporter itself... before I've had a chance to upgrade the door systems. You can herd 3 into the med bay, but if you have more than 3 crew? Can't stop the Mantis from entering whatever room you've kept O2 in for them...

Oh. And another FYFTL moment I have is when you get 2-rocket launcher equipped ships in S2 or 3, without even having a drone control yet. Or that time I cloaked with 98% evasion and a missile hit my shields, followed almost immediately by a salvo of lasers and a beam that completely crippled the shields and engines after the cloak ended.