Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
UltraMantis

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 pm

It's a nigh-on impossible achievement. On a rarity scale of 1 to 10 it easily scores an FYFTL. :mrgreen:

22 is nothing BTW, there's people with over 100 that didn't get the ship.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
atavisticnarrativist

Postby atavisticnarrativist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Here's one of my signature FYFTL moments. Oh, and it's not the fact that I've yet to defeat the flagship. Hell, in over 100 attempts, I've only gotten to the flagship three times, and only defeated Stage 1 twice.

You know how impossibly difficult it is to get the Crystal ship - i.e., searching for four needles in four haystacks, as another poster said. Well, on one playthrough, I had incredible luck.

Sector 2 - I get the pod.
Sector 3 - I get the pod unlocked. Hello Crystal crewmember!
Sector 4 - Rock Homeworlds. My ship is cherry, and has no damage taken. I've got six crew members, loads of scrap, plenty of ammo, upgraded shields. Everything seems to be going my way.

I enter a nebula, only to get an angry message from a Rock Hunter floating by. They find me repugnant. Repugnant? Well, I'll teach them some manners - I've got souped-up crew, around 40% dodge, various powerful weapons, etc.

In seconds, after having provoked a fight that I could have avoided, I'm hit in all the wrong spots with multiple fires. Oxygen is out, with a breach. But wait, crystal crewmembers are resistant to suffocation. I send the crystal boy over to fix the oxygen system.

Crystal resistance to suffocation is not the same thing as immunity to suffocation. A combination of damage from missile hits, vacuum, and sundry means that while I'm paying attention to something else, my crystal crewmember dies because of my hubris and stupidity.

On the very next jump, I find the portal to the crystal homeworlds, but without a crystal crewmember, I am not given the option to access the gate.

Needless to say, in over 50 games since that disastrous showing, I have yet to get another crystal crewmember, much less any of the other prerequisites to the crystal ship quest.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:53 am

atavisticnarrativist wrote:..., my crystal crewmember dies because of my hubris and stupidity.

On the very next jump, I find the portal to the crystal homeworlds.

You win. That's the most horrible story associated with this game I've ever heard.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:07 am

Agreed. I had my regrets and fights i should not have picked, but you take the cake. That's just awfull... :( i wouldn't wish that on a Slug... well maybe a Slug.
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:38 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Agreed. I had my regrets and fights i should not have picked, but you take the cake. That's just awfull... :( i wouldn't wish that on a Slug... well maybe a Slug.

Human ssssscum! No more oxsssssygen for you!!! :twisted:
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:22 am

Don't worry, i still hate Zoltan more. :D

and who are you calling hunam?
ClockworkLoyalty

Postby ClockworkLoyalty » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:09 am

-Achieve 2/3 flags for Crystal ship,2 beacons away from the FTL jump beacon when I get an enemy that that takes me shield out and ultimately, the entire ship
-I see the owner of the Mantis cruiser, no teleporter
-I realize that I gave the wrong answers 2 times in one quest only to realize a few beacons later that giving the right answer would've gotten me the zoltan cruiser
-1st time facing Rebel Flagship, I lose because I didn't know my main objective was to hunt him down
-2nd time facing Rebel Flagship, I win against his first form with breach missile and 3 basic lasers, I ultimately lose against his 2nd form because of that SINGLE defense probe, with 4 shields and no way of penetrating it, I was done
-I find the engi gathering in the engi homeworld, and I don't have an engi with me

^But on the same playthrough, I finally achieve one of the most satisfying victories in single player ever, and I never played FTL on easy:
http://i.imgur.com/SQ0awfd.jpg
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:44 am

Nice! You glaived the boss. I bet those lasers missed a lot. :D The flagship has insane evasion. But the glaive can beat through 2 shields, and never misses so that's one huge bonus.

Nice and satisfying!
greetingsfromoslo

Postby greetingsfromoslo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:29 am

UltraMantis wrote:Don't worry, i still hate Zoltan more. :D

and who are you calling hunam?

I thought we were ssssseting up a trap for unsssssussssspecting zsssssoltan passsssersssssby. ;)

ClockworkLoyalty wrote:^But on the same playthrough, I finally achieve one of the most satisfying victories in single player ever, and I never played FTL on easy:
http://i.imgur.com/SQ0awfd.jpg

What an insssssane TYFTL moment! Sssssadly it'sssss the exsssscsssseption to the rule: ssssslugssssss alwaysssss win! :P
Zaarock

Postby Zaarock » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:57 pm

Was having a run with kestrel on easy (to unlock some of the achievements for Kestrel B), nice and overpowered but somehow Flagship 2 launched boarding drones to my engine AND cockpit. no way to recover from that before the power surge drone rush and suddenly everything is starting to burn (even had 4 shields and 1 defend 2 drone). Guess I'll know to take out the drone section first next time lol