Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

General discussion about the game.
gitsnshiggles

Re: Your "Fuck you, FTL" Moments

Postby gitsnshiggles » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Playing Engi A, got the crystal crewmember. Decided to put him in the shield room and used his lockdown ability...

...right before four enemy crew teleported in and massacred him.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:39 pm

AtraUnam wrote:The drones and the mothership proceed to land every single shot ripping my ship apart in seconds, so much for 98% evasion.

That doesn't sound right. Nothing should be charging or firing during the cloak. Unless you cloaked during the missile barrage and one of them hit your cloak due to extremely bad luck, revealing your ship before the 5 seconds are up and thus getting torn apart by the drones, also due to bad RNG.
AtraUnam

Postby AtraUnam » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:14 pm

stylesrj wrote:
AtraUnam wrote:The drones and the mothership proceed to land every single shot ripping my ship apart in seconds, so much for 98% evasion.

That doesn't sound right. Nothing should be charging or firing during the cloak. Unless you cloaked during the missile barrage and one of them hit your cloak due to extremely bad luck, revealing your ship before the 5 seconds are up and thus getting torn apart by the drones, also due to bad RNG.

Nah the cloak was fine, I like to cloak once the bullets are already in the air so as to get the most out of it, so I waited until the last second which just so happened to be a near simultanious firing of the motherships weapons and most of the drones (regular and power-surge drones). Needless to say that initial barage caused the death of my cloak hence the subsiquent anihilation by the swarm of angry power-surge drones.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:56 pm

Cloaks are not affected by enemy fire unless it hits the device. If you fired at the same time you cloaked, that's a different story.
MikieRpg

Postby MikieRpg » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Gunnar wrote:I found the crystal stasis chamber.

I looked up what this was for, and it said you have to go to a planet with the Zortek scientists who ussually ask you to do a study.

Well, guess what planet I saw right before finding the stasis chamber?

THE ONE BEACON BEFORE I FOUND THE STASIS CHAMBER WAS THAT PLANET!

NOT FTL, FML!

Well you don't need to be at the zoltan homeworlds, i've found the scientist event in a slug controlled-nebula :lol:
The FU moment is when you actually are lucky enough to find the chamber, get a scientist event to trigger(Random luck)
and then head to the rock homeworlds to find the wormhole, and its not there. (Sometimes i get a quest point, sometimes not XD)
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:44 pm

MikieRpg wrote:and then head to the rock homeworlds to find the wormhole, and its not there. (Sometimes i get a quest point, sometimes not XD)

Did you rename Ruwen to something else? Because to get that quest beacon, you must have a Crystal named Ruwen.
This can be exploited with the Crystal A & B and the Rock C. Or any ship that gives you a Crystal.
Dillonator407

Postby Dillonator407 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:42 am

I just joined this forum, although I have been playing this game for a while.

Note that despite this, I am a terrible player. This story proves that.

After fiddling around a little with mods, I decided to go back to vanilla FTL, and go for a ship unlock. I chose the Mantis A, because I was getting bored of the Kestrel and because apparently the Mantis B is amazing. Even if I couldn't manage to find any kind of ship quests, I could at least unlock that. Oh, how naïve I was, thinking that I could accomplish anything useful this run. I even named the crew, creating new titles for my Mantis based on the one we do know, and giving a Greek letter and some numbers to my Engi.

I began the run on Easy, for reasons which this very story will demonstrate. The DSS (my usual ship prefix) Gila Monster (so creative, I know) took its first flight. With my initial scrap, I bought a teleporter upgrade. There was no telling when I'd run into a pesky auto-scout where my ability to use one weapon at a time would make it hard if not impossible to do any damage. The ship made its first jump. Guess what kind of ship I ran into.

"OK," I think to myself, "No problem. I got the upgrade, lets wreak havoc on this drone". My boarding crew hits the enemy weapons, although I only barely remember to put the teleporter on two power bars. Not a fortuitous sign for the battle to come. The Auto-Hacker has a basic laser and a mini-beam. Paltry for most ships, but deadly for a first jump in a boarding ship. The name of the hostile vessel may also help you figure out what weapon it immediately launched at my shields. The Engi was placed inside that system, to repair it if it got hit. But you can't repair being hacked.

My crew beamed in, took out weapons, and beamed out just in time. Meanwhile, I keep my Small Bomb active in case it gets something nasty online. Medbay- active. Of course, the best place to take power from was the life support. "I'll just turn it back on when battle ends" I thought. I really should know by now how rarely I ever remember to do that before my vessel is four fifths of the way to becoming a lifeless husk.

Anyway, I send the healed Mantis to attack the hacking system. Beam them back, heal them, beam them in to weapons. This time, though, I notice something odd. The ship's floor is turning pink. I immediately realise my stupidity and turn the O2 back on, using my second bar or engine power. But, in the time it took for my crew to heal and for me to get that sorted, the Auto-Hacker has hacked my shields down. I send the crew to take out weapons again, but it's too late. The ship both shots in. The beam hits an empty room, but the laser hits me in the, you guessed it, oxygen. My mantis come back, and are rushed to medbay. Meanwhile, I send my Engi to fix the life support- but he can't. Poor Omega888363whateverhisnamewas is in the shields, and that system has been hacked, meaning he has to blast through the doors to repair anything. My Mantis, meanwhile, feel the effects of asphyxiation. Finally I send the whole lot in to fix the oxygen. The Mantis and Engi get the job done, but the Engi is killed JUST before he can reach medbay.

With only Mantis for repairs, I know this fight will be hard to recover from. Of course, in sending the whole crew to fix the O2, my pilot isn't at the helm. Of course, the Auto-Hacker takes down shields and scores a direct hit on guess what- the oxygen AGAIN. And just as I send my Mantis boarding-turned-repair crew in to fix that, they hit the MEDBAY. So my crew barely get the O2 up, then they can't yet heal. Eventually that gets fixed, but by the time the crew is starting to recover from lack of air, my weapons and piloting are down, and the shields, engines and teleporter are damaged. My only hope, to escape, is dashed. The Auto-Hacker fires mercilessly. My crew fight desperately to get the armament online so I can stop their barrage. But it's too late. By the time even one bar is repaired, my hull is down to two health. I try, struggling, to get the piloting online. I don't.

As I stare into space, watching my vessel, crafted mere minutes ago, burst into explosives flame, split into pieces, I reflect on the battle. A battle, that had I paid attention, could have easily been won. A battle, that at one point, I could even have escaped from. A battle, against a Sector 1 ship on Easy, with barely the ability to burst through a single shield layer, that I lost. This fight, this loss, was my fault. I wasn't launched into a sun after a brutal fight. My final crewman wasn't boarded by 4 Mantis in an event at a seemingly empty beacon. I lost a battle against a pitiful Auto-Hacker on my very first jump.

Those were the thoughts that I wrestled with as a typed in the log of this journey. I keep a simple record of every ship I launch. I used to have a huge one, but it got purged, so I started again. As per tradition, I named this vessel after its original title, adding only my personal prefix, for it was the first of this type now. I inputted the settings and cause of death. Next to the epic tale of me taking a newly unlocked ship to the second phase of the flagship before being destroyed, I stared at this simple yet brutal line.

DSS Gila Monster (Mantis A, Easy, AE, Destroyed by Auto-Hacker in Civilian Sector, Sector 1)

And so, that is the story of the DSS Gila Monster, why I am bad at this game (I enjoy it very much though), and why it is a good idea to know what you're doing before playing a ship you've played about twice before a year ago.
Marade

Postby Marade » Wed May 11, 2016 1:40 pm

I had one of these yesterday.

Sector 2, got the stasis pod
Sector 3, zoltan homeworlds, no research station
Sector 4, engi homeworlds, no research station
Sector 5, engi controlled sector, no research station
Sector 6, rock homeworlds.

FML, FTL.
ZhaloUbercell

Postby ZhaloUbercell » Fri May 13, 2016 12:13 am

CopperKat wrote:Accuracy. I hate it with a passion. You can't even upgrade your accuracy, and assuming you face end-tier ships, their evasion is probably at around 50%. Yeah, that.'s not a load of bull.

Accuracy literally makes me want to throw my laptop against the wall. My missles missed 3x in a row. Yeah that's a crock of crap.

I understand your pain. 2x Breach missiles and a pike beam. Enemy has level 3 shields and a glaive beam. 6 missile volleys and all of them missed. Their beam hits my shields first and proceeds to annihilate my guns and engines. My pike beam fires to no effect. It is then do I realise they have a hull beam.

R.I.P Kestrel B
Death by Missing.
Broken engines, weapons, shields, drones and medbay.
One engi crew member
14 hull breaches.
12 fires.

It could be worse.

My oxygen still works. :)
Aphid

Postby Aphid » Fri May 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Here's one hell of a moment for me that just occurred;

Playing with Captain's Edition, Randtrel, and Endless Loot. I'm trying what I think is the hardest ship of the bunch, a Stealth Cruiser with:

- Cloak 2
- Engine 3
- Weapons 4
- Helm, O2, Medbay, Doors 1
- Scatter Flak (5-shot 2-power large radius, 18s cd)
- Heavy laser Mk. 1
- Long-ranged scanners

Somehow, I find a free crew member and an event that trades that crew member for another Scatter Flak with Incendiary. I enter sector 2 with 9 hp left. At that moment the game decides that no, I'm not getting any further. I get to choose between asteroids, and more asteroids according to my scanners. Somehow make it out with 1 hull point remaining. Then I get a choice between enemy ship, enemy ship, enemy ship, enemy ship, and enemy ship with rebel fleet. So I picked enemy ship. Turns out it's an auto-satellite with a basic laser and some non-important other weapon (Ion something?). Turns out that guy really likes hitting on 10% odds.

That's got to be less than 0,01% chance of that much bad luck in a row. Once is okay, but 3 times in a row? Really game.