Look at the trailer, and when you see the kestrel cruiser...

General discussion about the game.
wolfboyft

Look at the trailer, and when you see the kestrel cruiser...

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:05 pm

What's that in the medbay?

(Medbays weren't replaced: you can see that on the ship being attacked there is a medbay.)

The medbay appears to have a different sign, of 2 people, and the room image looks like... a large bed? A fancy mirror? What do you think?

EDIT: Heh, this is about the advanced edition trailer.
aaaaaa50

Re: Look at the trailer, and when you see the kestrel cruise

Postby aaaaaa50 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:40 pm

You're a little late to the discussion. :P My best guess is that it allows for modifying crew, such as changing names, but we don't really know yet. This thread has a bunch of speculation on everything, but I don't think we discussed the mysterious medbay replacement much. The icon does look like a bathroom though...
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:46 pm

aaaaaa50 wrote:You're a little late to the discussion. :P My best guess is that it allows for modifying crew, such as changing names, but we don't really know yet. This thread has a bunch of speculation on everything, but I don't think we discussed the mysterious medbay replacement much. The icon does look like a bathroom though...

Haha, yes it does. Except they're both men. Also, I really wouldn't like changing crew names in-game.

Sigh... can ya recommend a good modding tutorial, for editing systems? (I want to make the teleporter a boarding shuttle entrance, for me only. And anyone who wants it)

EDIT: Erk! Crap! Mind control systems? Nooo! And the spatial rift zoltan man event? Nooo!
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:10 am

You'll want to look here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14334

You will need to unpack data.dat, open blueprints.xml, copy the teleporter description and details, paste into a new file, save as blueprints.xml.append. With that you can create your own mod which features the renamed teleporter.

Aside renaming text, very little else can be changed about the system. You can repaint the teleporter pad, but that's about it.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:54 am

UltraMantis wrote:You'll want to look here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14334

You will need to unpack data.dat, open blueprints.xml, copy the teleporter description and details, paste into a new file, save as blueprints.xml.append. With that you can create your own mod which features the renamed teleporter.

Aside renaming text, very little else can be changed about the system. You can repaint the teleporter pad, but that's about it.

Well, thank you SO much anyway. What about totally REMOVING a system? (FTL adv mind control)

And here's something to be added: knowledge when a ship was from a mod or not, not having to replace a vanilla ship etc. Cuz now the only mod I'd ever use is that hopeful future 'wolfboyft's ideal' mod. :|
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:37 pm

You keep steering the conversation to what FTL isn't but you'd like it to be. Your suggestions cannot be achieved with modding. It would require coding large parts of the game from scratch and that is no longer modding and involves the code itself which we don't have access to nor would such a hack be legal even if someone had the skills to do it.

You can intentionally break the Teleport system so it would not work on playable or enemy ships, but that would probably break the game, because it was created with functional teleports in mind. Same goes for almost all systems. Only Cloaking and Shields can be broken afaik, and even that drastically changes the game.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
obliviondoll

Postby obliviondoll » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 am

Pretty sure the Advanced Edition features can all be turned off in options.

From the way the news I heard about it was presented, it sounded like the extra content was all modular, so you could turn off JUST the mind control and leave the rest of the additional stuff intact. I could be wrong on that last part, it's a wild leap based on a word choice, not a direct statement from anyone of import.
wolfboyft

Postby wolfboyft » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:12 am

obliviondoll wrote:Pretty sure the Advanced Edition features can all be turned off in options.

From the way the news I heard about it was presented, it sounded like the extra content was all modular, so you could turn off JUST the mind control and leave the rest of the additional stuff intact. I could be wrong on that last part, it's a wild leap based on a word choice, not a direct statement from anyone of import.

:D Take that, mind control!