What is the point of opening all doors?

General discussion about the game.
Gunnar

What is the point of opening all doors?

Postby Gunnar » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:15 am

By the door module icon thingymajig there are two buttons. One when clicked once opens all the inside doors, and clicking it twice opens all outside doors as well. Also a button to close all doors

What is the point of this?

How does opening all inside doors affect anything? The only thing I can think of is it would perhaps make the level of oxygen in all rooms uniform, for a quick way to get into a oxygenless room. Are there any uses besides that?

(AND WHY WOULD YOU EVER CLICK IT TWICE TO OPEN ALL DOORS!?)

PS. I was hoping there would be a race that required no oxygen (like the rock one or the bionic-human hybrid one) sadly no :(
Durus

Re: What is the point of opening all doors?

Postby Durus » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:23 am

Open all doors is useful when you get boarded.
I use it all the time.
So when you get boarded, send your crew to the med bay, power the med bay up (if it's not).
open all doors except the medbay doors. Now the enemy loses health if they're not in the medbay, so they'll go there to fight rather than trashing your ship.
if you have level 2+ doors you might not open all, just a vacuum trail to the intruders so that what ever they do they lose health.
InnocentSam

Postby InnocentSam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:24 am

I open the airlocks, then open all doors and close the ones I don't need. Makes the oxygen deplete sooner, more death :D
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:27 am

InnocentSam wrote:I open the airlocks, then open all doors and close the ones I don't need. Makes the oxygen deplete sooner, more death :D

Do you turn off the O2 system too for even faster depletion?
InnocentSam

Postby InnocentSam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 am

Gorlom wrote:
InnocentSam wrote:I open the airlocks, then open all doors and close the ones I don't need. Makes the oxygen deplete sooner, more death :D

No, otherwise my crew die as well. Opening all doors except 2 or 3 rooms will leave you with about ~15% oxygen, but that's confined to those 3 rooms so it's ok. But turn off the O2, and that 15% will go down too.

Resulting in death :o
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 am

InnocentSam wrote:
Gorlom wrote:

No, otherwise my crew die as well. Opening all doors except 2 or 3 rooms will leave you with about ~15% oxygen, but that's confined to those 3 rooms so it's ok. But turn off the O2, and that 15% will go down too.

Resulting in death :o

You are obviously supposed to turn it back on after the vented rooms show the orange boarder (meaning the people in that room take asphyxiation damage)
I just meant that you turn it of so that it doesn't struggle to oxygenate rooms you want devoid of oxygen (prolonging the time its safe to breathe in those rooms). simply turning it of wont make the rooms containing your crew run out at the same speed as vented room and you should be able to safely turn it back on before you run out.
rudeboy

Postby rudeboy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:55 pm

Also if you have a hull breach you can open all interior doors to equalize the oxygen and give you some time to repair it. If you walk your dude into a small room with a hull breach he will die before it gets fixed, but if you open all the doors it gives you a good amount of time before the whole ship drops to dangerous levels.
Warhawx

Postby Warhawx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:51 pm

To flood rooms with oxygen. Open all doors makes oxygen fill faster, but press it twice, and it's a suicide button. Say, your guys need to get in and seal a breach, so open all doors and share the oxygen with every room. Your guys won't suffocate in the breach room and can safely fix the hull breach.

Mind you, open for too long and that hull breach will suffocate the entire ship.
Gunnar

Postby Gunnar » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:14 pm

okay now im using the buttons almost all the time... XD

Warhawx wrote:To flood rooms with oxygen. Open all doors makes oxygen fill faster, but press it twice, and it's a suicide button. Say, your guys need to get in and seal a breach, so open all doors and share the oxygen with every room. Your guys won't suffocate in the breach room and can safely fix the hull breach.

Mind you, open for too long and that hull breach will suffocate the entire ship.

When I was in a doomed situation (terrible weapons and no fuel while the rebels caught up to me) I was going to put all my crew in the health chamber, and just click the open all doors button twice for a last stand of defiance.

Sadly... they shot my door module before I could do it :*(