Future Sandbox mode?

General discussion about the game.
Amiths

Future Sandbox mode?

Postby Amiths » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:27 am

First of all, Matthew (a.k.a zasdarq) and Matthew's team your game is awesome! I dont remember the last time i spend so much time in any indie game, i simple cant stop playing this.

But i have a question, in the future the FTL will be moddable? And are you guys planning to add a sandbox mode? I know everytime you play its different but i would like to simple travel in space destroying pirates and rebeles without need to worry about the rebel main fleet.

Thx and again, awesome game! 10/10
Soviet Creeper

Re: Future Sandbox mode?

Postby Soviet Creeper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:40 am

This would be fairly fun I suppose. Running around to see how upgraded you get until you die painfully.
I am a one man cheeseburger apocalypse
Sick Boy

Postby Sick Boy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:40 am

would be possible, i don't think it'd be as great as some people think, instead of reaching the last stand if you keep going your ship is gonna get fully upgraded pretty fast. and then you just wait until at some point you may (or may never) die.
Amiths

Postby Amiths » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:50 am

would be possible, i don't think it'd be as great as some people think, instead of reaching the last stand if you keep going your ship is gonna get fully upgraded pretty fast. and then you just wait until at some point you may (or may never) die.

Yeah i was thinking that... but i dont know... maybe stronger enemies? Lets suppose you reach Sector 5, all enemies ship get +20% damage, when you reach sector 10 all ships get +40% damage. But it sounds cool to just get all upgrades (i already finish the game 3 times and i couldnt get everthing xD), like Soviet said.
LostInTheWired

Postby LostInTheWired » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:42 am

Honestly, it wouldn't be too bad. New "boss-like" encounters might be pretty good. The real point is, instead of the linear progression we see in the main game, we'd get a large jump map, and more difficult enemies showed up further away from the origin sector. Really, I think it could end up even more fun then the main game. (Despite the bullshit deaths I've run into. Boarding parties are a bunch of bullshit, but that's a different story.)
Rilder

Postby Rilder » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:55 am

I was personally thinking more along the lines of different game/campaign modes instead of adding to the current one.

Maybe something inspired by the Silent Hunter series where you go out on patrol behind enemy lines to destroy enemy ship traffic for awhile then return to base, include some random missions to go with the mode too and I could have a lot of fun with it.
LostInTheWired

Postby LostInTheWired » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:59 am

Rilder wrote:I was personally thinking more along the lines of different game/campaign modes instead of adding to the current one.

Maybe something inspired by the Silent Hunter series where you go out on patrol behind enemy lines to destroy enemy ship traffic for awhile then return to base, include some random missions to go with the mode too and I could have a lot of fun with it.

I could see that extending replay value quite a bit, indeed. Sector takeover missions or something might be pretty cool , too. Still, I've waited so long for a good sandbox space game with gameplay like this. But hey, I'm not particularly worried either way.
Neo Corricon

Postby Neo Corricon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:07 am

Sandbox mode would be awesome.
Vigilant

Postby Vigilant » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 am

Yes indeed. Some more exploration without time pressure would be great. I guess, getting these game mechanics a little closer to a mix of Master of Orion and Elite game style is an excellent idea. Thats something the market is still waiting for.
LostInTheWired

Postby LostInTheWired » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:07 am

Vigilant wrote:Yes indeed. Some more exploration without time pressure would be great. I guess, getting these game mechanics a little closer to a mix of Master of Orion and Elite game style is an excellent idea. Thats something the market is still waiting for.

See, that's what I'm thinking. Kinda like Elite, or X3. There's difficulty there, for sure, you just have to make sure. Give me time to explore, see neat events, escape from the brink of death to continue my exploration of space. Kinda like Prospector.