I would like a quicksave/quickload or checkpoint feature

General discussion about the game.
firefoxuzi

I would like a quicksave/quickload or checkpoint feature

Postby firefoxuzi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:12 am

As fun and addictive as this game is, I hate making one wrong choice or missing a healing burst or unlucky series of misses and losing out on hours of work (especially since I've been dying almost exclusively to the flagship). Quicksave/quickload might make events too trivial, but a checkpoint system might be nice to have (at least make it available for easy mode)

in b4 roguelike, don't like it don't play, etc
Techercizer

Re: I would like a quicksave/quickload or checkpoint feature

Postby Techercizer » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:15 am

Saying "inb4" doesn't magically invalidate the arguments of everyone after you. FTL is a difficult game. You knew what the response to your question would be, so why did you go ahead and try to write it off?

Honestly the game is really easy once you get the Engi cruiser, and getting far enough to unlock it is a pretty simple thing if you're familiar with the game's systems.
firefoxuzi

Postby firefoxuzi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:23 am

I guess I was hoping to get responses from people who agree with me rather than people who're going to tell me in one form or another to learn to play.

I'll be giving this game several more rounds and I may change my mind on saves if I do find it gets easier. I like a good challenge but I don't like excess frustration and time-wasting either. And if it gets too annoying I'll just go play another game, good thing I only paid $9.
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:29 am

You can always manually backup your save. There's little chance a drastic change like this will happen.
You can post images in signature?
firefoxuzi

Postby firefoxuzi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:39 am

fall_ark wrote:You can always manually backup your save.

Good idea thanks, do you know what folder the savegames are in? I don't see them in the game folder under steamapps/common/
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:47 am

firefoxuzi wrote:
fall_ark wrote:You can always manually backup your save.

Good idea thanks, do you know what folder the savegames are in? I don't see them in the game folder under steamapps/common/

[There's a pinned topic on this subject.](viewtopic.php?f=4&t=721) Basically just go to My Documents\My Games\FTL blahblahblah

prof.sav is your profile. continue.sav is the one you will want to backup.
firefoxuzi

Postby firefoxuzi » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:05 am

Thanks for the help, happy FTLing.
Vigilant

Postby Vigilant » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:22 am

Agree with the thread starter. At least on difficulty easy. For anyone who didn´t agree higher difficulty may be the way left.

I backup the save files regulary with too little batch files:

Save.bat:
xcopy *.sav C:\Users\[User]\Documents\"My Games"\FasterThanLight\Backup /Y

Restore.bat:
xcopy C:\Users\[User]\Documents\"My Games"\FasterThanLight\Backup\*.sav C:\Users\[User]\Documents\"My Games"\FasterThanLight /Y

Simply create a folder "Backup" in the directory, create two text files "Save" and "Restore", put the xcopy instruction in there and replace [User] with your user name (without []), rename the files to *.bat.

For easier restart of the game you can also put a shortcut to the game exe into this directory.
ShadowDragon8685

Postby ShadowDragon8685 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:49 am

I have to agree with the thread's starter. At the very least, the ability to go back to the beginning of the system you're in would be nice, at least on Easy.

I almost hurled my monitor through my window when I bollocksed up on the last dialogue choice to get the Zoltan cruiser by thinking "there's a place for both of us in this galaxy" would be less likely to provoke die-hard rebels than by saying "true advancement can only come without bloodshed."
Frustrated by random things beyond your control killing you?

Maxim 31: only cheaters prosper.
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 am

ShadowDragon8685 wrote:I almost hurled my monitor through my window when I bollocksed up on the last dialogue choice to get the Zoltan cruiser by thinking "there's a place for both of us in this galaxy" would be less likely to provoke die-hard rebels than by saying "true advancement can only come without bloodshed."

Actually, the phrase you refer to is "The galaxy is huge, you can find a place for your ideals elsewhere without causing this destruction." which is like saying "If you don't live by our rules you can GTFO". Not exactly the best message to someone who's already overwhelming your forces and trying to take all your places....remember, the Federation is the losing side. Asking the winning side to "find a place elsewhere" isn't really a splendid idea.