Future DLC Wishes - Capital Ships

General discussion about the game.
rwhit85

Future DLC Wishes - Capital Ships

Postby rwhit85 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 am

I know it's silly to start up with these ideas this early, but I'd love to see this as paid DLC in the future...

Capital ships. 4-5x the size of the current ships.

• Multiple gunnery stations - kind of like the boss has - each gunnery station could assists one gun. Could be expanded to multiple shield/droid/other stations, auxilliary bridge, etc.
  • New types of stations - this has been discussed elsewhere, but things like EWar and such. Good examples here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2033
  • Tasking crew members to specific tasks (imagine Dwarf Fortress, but very simplified) - having a few Rockmen running around as a fire crew automatically fighting fires on a huge ship would help, as would a small team of Mantis to repel intruders. A repair team of Engis could run around repairing systems. Each team could require power for the same pool (1 power per 2 team members) so you'd have to juggle your teams or even choose to leave some out completely.
  • Installing extra floor hatches to empty a room of O2 that are not on the edge of the ship (could be very expensive)
  • Installing automated defenses (floor turrets, etc)
  • Manned fighters alongside drones - more expensive than drones, new 'subsystem' (Hangar) - Pilots would gain experience for fighting, and obviously could be lost in battle. Would require crew members to maintain and repair ships as well as a tac comm center.
  • Different mission than running from Rebels - maybe invading their homespace instead, with some sort of ticking clock as well. Gets tougher the closer you get to their HQ.
  • If fighting normal sized ship, multiples of the enemy ships would be interesting - 2 or 3 of them versus you. You'd have to prioritize and focus fire, or try to simultaneously disable key systems.

The ships would be balanced, of course - one type of ship could lend itself towards being a carrier with multiple hangar bays available, another could be a gunship with loads and loads of gun slots and gunnery stations, etc. Jack of all trades could be even more difficult than it already is.

Something like this would be a major expansion of the game... and I'd gladly pay $15-$20 for it if it used the same mechanics FTL already has and built on them.

Just a long shot of a wish, but man... I'd be in heaven. More than I already am with FTL.
Moosicorn

Re: Future DLC Wishes - Capital Ships

Postby Moosicorn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:12 am

I'd hand over my money for this
Boese

Postby Boese » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:12 am

I would absolutely pay money for this
Soviet Creeper

Postby Soviet Creeper » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:40 am

Id buy that for a dollar....

infact, Id buy that for a lot more than a dollar.
I am a one man cheeseburger apocalypse
Amiths

Postby Amiths » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:53 am

I would be the first to buy this DLC/Expansion.
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:34 am

I'd much rather see this sort of thing as a standalone sequel to FTL. FTL has a lot of potential, but too much to cram into silly DLC.

(Fun thought, FTL sequel names? Slightly Faster Than FTL?)
Boese

Postby Boese » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:50 pm

I especially like the potential for a carrier, with manned fighter or bomber craft that you can have other crewmen pilot.
StealthCl0wn

Postby StealthCl0wn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:55 pm

A crewless ship would be a nice difference.

Maybe some crossover ships? Would happily pay £5 for anything from 40k
GroxGlitch

Postby GroxGlitch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Hell yes on Capital Ships. THEN WE'LL SEE WHO'S LAUGHING, REBEL FLAGSHIP, THEN WE'LL SEE! MAHAHAHA-
Sorry.
BigD145

Postby BigD145 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Zuriki wrote:I'd much rather see this sort of thing as a standalone sequel to FTL. FTL has a lot of potential, but too much to cram into silly DLC.

(Fun thought, FTL sequel names? Slightly Faster Than FTL?)

Much Slower Than FTL if you're talking capital ships.