Worrying trend in reading Kickstarter Backers

General discussion about the game.
Postal

Worrying trend in reading Kickstarter Backers

Postby Postal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:08 pm

EDIT: This caused much more of an argument than I was expecting. This was meant to be more of a discussion about the motivation and use of Kickstarter than about FTL itself. Don't get too mad at each other, people.

---

Disclaimer- I'm also a KS backer.

Just thought I'd bring something up that I've been noticing around the forums since release. A lot of Kickstarter backers are complaining that the game is now cheaper than what they paid for it, and that it was a waste of their money to fund at the tier they chose. This worries me, because it's as if people think KS is used to get the game as cheap as possible, and not for the many other reasons to use it.

With Kickstarter, you're not paying them to get the guaranteed cheapest price on the game; you're being generous with your money and funding an idea that you have faith could turn out to be a great game. You may have paid more than the game is worth, but that "wasted" money is what allowed Justin and Matthew to expand the game far beyond its original scope and to create what we have today, which is awesome.

It worries me, because it seems like people did this not because they thought the game would be good, but because they wanted all of the physical rewards, the early access, and to get it as cheap as possible. I funded for $80, and technically "wasted" $60 of it, according to a lot of people, but I'm glad that money could be used to make the game as it stands today.

TL;DR: KS is for being generous with your money and funding an idea that you have faith in; don't just do it for the physical or monetary rewards. You didn't "waste" your money.
Last edited by Postal on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zuriki

Re: Worrying trend in reading Kickstarter Backers

Postby Zuriki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:44 pm

I think their issues are valid. They put their money in a risky project, and the only "thanks" they got for it was playing more than everyone else who didn't put any risky money down. It's not an entitlement issue so much as it was "bad manners" on the part of the developers.
Postal

Postby Postal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:25 pm

So knowing that you helped make the project possible and getting whatever physical rewards you paid for isn't enough of a thanks? As far as it being a risky project, it certainly succeeded, so it's not like they lost any money. All of the backers were perfectly content during the entire beta, but as soon as they found out they paid $1 more than everyone else (who didn't get access to the beta, or any of the rewards), this happened. I would think early access would easily be worth that one dollar.

What I'm mostly confused by is that people knew -exactly- what they were getting in to when the decided to back it, and that all of this fuss is about a $1 discount for the first week of release. Maybe that doesn't sit well with you, but it's still only a dollar.
RynCage

Postby RynCage » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:02 pm

People take issue with it because its tasteless, Especially considering the insane amount of support the game got.
Kickstarter isnt a paypal donation button. People DO expect to be getting somewhat of a deal by backing a project. The fact that it helps support the game is a bonus to them, but they got in it for the perks.
Considering it was their money that they spent, they can talk on the subject as much as they want. I really don't see the issue.
garethmagis

Postby garethmagis » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:10 pm

I think that some people don't understand what kickstarter is for. Kickstarter is not a preorder site, it is only a site for supporting developers or content creators or whatever it is that you feel like backing. No where do they claim that the game will be 10 dollars, what they are saying is that you are giving them 10 dollars to back a project that you believe in. If you don't believe in the project or want to support it simply don't back it. You literally have no legitimate complaint unless you consider ignorance a good excuse. Obviously the vast majority of backers understood this and that is why there are only a few topics complaining about a 2 dollar price difference. If you are going to use sites like kickstarter, please understand what it is that you are pledging money to.
Postal

Postby Postal » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:16 pm

garethmagis wrote:Kickstarter is not a preorder site, it is only a site for supporting developers or content creators or whatever it is that you feel like backing. No where do they claim that the game will be 10 dollars, what they are saying is that you are giving them 10 dollars to back a project that you believe in.

Exactly what I was trying to say, in a much more succinct manner. Thanks.
darthrevan4ever

Postby darthrevan4ever » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 pm

People have been spoiled with games like minecraft and kerbal space program that if they buy into the game at a beta level they will get it cheaper then when they release it. Now this way is a different species people where supporting the game and got access to the beta and some other benefits but are mad because they seem to feel ripped off.

This is unfounded though they were not buying the game early like Mincraft and Kerbal space station people do they were supporting its start up and as a reward they makers gave you access to the beta they really didn't have to give you anything. Its a dollar less now so what its a dollar and you got plenty of extras already stop acting entitled and enjoy this awesome game :)
Zuriki

Postby Zuriki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 pm

I agree that the response from regarding this was exaggerated. My understanding from the kickstarter page was that $10 donors didn't get access to beta (this might have changed since), and the $10 package was essentially a pre-order. If they did get beta access then the response is entirely unwarranted and anyone making the claim that they got ripped off is an utter fool.

Look, I'd be a little bit miffed too if my pre-order cost more than first day buyers if I didn't get a little bit early access or beta access. I probably wouldn't kick up a fuss about it, but I'd just view it as tasteless.
humdawg

Postby humdawg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:00 pm

What the fudge, first world problems here.
darthrevan4ever

Postby darthrevan4ever » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:04 pm

Was miss informed by a few friends as it seems, they said 10 bucks got beta access while the site says get the game, but still come on guys you weren't preordaining a game here you were making sure it got made. Its not tasteless its fair pricing for everyone else