Crew Station/Subsystem Function Expansion Ideas

General discussion about the game.
Arcalane

Crew Station/Subsystem Function Expansion Ideas

Postby Arcalane » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Some thoughts for expanding existing stations;

Sensors
Having a sensor operator could increase your gun/missile/bomb hit chance. Then you can think about trading off between reload speed and accuracy early on.

Alternately, multipurpose Sensors into Electronic Warfare. Electronic Warfare would be used to passively interfere with enemy targeting systems, essentially raising your Evasion by a small amount.

With upgrades, you could also unlock the ability to hack into enemy subsystems, temporarily disabling them like an EMP hit. Hack the enemy door controls and you could open all of their doors to space or a breached room. Shut off their oxygen supplies. Disable the flight controls. Shut off the power to the engines or weapons. Lots of possibilities, but you can only do one at a time, and it's slow!

Having a good Sensors/Electronic Warfare officer would make it much harder for your ship to be hacked into as well.

Of course, EWar shouldn't completely disable door controls if they're hacked into by the AI -- because the AI venting your ship on you would be the cheesiest thing ever. Just set all weapons to autofire at their Ewar room, mash 'close all doors', and pray your own ewar officer can lock them out of the ship or you can destroy their uplink... ;)

Drones
A drone operator would increase the effectiveness of drones - movement speed, attack power, etc. - whether spaceborne or shipboard. Simple.

Cloaking
A skilled cloak operator could squeeze more lifetime out of a cloak and reduce recharge time, maybe boosting the evasion it grants a little (although it's fairly easy to get 100+ evasion chance anyway).

Ed: Changed the thread subject line to be a little clearer.
Last edited by Arcalane on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
cuthulhuiscool2

Re: Crew Station Expansion

Postby cuthulhuiscool2 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 pm

I like your ideas, It would make sense to add more stations, I always end up with 4 crew members just doing nothing!
Moosicorn

Postby Moosicorn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:23 pm

This would be nice better than having crewmen just stand around waiting for something to explode on the ship
Arcalane

Postby Arcalane » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:46 am

I usually have guys stationed in those rooms (and the door controls/life support) in case of subsystem damage from missiles, to be honest. But it'd be nice for them to have more 'active' features so your guys aren't just standing around like idiots.

Another thing I thought of; passively, Electronic Warfare Officers could also interfere with enemy teleportation and FTL jump planning. Shield operator skill and shield strength should factor into boarding teleportation as well. Then you could simply axe the FTL Jammer augment and roll it into the EWar station. Though it might be a bit much for just one person... which brings me on to another point;

I'd also like to see multiple crewmembers per room having an effect, even if it's just a quarter of the standard. So if you have two unskilled guys in the weapons room, then you get 12.5% recharge rather than 10%. Similarly, a copilot for additional piloting skill, and so on. In other cases it might allow you to undertake more actions such as EWar. Take out the enemy EWar and put both your officers to offense, or put one on defense and the other on offense, etc.