Update v1.0 & v1.01 - Very few changes

General discussion about the game.
navy_spitfire

Re: Update v1.0 & v1.01 - Very few changes

Postby navy_spitfire » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:22 am

Regarding updates... I didn't see the kickstarter or know the plans for the future of this game, is there a list somewhere? Is there going to be more content added in the future? More updates? Bug fixes, add-ons, etc...?
apostateCourier

Postby apostateCourier » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:44 am

I'd like to vote for a "sandbox" mode, personally. Or, perhaps, a nonlinear mode ala Firefly- just a ship and its' crew, trying to make their way through an uncaring 'verse. With occasional plot thrown in- but that'd be more like an expansion pack or a sequel, given the (probable, I have little experience in the field) work involved.
Stealth

Postby Stealth » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:03 am

As a GoG-version owner, I'm wondering - how will future updates be handled? Will we able to download the incremental patches from this site, will GoG roll up the changes in their EXE? I haven't seen the option for update checking in the game anywhere, though I'm not sure if it'd be the best idea.
The official FTL noob (tm)
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 am

apostateCourier wrote:I'd like to vote for a "sandbox" mode, personally. Or, perhaps, a nonlinear mode ala Firefly- just a ship and its' crew, trying to make their way through an uncaring 'verse. With occasional plot thrown in- but that'd be more like an expansion pack or a sequel, given the (probable, I have little experience in the field) work involved.

They are having problems with the sand box mode that is why it is not in, but as an idea they could add in Food Stores that take one unit per crew member per jump. You can buy Food Stores at Stores, but also convert Scrap via a teleporter to resequence the pattern into edible proteins at a 125% normal cost.
Irishguy117

Postby Irishguy117 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:11 pm

I gotta say I would have really loved a sandbox mode where the game just keeps going on for as long as you can go. It would be great and so long as enemies keep upgrading along with you every fight could be much more involved as you get further and further in.
ftl_raptor

Postby ftl_raptor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:52 pm

I think a sandbox turns the game into something it isn't. I'd rather have them focus on adding some more variety, fixing some balancing issues and updating the HUD.

I also constantly have to remind myself that this is a rogue-like and not a simulator. If someone were to release this game as a simulator and not a quick-to-play Roguelike, I'd be all for a sandbox.
baabelfish

A few irritating things

Postby baabelfish » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:23 pm

There are two things that really need improvement:

- Even if the game uses fixed resolution the window should be resizable so that the content would just stretch. I find it really irritating in linux with multiple workspaces. I would like to check out other programs at the same time I play the game in fullscreen.

- More keyboard shortcuts! There should be more bindings e.g. for group members (maybe even groups), systems, drones and autofire!!. One minor detail is that there seems to be no way to pause the game with mouse making it impossible to play without a keyboard.

Nevertheless it's a great game even with these annoyances! <3
Novodantis

Postby Novodantis » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:27 pm

Just thought I'd chime in with support for a 'sandbox' mode, perhaps better termed as 'explore' mode. I really enjoy the game at the moment, but sometimes would like to try it at my own pace with time to explore all the upgrades and such. An alternative mode with a concentric sector map with harder enemies further out (and movement permitted back and forth) would allow the player to take it at their own rate.
Nemesis

Postby Nemesis » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:19 am

Registered specifically to add another vote for a "Free play" or "sandbox" mode for the game. Absolutely LOVE the game play, but it seems a little rushed sometimes (The pace of the game that is, not the development) which, granted, was probably part of the point but.... I'd like to be able to see some of the higher end content sometimes. Not to say that I would never play the "Story" if I had access to a sandbox mode... just that it'd be a nice option to have.

I also would like to see some sort of "Emergency backup life support" or single use vacuum suit or something... those hull breaches in the O2 room are just to deadly, lol

And also: thanks for an awesome game!
ScottWAR

Postby ScottWAR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Add my vote for a sandbox mode. This game would be much better with a sandbox mode to make it actually feel like "exploring the universe" instead of "fly to the edge of the screen as fast as possible".

After a sandbox mode has been added,...then content can be added to add a stroyline to the sandbox mode.......a campaign mode.

So you would have
Story mode - the current game
Sandbox mode- free roaming- no pursuit from rebels......Larger universe.
Campaign mode- large universe,......no constant pursuit (could be pursued at some point as part of the storyline)....and some type of story/plot.