Thoughts On Hard Mode

General discussion about the game.
fall_ark

Re: Thoughts On Hard Mode

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Towser wrote:That's kind of a drag, especially since you can't keep a "lock" on the ship that jumped away to go in pursuit... :?

I can understand that - after all that's how you escape from battles. The assumption seems to be that FTL jumps are impossible to track.

Still even if my crew weren't in the pilot room it'll still be a sucker punch to the player: who says that my boarding party won't be able to kill their crew, take control of the ship, and jump back? Of course that would probably be too much trouble to code (remaining hp with consideration to Mantis and Engi should cover most situations, but then room size, medbays, fires and oxygens would complicate things a lot), so maybe just the pilot room thing.

I've been in similar situation once, but....I don't have the heart to test. *shudder* :?
You can post images in signature?
Towser

Postby Towser » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:35 pm

Oh I totally get the logic behind the "cannot track FTL jumps", but I would totally nerd out if they added a mechanic where at some point it WOULD be possible to track these abducters with top of the line sensors (or a crewman so skilled at the sensors console he would come up with a way to detect the "ion trail" or "jump signature" of the last ship to have escaped him :P)
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Towser wrote:Oh I totally get the logic behind the "cannot track FTL jumps", but I would totally nerd out if they added a mechanic where at some point it WOULD be possible to track these abducters with top of the line sensors (or a crewman so skilled at the sensors console he would come up with a way to detect the "ion trail" or "jump signature" of the last ship to have escaped him :P)

Or your boarding crew could send a signal to your ship where they were being abducted. :lol:

There's actually a lot of extra "planned" augmentations in the data files. One of them is a "Personal Teleportation Device", which will automatically teleport your crew back if their ship explodes or either side FTL jumps away. If there's DLC/post-release updates, I would like to see more augmentations and augmentation slots (and maybe varied/modular, so that powerful augmentations, say, will occupy more slots or exclude one another, so you can have a few really strong augmentations, or 4~5 "weaker", more niche augmentations). That'd be nice.
geldonyetich

Postby geldonyetich » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:50 am

fall_ark wrote:I can understand that - after all that's how you escape from battles. The assumption seems to be that FTL jumps are impossible to track.

I was watching this one Lets Play and the player encountered an enemy ship that jumps away and it gave him the option to chase the enemy ship, saying that they "forgot to mask their jump signature." So there you have it: the reason why FTL jumps are impossible to track is people can do that. That said, this probably won't happen often to you because I think this is part of a special event.

In my head canon, when you end up leaving crew behind for any reason, the reason they don't meet with your ship later (say, at the gate out of the sector in the ship they took over before it jumped away) is because they found a way off of your federation suicide mission and aren't in a hurry to return. It's so hard to find good help these days. :mrgreen:
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:01 am

geldonyetich wrote:
fall_ark wrote:I can understand that - after all that's how you escape from battles. The assumption seems to be that FTL jumps are impossible to track.

I was watching this one Lets Play and the player encountered an enemy ship that jumps away and it gave him the option to chase the enemy ship, saying that they "forgot to mask their jump signature." So there you have it: the reason why FTL jumps are impossible to track is people can do that. That said, this probably won't happen often to you because I think this is part of a special event.

In my head canon, when you end up leaving crew behind for any reason, the reason they don't meet with your ship later (say, at the gate out of the sector in the ship they took over before it jumped away) is because they found a way off of your federation suicide mission and aren't in a hurry to return. It's so hard to find good help these days. :mrgreen:

If there's reunion event it'd be hilarious :lol:

".....Brian? We thought you were dead when the pirates jumped away...!"

"Oh hell no not you guys again! Well actually, I can use another 40 scraps."

"...fuck you Brian. "
Maekar395

Postby Maekar395 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Everything in this thread so far has been about improving the AI or adding newer mechanics to make the game more challenging, but I had a slightly different idea. I've watched tons of let's plays, and in the early sectors you keep running across ships like 'slug interceptor' or 'rock scout'', etc. etc. You keep seeing small, scout type ships with limited space and therefore limited systems. Why not make "scout" versions of all the ships available with limited room for weapons/systems/crew? Force you to be more strategic with what systems you eventually buy, plus the whole plot of one ship on the run just fits in my mind better if that one ship is a small scout rather than a formidable cruiser.

Also I like the idea of adding more ships in general, and since there is a small but vocal subset of gamers that love ludicrous challenges, I think adding in a set of underpowered ships would definitely cater to that group. I know I would pay extra money for scout ship DLC.
Dahn

Postby Dahn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:43 pm

Maekar395 wrote:Everything in this thread so far has been about improving the AI or adding newer mechanics to make the game more challenging, but I had a slightly different idea. I've watched tons of let's plays, and in the early sectors you keep running across ships like 'slug interceptor' or 'rock scout'', etc. etc. You keep seeing small, scout type ships with limited space and therefore limited systems. Why not make "scout" versions of all the ships available with limited room for weapons/systems/crew? Force you to be more strategic with what systems you eventually buy, plus the whole plot of one ship on the run just fits in my mind better if that one ship is a small scout rather than a formidable cruiser.

Also I like the idea of adding more ships in general, and since there is a small but vocal subset of gamers that love ludicrous challenges, I think adding in a set of underpowered ships would definitely cater to that group. I know I would pay extra money for scout ship DLC.

Maekar, that is such a superb idea!
I'd love to see this implemented!
I would also be happy to pay for DLC that gave us a bunch of new ships!
geldonyetich

Postby geldonyetich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:51 am

I've nothing against the idea of adding more, smaller playable ships. However, the primary reason I started the thread was because there were certain mechanics I thought there was missing. That they turned out to make the game more challenging was a coincidence.