Suggestions for FTL 2

General discussion about the game.
jumper

Re: Suggestions for FTL 2

Postby jumper » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:12 am

I have an idea that I wanted to share with you. It basically allows for some kind of story mode and a variety of missions.

First of imagine a board of chess. Every square symbolizes a different area on the map, which each contains a bunch of stars and planets. For example, in the top right corner (if there even is a border; I haven't expanded that thought) is the mantis kingdom, which may be hostile towards the other nations, whereas somewhere else the Engi have built their empire and so on. So every square is being controlled by a nation; there might of course also be uninvestigated or uninhabited places on the map, maybe hiding another evil nation.

This would allow for some kind of story mode. Bad plot I just thought of: You are a young man who visits a big planet and is then drawn into some kind of intrigues or something like that, or you are just joining the army of your nation and because of your good navigation skills you get to control a ship and have to do some missions. Or you are a delivery boy at first and get into some adventures in space ;)

While doing your missions, the evil nations may expand on the map as well as some renegades from other nations, which you will meet (and fight) in space.

Since I am a fan of the rogue-like elements in FTL, a "normal mode" as we know it should be there as well, but still include the map sceme from above. Essentially, there could be many different mini-storylines. You get to chose one in the menu, then chose your ship and depending on your route on the map to your destination, the areas you see are always different.

If this worked, it would mean a lot in respect to 'having a small universe to travel in', but the right way to do it is difficult.

Edited because someone felt the need to correct me, rather than contributing to the discussion. My #1 language isn't english, so I'm terribly sorry for any mistakes:P
Last edited by jumper on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hx_

Postby hx_ » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:34 am

Wow a quad based map what an original idea!
Lord0fHam

Postby Lord0fHam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:26 am

jumper wrote: You are a joung man...

Apparenly I'm a Mexican YOUNG man.
jumper

Postby jumper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 pm

hx_ wrote:Wow a quad based map what an original idea!

Well why not? It just has to be done right, and it would give you an easy way to explore the world while still keeping FTL as it is now, but with some variety.

Sure, it's not the most original idea but it could be used for FTL2 quite good; at least that's my opinion.
lolmaus

Postby lolmaus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am

I agree that FTL 1 is basically a tremendous ship and battle mechanics, it's 95% of the game content. The rest of the game components (galaxy generation and exploration, planets, plot, economy, factions, encounters...) are not full-fledged. They are kinda stumps, just scaffolding to make ship and battle mechanics become playable.

So it would be great if FTL creators created a real full-scaled game with their unique mechanics.
lutzbot

Postby lutzbot » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 am

have there been any official announcements or info on a sequel to FTL? I suspect I am out of the loop here
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:16 pm

There has been no such announcement. Last they said, the team is studying porting the game to mobile devices.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
rienk

Postby rienk » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:57 pm

- Instead of beacons, jump to starsystems. Jumping from star to star is awesome. Personally I hope like to look up Sol. :) A main quest for the middle (or edge) of the galaxy.
- How about demonlike creatures and the edge of the galaxy and angelic race at the centre. Earth is in the middle so that should work out.
- Relationship with different races + effects that might have, like buying stuff/crew/objectives and missions.
- I had this idea for a game I was making. I had the same zoomed in ships at the endges of the screen and I had small models circeling eachother at the centre. Make em go faster with better truster and make sharper turns. No more "Miss", but you can see a missle or rocket/laser/plasmabolt/gauss-shot going to miss + more realistic.
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
legocreeper2001

Postby legocreeper2001 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:25 am

:D :lol: :D OVERPOWERED PLAYER WEAPONS!

EDIT: Possibly based before or after the original FTL game- this would make this have the backstory of the rebellion or whatever happened after the rebelst.