Sweet Idea: 1st person, multiplayer FTL!?

General discussion about the game.
theenigmaelf

Sweet Idea: 1st person, multiplayer FTL!?

Postby theenigmaelf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Alright, I'm very new to the forums and created an account specifically for this post. and it's just a cool idea.
IDEA: What if there could be a mod or new game (like FTL) that was in 1st person you would choose your ship at start (it would be a cool feature if you could build your ship with "credits'?) and be able to play with 1-4 other friends all at different stations, where you would have to fix hull breaches, seal in fire- all in 1st person! With all the buttons scattered everywhere in the ships (in the correct locations according to station) You and your friends would have to communicate effectively to accomplish different tasks. There could even be 1st person cannons you could get into and fire at the enemy ship in a real time 3-D environment. You and your friends could pick different species (and customize the appearance? Also with "credits"? , perhaps different species other then humans required "credits" to use or unlock?)
Monitoring the other ship with sensors would just be you walking up to a sensor panel and right clicking it to open a view of the enemy ship and your ship (much like the current FTL view from above where both ships are visible). You could unlock or buy weapons (maybe also customizable?) to repel borders and also board ships yourself and reek havoc!
The system which FTL uses to kind of level your crew, abling them to do the tasks assigned faster as they do more of could also be included in the mod or game just like it appears in FTL. It's just a basic idea but, cool right?

Here's the problem, I CAN'T program nope not one bit, this is just an idea, nothing more? It would be cool to see someone try to program this because I think it would be awesome. If you have any more cool ideas for a 1st person, or really 3rd person too I guess, 3-D FTL game, please post them and it will be interesting to see the cool new ideas.
-Theenigmaelf
UltraMantis

Re: Sweet Idea: 1st person, multiplayer FTL!?

Postby UltraMantis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 pm

I don't know of any game that tries to mix FPS with a tactical sim. At least not at the level of detail in FTL. X3 did allow you to pilot multiple ships and go on EVA, but was single player and the EVA stuff was limited to claiming captured ships. It was mostly about trading, upgrading and managing fleet and facilities.

Derelict is more on the money regarding the things you describe in frist person, but again is single player and doesnt feature flying around or combat.

No game combining squad based FPS elements with a space shooter exist afaik. It wouldn't be impossible to make but it would be difficult to spread gameplay evenly across all players. Most of the game would be spent dogfighting and that would leave the rest of the crew little to do. Turning shields back on once they have taken a hit doesn't seem very exciting, though engaging intruders in melee on a shaking, burning ship would be fun.

I don't see game developers jumping on the idea because i'm not sure how much interest there would be. However that could have probably been said about FTL or Drox Operative. Creating and finetuning a 3d engine that is good for simultaneous space combat and 1st person shooting would not be easy or cheap so such a concept would require enough interest from gamers before it was considered.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
theenigmaelf

Postby theenigmaelf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:42 pm

@UltraMantis Yes it would take a lot of money and maybe not be a feasible idea, just a cool one haha. There is games that cross 1st person shooter and other elements like tower defense such as sanctum 1 and sanctum 2. I think you would have to alter the game mechanics to allow a more challenging and engaging experience at each station, such as the shield station would have to be much more engaging, it would be hard to do well.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:05 pm

Check out the gmod's FinalFrontier http://www.youtube.com/user/FinalFrontierDev
zeek

Postby zeek » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 pm

You'd have to make engines, shields, and repairing into some kind of mini-game if they're going to be fun. The problem is they would probably just get extra repetitive. While piloting and trying to dodge missiles or evade lasers would be cool. On the flip side trying to shoot a ship flying all over the place could be fun. So, you kinda have two obvious fun roles and two obvious boring roles. Not great for a multiplayer game.
theenigmaelf

Postby theenigmaelf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:46 pm

zeek wrote:You'd have to make engines, shields, and repairing into some kind of mini-game if they're going to be fun. The problem is they would probably just get extra repetitive. While piloting and trying to dodge missiles or evade lasers would be cool. On the flip side trying to shoot a ship flying all over the place could be fun. So, you kinda have two obvious fun roles and two obvious boring roles. Not great for a multiplayer game.

@zeek how about this, 2 player multiplayer were you could moniter those not fun systems and focus on the systems that are fun, with AI manning the stations that are "boring"