Cant get Basilisk out of sector 1

General discussion about the game.
Cartire

Cant get Basilisk out of sector 1

Postby Cartire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:08 pm

I had to make an account, cause my browsing turned up nothing.

Everyone raves about this ship. And I love the idea behind it, but I cant even get out of sector 1 in 20 tries with it.

Auto-Assualt Ships
Zoltan Ships

You cant beat them, and you just pray you can FTL in time before they do to much damage.

20 runs, and I cant avoid these guys. I cant get out of sector 1. Beyond frustrating.

For whats it worth, I know as soon as I get a few more crew and a couple upgrades, this beast will decimate. And my greatest concern is I do get to sector 2 or 3 or whatever, die, and then be stuck in sector 1 again for another 20+ runs.

Any advice?
mr silencer

Re: Cant get Basilisk out of sector 1

Postby mr silencer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 pm

Have you tried sending your crew into the automated ships? your crew might die but swearing and breaking expensive objects until your neighbors call the cops can help you calm down.
Signature loading...
Cartire

Postby Cartire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 pm

mr silencer wrote:Have you tried sending your crew into the automated ships? your crew might die but swearing and breaking expensive objects until your neighbors call the cops can help you calm down.

Without level 2 teleport, they will die. You cant bring them back in time before they run out of o2.
mr silencer

Postby mr silencer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 pm

you asked for advice so i gave it to you :( Is i a failyur :( :( :(
Signature loading...
spacecadet13

Postby spacecadet13 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:11 pm

Zoltan ships and auto-assaults can be frustrating, until you get a weapon or two to take down shields and do some damage. As mentioned, a lvl 2 teleporter will allow your mantis's to jump in to an auto assault, deal damage and port back before expiring, levelling up as they go, before finishing off with the boarding drone.

What I don't get is how the auto scout/zoltans can be doing enough damage to destroy the Basilisk in the first couple of sectors. You've got two shields and a D Drone, and generally there are very few ships in the first two sectors that have enough firepower to even get through that, let alone destroy the ship. Of course, it's always possible to be totally screwed by the RNG and take a bomb to the engines and the next one to the shields, in an asteroid field/sun, but that would be the exception rather than the rule. Usually worst case with the Basilisk in the first two sectors is not getting extra crew and the weapon(s) you need, and then really struggling in the later sectors when the ships can easily get through your defence and you mantis's can't repair fast enough and you don't have enough scrap for the upgrades/repairs you need.

Save scrap early for a store to get either a weapon or another crew member, or, if you have enough scrap with no store in sight, grab the level 2 teleport upgrade. Once you get 'momentum' with the Basilisk, it is pretty unstoppable
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:25 pm

Basilisk is a beast but it can die in 1 jump. Normally you only need 9 out of 10 such deaths before you can make it. It's atough ship to get going, but once it does it is mighty.

It's very hard to flee as well, so to help you get your tele to lvl2 asap then pump scrap into engines to ensure a getaway. If possible try to upgrade the medbay, sensor and if you can, keep some scrap in reserve to a great shield killing or shield piercing weapon. An ion bomb would or BL2 would be sweet.

I have a video of what the ship is capable when it does survive the first sector. Of course the first enemy was an auto scout, what else... and the second. And a flare... Just man the engines to get a FTL recharge boost and pray. You can do it.

Basilisk full playthrough.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Cartire

Postby Cartire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:28 pm

So the issue with the drone is that on auto-assaults, it cant move between rooms. So you use it and its stuck in whatever room it went into.

In sector 1, if you meet either of these guys during a hazard (plasma/astroids/solar flare), you take plenty of damage.
Cartire

Postby Cartire » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:29 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Basilisk is a beast but it can die in 1 jump. Normally you only need 9 out of 10 such deaths before you can make it. It's atough ship to get going, but once it does it is mighty.

It's very hard to flee as well, so to help you get your tele to lvl2 asap then pump scrap into engines to ensure a getaway. If possible try to upgrade the medbay, sensor and if you can, keep some scrap in reserve to a great shield killing or shield piercing weapon. An ion bomb would or BL2 would be sweet.

I have a video of what the ship is capable when it does survive the first sector. Of course the first enemy was an auto scout, what else... and the second. And a flare... Just man the engines to get a FTL recharge boost and pray. You can do it.

Basilisk full playthrough.

Ill go tele first, then engines, and see how it goes.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:47 pm

Go engines, they're much more important in the long run. You only need a lvl2 tele and that is only for autoscouts.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:37 pm

I too have a pretty solid run with the Basilisk. Feel free to watch it at http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... QbiJXhvfr8

I've found that if you can't beat auto-scouts in the first sector, stay out of nebulas. Seriously, they're littered with the darn things.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."