A question about boarding parties

General discussion about the game.
K104

A question about boarding parties

Postby K104 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:49 am

I have always wondered, if your boarding party was on the enemy ship when yours blows up, can you take over the enemy ship? If not, why? I never tested it, as I am more of a 'Blow up everything before questioning actions' kind of player, so boarding parties are pretty much out of the question. Since this happens when you destroy an enemy boarding party's ship, I thought maybe it could work the other way. Comments?
Ozei

Re: A question about boarding parties

Postby Ozei » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:22 am

Answer is no. If your ship blows up, you're gone for good.

It could be kinda cool, but afterall many enemy ships are just shit (low hull, can't have all systems etc...). Like slug interceptor, no medbay and no way to repair engines or life support...
My fleet so far:
Kestrel A, Kestrel B, Engi A, Engi B, Rock A, Rock B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Fed A, Fed B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Mantis A, Mantis B, Slug A, Slug B, Crystal A, Crystal B
Green is victory, on normal
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:26 am

No, unfortunately, you can't take over the enemy ship; if your ship is blown up, it's game over. Why? Because that's the way the game was made.

It would be interesting if the game didn't end as long as you had crew alive. Of course, you'd expect to see different reactions depending on what ship you took over, but that would probably be a lot of work. Imagine, though, if you took over a rebel ship. If you ran into any Feds, you'd have to try to persuade them you're on their side. But you could hit all the beacons, and if the rebel fleet catches up to you, so what? You're one of them!

"Hey, guys, don't mind us, we're rebs just like you. What? No, we haven't seen that Federation ship yet. Uh, but we're going to jump to the next sector to see if it's there. Yeah, we're like an advance scout. Yeah, that's the ticket. We'll let you know if we find it. Kthxbye. What? Oh, uh, down with the Feds! Those bastards! C ya. (Jump! Jump now!)"
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:16 am

As to why, the answer is that it would take a lot of coding to get that done. At the very least, every single enemy ship type would need to be copied over (including a 90 degree turn) to the player ship models.

And you'd be at such a disadvantage in the other ship, it'd not really be all that worth it. There's a reason you can blow most of them away and it's not (all) the AI's fault.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."