What are these... cards?

General discussion about the game.
IConquer

What are these... cards?

Postby IConquer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:12 am

I opened steam just now and I got a message that 4 new items were in my inventory. I am apparently the proud owner of 2 federation cruisers, one "foil" federation cruiser, and a mantis cruiser.

What are these? I haven't heard anything about this until now.
boa13

Re: What are these... cards?

Postby boa13 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:40 am

Well, apparently FTL is part of the Steam Trading Cards beta. First time I hear about that. :)
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
VanguardOfValor

Re: What are these... cards?

Postby VanguardOfValor » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:33 pm

The beta for the trading cards is actually over now, it's available to everyone now. The idea is you gather all of the cards in a set and you can craft them together into a badge for your profile. In doing so you also get a background for your steam profile and an emoticon you can use in chat.

The foil ones are rare versions of the same cards, and you need an entire set of foil cards to be able to craft a foil badge.

Once you get all the cards you can get from random drops you become eligible to randomly earn "booster packs" of additional cards.

They don't really do anything important (but that doesn't stop me from wanting to collect the set. :P), but I have to say that FTL's are some of the nicest ones I've seen because if you click on them on the badge page you can see a ton of neat information about the ships and the variants.
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...