Idea for FTL 2: upgrading equipment

General discussion about the game.
xdiesp

Idea for FTL 2: upgrading equipment

Postby xdiesp » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm

I think it would be great to be able and upgrade your equipment just like the systems in your ship. It would create more decisions along the way: would you rather buy a different augment, or upgrade your current one?
IConquer

Re: Idea for FTL 2: upgrading equipment

Postby IConquer » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:29 pm

can I downgrade my Burst Laser III into a mark II? Please?
thashepherd

Postby thashepherd » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:58 pm

Other than the "buy vs. augment" choice, this is actually possible for modders in FTL 1 with sufficiently sophisticated event chains. Check out the mod "Descent Into Darkness" for a glimpse at what really skilled dudes can accomplish.

(Note that I'm only barely being serious. "Possible" != "Feasible".)
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
966socho

Postby 966socho » Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 am

I'm thinking you could probably do it as an event. If you have a certain crew race or augment, say an engi, you could pay scrap to upgrade certain weapons. There should be a chance of accidentally destroying to make it FUN :D

That just reminds me that there should be a way to make blue events by ship type and crew skill level.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Sun May 05, 2013 9:11 am

I didn't know about Descent into Darkness, definitely giving it a shot today! Thanks.
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Mon May 06, 2013 12:53 am

966socho wrote:
That just reminds me that there should be a way to make blue events by ship type and crew skill level.

You should be able to make eblue events based on ship type. I know there is one even with a mantis ship and if you have the rock ship it litteraly says Rock ship: Ram the bastards
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
966socho

Postby 966socho » Mon May 06, 2013 10:52 am

Huh, you're right, it's this event. Even though it says (Rock Ship), it could be because of the Rock Plating augment. Anyone ever tried that event with a Rock Ship minus Plating or another ship with Rock Plating?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 pm

966socho wrote:Huh, you're right, it's this event. Even though it says (Rock Ship), it could be because of the Rock Plating augment. Anyone ever tried that event with a Rock Ship minus Plating or another ship with Rock Plating?

Based on the xml code in the events_rock.xml:

Code: Select all

<choice hidden="true" req="ROCK_ARMOR">
      <text>(Rock Ship) Ram the bastards.</text>
      <event>
         <text>Before they have a chance, you ram your ship into theirs causing irreparable damage to their engines. Luckily your ships armored hull is hardly dented from the impact. The Mantis ship careens away and you move in to attack.</text>
         <ship hostile="true"/>
         <status type="limit" target="enemy" system="engines" amount="0"/>
      </event>
   </choice>

I'd say it's looking for the armor :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."