Page 1 of 1

So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:27 am
by IConquer
And say, theoretically, you forget that there is still crew onboard when you defeat the first or second stage.

For the sake of argument, pretend that either most of the flaghsip crew is dead, or your own crew is in one of the rooms that is seperated from the rest.

Why do you lose those crewmembers?

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:59 am
by BKT
My answer from YOUR point of view:-

Flagship has Advance AI, Super Weapon (which is hidden from view), and also Sensor (unique amongs enemy ships) ... So perhaps:—

1) Advance AI using the on-board Sensor to detect intruders in each room
2) It activate an emergency system (1 of the secret Super weapon that the Federation didn't know about) in that room
3) This happen! (click)

:twisted:

My answer from MY point of view:-

Why do you lose those crewmembers? ... Because the rules of the game said so! ;)

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 am
by IConquer
But... How come crew state is remembered regarding the flagship's crew? If you kill all the crew in stage 1, it has no crew in stage 2. If you blow up the ship and 3 crewmembers happen to be repairing the cloak, those crew will be lost.

And also, why doesn't it do that BEFORE your crew takes out the missiles?

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:11 am
by BKT
IConquer wrote:But... How come crew state is remembered regarding the flagship's crew? If you kill all the crew in stage 1, it has no crew in stage 2


Sound perfectly sensible to me...

IConquer wrote:If you blow up the ship and 3 crewmembers happen to be repairing the cloak, those crew will be lost.


Since that part of the ship that housed the Cloak system fall off into space when it jumps; it made sense that any humans still in that room would be dead— Humans has very limited tolerance to the vacuum of space after all... :geek:

IConquer wrote:And also, why doesn't it do that BEFORE your crew takes out the missiles?


I can't help you with this— this is due to the fact that:

- Flagship has an advance counter-measure that blocked our sensor ability to do anything beyond basic visual/system scan on the Flagship.
- Any info regarding the Flagships appeared to be top-level classified information since even after subjected to a maximum-intensity torturing procedure, none of the captured rebel member seem to have any knowledge or say anything about it.

We just simply don't have any intel on how the AI system operate, its technical specification, or any info on it. Sorry. :cry:

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:17 am
by IConquer
"Oh, there's a federation ship over there. Better deactivate our best anti-personnel countermeasure so that we can power our means of preventing the enemy from getting a thorough scan of our ship, thus discovering our anti-personnel countermeasure. That secret will die with the rebellion!"

... It just makes no sense to me :(

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:52 am
by BKT
It could be :

- By design : it's a trap! :twisted:
- Safety reason : live guns pose serious risk to the crew, so in a non-emergency situation, it's off by default?
- Operator error : someone forget to turn some switch on?
- System limitations, flaws, bugs, error
- Power consumption : the system may required large amount of power to function and therefore can't be use during live battle.
- Unknown cause : maybe something in the system failed (eletrical problem, perhaps?) and caused a temporarily system malfunction?

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:33 pm
by cicobuff
Why are all these weird question threads that is popping up regarding rules of the game? Like that silly asteroid one.

The left behind crew members are killed when the flag ship detected crew members and decided to turn off it's oxygen generator. Any left over flagship crew are then moved into it's medbay. Your crew members panicked and ran around in panic. Just before the crew die due to low oxygen, the oxygen is turned back on. The enemy moves in to kill your crew.

Or, many other possible explanations available, some involving a planet and teleporter. Use Some imagination folks.

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 am
by IConquer
cicobuff wrote:Why are all these weird question threads that is popping up regarding rules of the game? Like that silly asteroid one.

The left behind crew members are killed when the flag ship detected crew members and decided to turn off it's oxygen generator. Any left over flagship crew are then moved into it's medbay. Your crew members panicked and ran around in panic. Just before the crew die due to low oxygen, the oxygen is turned back on. The enemy moves in to kill your crew.

Or, many other possible explanations available, some involving a planet and teleporter. Use Some imagination folks.


But when a game's own rules seem contradictory enough that you have to ask those questions, is it not better to ask them?

Are you supposed to just accept everything as it is and convince yourself that it is at it should be?

Re: So when you're fighting the flagship...

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:34 am
by cicobuff
IConquer wrote:But when a game's own rules seem contradictory enough that you have to ask those questions, is it not better to ask them?

Are you supposed to just accept everything as it is and convince yourself that it is at it should be?


Where is the contradiction in the points you raised? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really interested to know.

From what I see, the game designers didn't spell out the scenarios exactly but there's enough scope for the things, that you said is contradictory, to occur WITHIN the game mechanics.

For example, do you really think that a crew can recruit more people, jump and visit about 50+ planets, fight 30+ or more battles, collect the scrap, interact with aliens etc etc all within 2 hours?

The way time is modeled in FTL is abstract. Just because you can press JUMP immediately after a fight with the rebel flagship does not mean that it happens immediately in the game world. There could have been hours or days apart from the fights, even if it's represented by only 1 jump. The crew could have spent hours repairing damage, healed themselves, going to a safe jump point, jumping into the enemy system, spend another few hours or even days looking for the rebel flagship to fight again.

Just because the designers streamlined the game play to take out the boring bits like search for enemies ships for fights when you jump into the system, does not mean that everything was instantaneous.

In fact, from the reading of events text and the way the store was modeled, the game screams to you that time is abstractly modeled.

The "contradictions" you described is just a failure of imagination (I don't mean it in a bad way) in the interpretation of game lore.

EDIT: The key reason I brought up time being abstract is that a shitload of things could have happened between the time when your crew was trapped in the flagship to when you see and fight it again. There spelt it out in case my point was too subtle.