Moments that aren't quite game ending...

General discussion about the game.
IConquer

Moments that aren't quite game ending...

Postby IConquer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 pm

But they still make you ragequit:

I was in the early stages of the mantis B's run, and I had upgraded my teleporter in case of an AI enemy. After gaining two more crew for helm and engines, I ran into an AI and figured I'd better start boarding it to get it down to low hp.

Of course... It didn't help that I had neglected to put a second point of power into the teleporter when I sent my only two mantis warriors in. :oops:
Torchiest

Re: Moments that aren't quite game ending...

Postby Torchiest » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:47 am

Seriously, forgetting to teleport back before destroying the enemy ship has screwed me soooo many times. The ship I absolutely refuse to add a teleporter to now is the Fed Cruiser. The automatic shooting has ruined games multiple times.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:53 am

I used to rage quit all the time but then a couple times I instead continued on, and found out that the game is still playable when you accidentally kill your two Crystal guys in the Crystal cruiser, or your 2 mantises die right after you bought that teleporter, or that laser blast takes out your oxygen AND causes a hull breach when you had every door on the ship open to vent atmosphere, to force those 4 mantises into your medbay.

I remember that time I had to upgrade my medbay so it could heal my guys in spite of there being no oxygen on the ship, so they could run and fix that hull breach, then come back to the medbay for healing before going back out and fixing the oxygen as well. Those guys? They ended up taking out the final boss. It was epic. I'm so glad I didn't ragequit THAT one.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Torchiest

Postby Torchiest » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Oh yeah, continuing on after a devastating setback can be fun. It adds to the feeling of desperation and struggling with limited resources is sometimes fun. Sometimes it just sucks though. Usually, if it's bad enough, you get wiped out so soon afterwards that it doesn't really matter.
Jack257

Postby Jack257 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:57 pm

Once I got to the last part of the game where you have to destroy the Rebel Flagship and this time for once I actually had a good ship that stood a chance of winning. Unfortunately I jumped to the wrong beacon and the Flagship flew past me and then got too close to the Federation base and it was game over before I could even try to attack it. :x
IConquer

Postby IConquer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:30 am

Jack257 wrote:Once I got to the last part of the game where you have to destroy the Rebel Flagship and this time for once I actually had a good ship that stood a chance of winning. Unfortunately I jumped to the wrong beacon and the Flagship flew past me and then got too close to the Federation base and it was game over before I could even try to attack it. :x

I'd say that qualifies as game ending :lol:
BKT

Postby BKT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 pm

5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:48 pm

BKT wrote:This... :|

That is a really really short video. I assume those asteroids obliterated your ship in the 6 seconds after it?
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
BKT

Postby BKT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Either that or ESC > Restart— probably the latter...
Dontmindme

Postby Dontmindme » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 pm

I didn't rage quit, but not happy about it...

So, fighting a Zoltan in an asteroid field. I jump over to kill the crew after popping the Medbay with my Mantis/Rockman combo. In the process of "trimming" his weapons so my shields have his shots covered, an asteroid slipped through and hit his O2. I could not quite kill the crew in one jump, retrieved them and got ready to finish off the last of the crew, when I noticed...

It never repaired the O2, but did get Medbay up and running. Watching the doors open and close it became obvious that they had an airless ship with the remaining crew surviving only by sitting in the Medbay. Then I notice they are down to just one hull. So, I can't pop the Medbay to finish it (and get crewDead scrap). So pondering how to get the full scrap reward, I think about it. I have just 1 bar of Teleport 1, but I recall that once the crew dies, teleport becomes immediately available.

So I jump over and kill his crew...

It's then I realize...I'm in an asteroid field, so the teleport timer doesn't reset...

I watch in agony as my poor Mantis succumbs to lack of air. (Rockman has enough health to survive to be teleported back at least)